Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ron Howard

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Ron Howard » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:45 pm

North wrote:Offer. So fucking excited. Thank you TLS, almost went to FAMU at sticker, etc. <3

Congratulations! Reading your post made my day.

Postby 03152016 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:33 pm

congrats north

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:26 pm

Cobretti wrote:
North wrote:Offer. So fucking excited. Thank you TLS, almost went to FAMU at sticker, etc. <3

Congrats North, well deserved

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:16 pm

Have the majority of firms still not given out offers? I know we got ours a day or two before we finished.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:29 pm

Congrats North!!! So happy for you :)

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have the majority of firms still not given out offers? I know we got ours a day or two before we finished.

Depends on the firm. Some went out a week, some two weeks after. NY firms probably move faster than others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:15 am

No offered from Katten NYC. We had no indication until about week seven or eight that something was wrong and even then it was only rumors. In fact, when it came up briefly in a weekly meeting, we were told that the firm intended to give 100% offers as always. Without going into details, it's abundantly clear that the firm intended to do this before the summer even started.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:No offered from Katten NYC. We had no indication until about week seven or eight that something was wrong and even then it was only rumors. In fact, when it came up briefly in a weekly meeting, we were told that the firm intended to give 100% offers as always. Without going into details, it's abundantly clear that the firm intended to do this before the summer even started.

Really sorry to hear that man. It sounds like you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:08 pm

Appreciate it. One group I expressed interest in as a secondary or tertiary option, assuming my first preference didn't work out, will no longer exist in that office after this year. The worst part is that this was never mentioned to me until the very last week, and even then it wasn't by anyone involved with summers.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No offered from Katten NYC. We had no indication until about week seven or eight that something was wrong and even then it was only rumors. In fact, when it came up briefly in a weekly meeting, we were told that the firm intended to give 100% offers as always. Without going into details, it's abundantly clear that the firm intended to do this before the summer even started.

How many were no offered

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:20 pm

3 of 10 with no warning at final review or any point during the summer, so kinda shady

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Is katten seriously historically 100%?

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:41 pm

3/10 blindsided is really bad

Honestly no one had any idea it was coming? That's scary

North

Postby North » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Damn I was told that Katten was one of the ones you could rely on 100% from, that's really shitty of them

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:08 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
North wrote:Damn I was told that Katten was one of the ones you could rely on 100% from, that's really shitty of them

This is the problem with the "out the firm" brigade. Nobody is safe.

True, but it's also a great example of outing the firm providing useful information. The info is out there in time for the current 2Ls to really think twice before going to Katten.

swampman

Postby swampman » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
North wrote:Damn I was told that Katten was one of the ones you could rely on 100% from, that's really shitty of them

True, but it's also a great example of outing the firm providing useful information. The info is out there in time for the current 2Ls to really think twice before going to Katten.

And instead go to one of the other historically 100% firms... who will no offer you just as quickly if it will help their PPP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:28 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:3/10 blindsided is really bad

There were rumblings around week seven and eight but nothing substantial. By the time we had any idea that it was serious, it was obviously beyond too late. Even then, we still didn't really know. I suppose it bears repeating that we were assured multiple times that the firm intended on giving 100% offers as they had always done.

I could beat myself up trying to analyze every little conversation or sideways glance but with how it went down, and especially with how many people were no offered, I am confident that we not only had no idea it was coming but that we could not have known.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BaberhamLincoln wrote:3/10 blindsided is really bad

There were rumblings around week seven and eight but nothing substantial. By the time we had any idea that it was serious, it was obviously beyond too late. Even then, we still didn't really know. I suppose it bears repeating that we were assured multiple times that the firm intended on giving 100% offers as they had always done.

I could beat myself up trying to analyze every little conversation or sideways glance but with how it went down, and especially with how many people were no offered, I am confident that we not only had no idea it was coming but that we could not have known.

It's not on you. Shake it off and mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:38 pm

swampman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

And instead go to one of the other historically 100% firms... who will no offer you just as quickly if it will help their PPP.

That's what I wrestle with. I like to think other firms would have handled this differently but then again, maybe not. At the end of the day, if a 2L has an interview with Katten, they are going to try to get an offer. I would hope that if they had another offer, they would take it over Katten and view past performance, and specifically how they handled this, as damning. But we all know that someone will feel like he or she really connected with people during the screener and callback and that they will think that they will be on the right side of a decision if it has to be made. Or rather, they'll feel that way up until they are told that the firm is sorry but that they are not going to be on the right side. And they'll look back at the people they lunched with, joked with, drank with, and then they'll wonder what's next.

I'm surprised more firms don't do this. People talk about the summer model being outdated and outmoded. I doubt Katten's recruiting will be substantially hindered.

jbagelboy wrote:It's not on you. Shake it off and mail.

Thank you. I've been on it. Hopefully something works out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Katten dropped one in their Chicago office. There was never any indication of anything "wrong" on a firm-wide level or with finances.

Is that what you're hearing in NYC?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:03 pm

swampman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

The perfect is not the enemy of the good.

Besides, one might be inclined to hope that those who no-offer, especially for economic reasons, face consequences in recruiting and therefore indirectly in PPP. At the very least, it's another data point to consider for those choosing between firms. Doesn't help people who get blindsided by historical 100% firms, but we work with what we've got.

smaug

Postby smaug » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:06 pm

swampman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

The perfect is not the enemy of the good.

Besides, one might be inclined to hope that those who no-offer, especially for economic reasons, face consequences in recruiting and therefore indirectly in PPP. At the very least, it's another data point to consider for those choosing between firms. Doesn't help people who get blindsided by historical 100% firms, but we work with what we've got.

so close

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:10 pm

what is PPP

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:14 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”