Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:22 am

Is it possible to access old NALP forms?

DJ JD
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby DJ JD » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:All else being equal, I can see "the people" maybe being a tie breaker. But it would be pretty far down on my list of considerations.

I guess if a firm puts nothing but sucky people in front of you, that's potentially a red flag ("Is this really the best they've got?"). But finding like 6-10 people that seem cool shouldn't be that hard.

Basically "the people" is pretty easy to game in a positive way for the firm. In two years when you actually start working all or most of "the people" could easily be gone and/or act differently toward you.


Couldn't the same argument work for most other aspects people choose a firm over?

Whether you pick it up for industry reputation for the type of work, or the people, if a rainmaker leaves and takes x amount of partners/associates with them, then you've got a raw deal as well.

That sword cuts both ways.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby BigZuck » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:39 pm

DJ JD wrote:
BigZuck wrote:All else being equal, I can see "the people" maybe being a tie breaker. But it would be pretty far down on my list of considerations.

I guess if a firm puts nothing but sucky people in front of you, that's potentially a red flag ("Is this really the best they've got?"). But finding like 6-10 people that seem cool shouldn't be that hard.

Basically "the people" is pretty easy to game in a positive way for the firm. In two years when you actually start working all or most of "the people" could easily be gone and/or act differently toward you.


Couldn't the same argument work for most other aspects people choose a firm over?

Whether you pick it up for industry reputation for the type of work, or the people, if a rainmaker leaves and takes x amount of partners/associates with them, then you've got a raw deal as well.

That sword cuts both ways.

And we all might get Lathamed and the entire big law machine might get Deweyed

Give then extremely limited contact you get during screeners/callbacks/recruiting events, "The people" is way down the list for me. No way would I choose an 80% offer firm (or whatever) over a 100% firm just because the hiring partner seemed like a dope dude (or whatever).

I mean, the dopeness might not even be genuine.

Choosing a firm based on the perceived dopeness of the people you meet is almost as bad as choosing a firm for the funness of their summer program IMO.

But as always, YMMV

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6344
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby 5ky » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Fwiw I would say I based my choice several years ago on offer rate first, then people second. I chose to make people and my feel of the firm's culture more impt than obsessing chambers bands or what have you for my practice group. I feel like it has worked out well for me in general. Biglaw kinda sucks, but I am very happy where I am.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14391
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Image
Last edited by Desert Fox on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm glad my firm no offers for fit. You don't want to work with dBags.

Are socially awkward people screwed?

kcdc1
Posts: 928
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby kcdc1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm glad my firm no offers for fit. You don't want to work with dBags.

Are socially awkward people screwed?

Can't socially awkward fake being personable for 10 weeks?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:59 pm

kcdc1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm glad my firm no offers for fit. You don't want to work with dBags.

Are socially awkward people screwed?

Can't socially awkward fake being personable for 10 weeks?


So... just don't be socially awkward. Awesome.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14391
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Image
Last edited by Desert Fox on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm glad my firm no offers for fit. You don't want to work with dBags.

Are socially awkward people screwed?


I got an offer, so no, not really. The filter is for assholes, irresponsible and immature people.

You just described the whole legal profession

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6379
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby First Offense » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:56 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm glad my firm no offers for fit. You don't want to work with dBags.

Are socially awkward people screwed?


I got an offer, so no, not really. The filter is for assholes, irresponsible and immature people.

You just described the whole legal profession

Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Just don't stand out (socially) if you are worried about being socially awkward. You can be socially awkward but things only become problematic if you revel in it and/or parade it in front of others consistently (and they don't like it).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just don't stand out (socially) if you are worried about being socially awkward. You can be socially awkward but things only become problematic if you revel in it and/or parade it in front of others consistently (and they don't like it).

Can you explain this more? I'm mainly concerned with small talk and social events.

kcdc1
Posts: 928
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby kcdc1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just don't stand out (socially) if you are worried about being socially awkward. You can be socially awkward but things only become problematic if you revel in it and/or parade it in front of others consistently (and they don't like it).

Not sure what the above advice means, but "hang out in your office and don't talk too much" is bad advice. It won't hurt you to seem a bit nerdy, but it could hurt to come off as disengaged and not visible. You want people to know who you are and what you're doing.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby North » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:29 pm

Now that we're a year out would you guys mind posting descriptions of your SA ITT: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=246799. I'm sure people about to start will appreciate it and you know you're looking for a reason to procrastinate on finals anyway. There is like no chance of outing if you post anon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:03 am

Can anyone who did a summer rotation through DPW's London office shed some light on what it was like?

alclaw10
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby alclaw10 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:21 pm

Thought I'd try to revive this thread since most of us are wrapping up post-bar trips and getting ready to start. Getting a bit anxious/nervous/excited, still haven't heard from my firm about what practice area I'm in, really anxious to get that.

doctoroflaw91
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:30 pm

alclaw10 wrote:Thought I'd try to revive this thread since most of us are wrapping up post-bar trips and getting ready to start. Getting a bit anxious/nervous/excited, still haven't heard from my firm about what practice area I'm in, really anxious to get that.


Great idea. I don't start until October 10, but I've definitely got the nervous/excited combo going on. I too have not heard about practice group.

alclaw10
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby alclaw10 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:11 pm

doctoroflaw91 wrote:
alclaw10 wrote:Thought I'd try to revive this thread since most of us are wrapping up post-bar trips and getting ready to start. Getting a bit anxious/nervous/excited, still haven't heard from my firm about what practice area I'm in, really anxious to get that.


Great idea. I don't start until October 10, but I've definitely got the nervous/excited combo going on. I too have not heard about practice group.



I start October 17th, but I can't help myself from constantly checking my email.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.