Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
El Pollito
party fowl

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby El Pollito » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:12 pm

i'm still cracking up

goden

Postby goden » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:15 pm

Tbf if I knew carter Phillips would be hand delivering me my offer I would take Sidley over some V16s even

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:42 pm

goden wrote:Tbf if I knew carter Phillips would be hand delivering me my offer I would take Sidley over some V16s even

It's just a nice touch

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:44 pm

First Offense wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:lol at name dropping some boomer lit partner like he's a celebrity

Just looked him up. Gotta say - 80 cases argued in front of SCOTUS is pretty impressive.

Still - no one would know who he is. I can think of maybe a half-dozen names of lawyers in private practice that would have any real recognition outside of their little sphere.

He's a known dude. Dumb to brag about it, but definitely not just a bum on the street.

goden

Postby goden » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:50 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
First Offense wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:lol at name dropping some boomer lit partner like he's a celebrity

Just looked him up. Gotta say - 80 cases argued in front of SCOTUS is pretty impressive.

Still - no one would know who he is. I can think of maybe a half-dozen names of lawyers in private practice that would have any real recognition outside of their little sphere.

He's a known dude. Dumb to brag about it, but definitely not just a bum on the street.

He's the kind of dude where if I got a picture with him and posted it on Facebook my caption would have to explain who he is, kind of like Brian orapko, All pro linebacker

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:17 pm

First Offense wrote:

Prestige striving among lit attorneys makes me sick.

LazyLASA

Postby LazyLASA » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:12 am

Last edited by LazyLASA on Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:35 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

goden

Postby goden » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:38 am

Desert Fox wrote:What the fuck is a carter Phillips

Smh df

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Phillips

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:38 am

Desert Fox wrote:What the fuck is a carter Phillips

he's the guy redish talks about in class all of the time. not sure if you had him.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:57 pm

5ky wrote:outing firms actually prevents no offers from even happening. i have been in the room when multiple partners have openly wished they could no offer a summer (who, to be fair, was just horrible in terms of everything), but recruiting wouldn't let them because it would be bad press.

+1 to outing the firms. If you have been no offered or know someone who has, people need to know which firm it is. This is particular relevant for the people who are about to do OCI and base their career decisions in part on this information. Please, please, PLEASE help future students keep from making big mistakes. This is why we keep reminding people to be very careful before choosing Weil, Winston, K&L Gates, Kasowitz, Brown Rudnick, etc. We definitely kept several people away from Bingham last year. Conversely, firms that are fairly consistent about 100% offers (Milbank, Schulte, Willkie, etc.) should be commended.

If firms intend on seriously damaging students' careers and deciding they're not salvageable after ten weeks (yes, summer work product usually sucks; that's why you're supposed to train them), then let them be forced to defend that in an open marketplace. DO NOT let the offenders slide.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
5ky wrote:outing firms actually prevents no offers from even happening. i have been in the room when multiple partners have openly wished they could no offer a summer (who, to be fair, was just horrible in terms of everything), but recruiting wouldn't let them because it would be bad press.

+1 to outing the firms. If you have been no offered or know someone who has, people need to know which firm it is. This is particular relevant for the people who are about to do OCI and base their career decisions in part on this information. Please, please, PLEASE help future students keep from making big mistakes. This is why we keep reminding people to be very careful before choosing Weil, Winston, K&L Gates, Kasowitz, Brown Rudnick, etc. We definitely kept several people away from Bingham last year. Conversely, firms that are fairly consistent about 100% offers (Milbank, Schulte, Willkie, etc.) should be commended.

If firms intend on seriously damaging students' careers and deciding they're not salvageable after ten weeks (yes, summer work product usually sucks; that's why you're supposed to train them), then let them be forced to defend that in an open marketplace. DO NOT let the offenders slide.

I know I've asked before if there was a thread dedicated to firm stereotypes and maybe someone thought I was kidding, but it seems it would be very helpful

I.e watch out for firm x in city y Bc (insert reason or no offer story)

lawstudent1207

Postby lawstudent1207 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:11 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:

I know I've asked before if there was a thread dedicated to firm stereotypes and maybe someone thought I was kidding, but it seems it would be very helpful

I.e watch out for firm x in city y Bc (insert reason or no offer story)

+2

skers

Postby skers » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:20 pm

To reinforce the watch the fuck out for K&L thing, apparently last year they told their entire summer class to keep their options open and look around during 3L OCI. Doubt things are better now.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:26 pm

willkie had at least 1 cold offer this year but still 100% i think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Thank you for bringing the Weil no-offers to my attention. I had assumed they were a 100% offer firm because they are ranked so highly. I will be interviewing with them soon, and now they have gone from the top of my list to a last-resort safety.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:24 pm

no weil is a disaster

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:39 pm

skers wrote:To reinforce the watch the fuck out for K&L thing, apparently last year they told their entire summer class to keep their options open and look around during 3L OCI. Doubt things are better now.

Is this a specific city or in general?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Heard from a friend that Skadden no-offered three summers in New York. He's my only source. If someone else at Skadden could verify this, that'd be great.

skers

Postby skers » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:18 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:
skers wrote:To reinforce the watch the fuck out for K&L thing, apparently last year they told their entire summer class to keep their options open and look around during 3L OCI. Doubt things are better now.

Is this a specific city or in general?

Chicago is the office I've heard about, but it seems like a general thing.

anonymous5491

Postby anonymous5491 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Last edited by anonymous5491 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:14 pm

El Pollito wrote:no weil is a disaster

Weil was 100% this year and made it clear from beginning that everyone was going to get offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:23 pm

How do you all know your firms were 100%? I mean, I'm pretty sure mine was, but I can't be sure of it.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you all know your firms were 100%? I mean, I'm pretty sure mine was, but I can't be sure of it.

I just know my office was, which I've posted

Return to “Legal Employment”