Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
First Offense

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby First Offense » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Come on guys. Outing doesn't do anything but move more no offers to being cold offers which is, at best, marginally helpful, and at worst, continues this pattern of people thinking they're at a 100% firm until the surprise "welcome to Greenland" phone call.

A Cold offer is markedly better than a no offer. When a cold offer happens and you're interviewing with another firm, you can spin the "Yeah, I got an offer but I'm looking for a firm that has a better fit for me (be it practice group, personality, assignment, whatever)". A no offer doesn't allow you that leeway.

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:50 am

First Offense wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Come on guys. Outing doesn't do anything but move more no offers to being cold offers which is, at best, marginally helpful, and at worst, continues this pattern of people thinking they're at a 100% firm until the surprise "welcome to Greenland" phone call.

A Cold offer is markedly better than a no offer. When a cold offer happens and you're interviewing with another firm, you can spin the "Yeah, I got an offer but I'm looking for a firm that has a better fit for me (be it practice group, personality, assignment, whatever)". A no offer doesn't allow you that leeway.

You can also accept a cold offer and there is a decent chance they won't even remember or that you end up in a group where none of the partners have a clue you got cold offered. I'd rather hear about 5 friends getting cold offers than 1 getting a no no

wons

Postby wons » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:33 am

J9ofDiamonds wrote:
First Offense wrote:

You can also accept a cold offer and there is a decent chance they won't even remember or that you end up in a group where none of the partners have a clue you got cold offered. I'd rather hear about 5 friends getting cold offers than 1 getting a no no

This is perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever read on this site. Trust me, everyone will know you are cold offered, and you will be pushed out in a year or less. That might be "better" than a no offer in some technical sense, but it's still a career-threatening disaster. The cold offer rate is decidedly non-zero, and my friends who got them never really got back on their feet.

Put differently, if you are 3L interviewing after your summer at [insert firm here], and you say you got an offer but that [firm] wasn't a good fit for you personally, it's not like the other firms you're interviewing with are fooled.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:43 am

^ unnecessary anon

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:51 am

also i've heard of people accepting cold offers and things being just fine. not ideal, but still better than a no offer. and it's not impossible to lateral as a first year (assuming non-lit).
Last edited by El Pollito on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
J9ofDiamonds wrote:
First Offense wrote:

This is perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever read on this site. Trust me, everyone will know you are cold offered, and you will be pushed out in a year or less. That might be "better" than a no offer in some technical sense, but it's still a career-threatening disaster. The cold offer rate is decidedly non-zero, and my friends who got them never really got back on their feet.

Put differently, if you are 3L interviewing after your summer at [insert firm here], and you say you got an offer but that [firm] wasn't a good fit for you personally, it's not like the other firms you're interviewing with are fooled.

what?... there seems to be a good amount of 3L hiring.. i dont see how firms can distinguish those who got cold offers from those with actual offers..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:33 pm

North

Postby North » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:12 pm

Okay but for real though, fuck this wait

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Been a while, but Sidley LA was 100% offer, including the 1L. The offer came directly from Carter Phillips (which was pretty cool) on Monday, 4 days before most people left and 2-3 weeks before Stanford did.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:10 pm

spyke123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
J9ofDiamonds wrote:
First Offense wrote:

what?... there seems to be a good amount of 3L hiring.. i dont see how firms can distinguish those who got cold offers from those with actual offers..

I hate acknowledging that shit like this happens, but it probably isn't that hard to tell when someone is trying to "trade up" (e.g. a fried frank summer w/ offer interviewing at simpson) versus being cold offering and interviewing wherever you have a shot. No offense to anyone at either of those great firms, there are just some people who do this.

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Not debating the merits of cold offers vs. no offer, though a cold offer is by it's nature at least marginally better.

But outing firms definitely does make a difference. Firms don't want to take the PR hit. If you get no offered, you should definitely out the firm and office and shame them.

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:07 pm

Are people particularly interested in outing firms with significant no-offer rates, or any firm that no offers a summer at all. Because if it's the latter, it's not at all inconceivable or objectively irrational that a firm with a class of more than 20 people won't find 1 person they don't like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:59 pm

this should come as no surprise at this point, but K&L Gates issued multiple no-offers to SAs in its Pittsburgh office. i'm alerting every 2L I know to stay away.

adam91

Postby adam91 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Do most firms give out the offers during last week/day or do most have a 1-2 week wait time?

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:46 pm

adam91 wrote:Do most firms give out the offers during last week/day or do most have a 1-2 week wait time?

It just depends on the firm. I'd imagine NY has the fastest turnaround in average, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:51 pm

Do people not check the NALP SA offer data?

I went to an office of a top firm that no-offers a handful of people every year, and they no-offered a few people again this year. This wasn't a mystery, though. Everyone knew that coming in. Law students still have imperfect information in lots of areas when selecting firms, but this really isn't one of them.

NALP tells us that K&L Gates Pitt, to pick an example being discussed in this topic, no-offered 4 2014 SAs in a 21 person class. These things usually aren't unknown, and "outing" firms here seems a bit odd when it's normally published.

Postby 03152016 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:16 pm

when does the latest info get published on nalp tho?

i'd find it incredibly useful to know if, say, a traditional 100% offer firm has multiple no-offers in a certain office this summer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Perkins chi 100% offer and treated SAs very well

PvblivsScipio

Postby PvblivsScipio » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Been a while, but Sidley LA was 100% offer, including the 1L. The offer came directly from Carter Phillips (which was pretty cool) on Monday, 4 days before most people left and 2-3 weeks before Stanford did.

Cool story bro.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:35 pm

PvblivsScipio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Been a while, but Sidley LA was 100% offer, including the 1L. The offer came directly from Carter Phillips (which was pretty cool) on Monday, 4 days before most people left and 2-3 weeks before Stanford did.

Cool story bro.

PDF signature tool is one hell of a technology

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:36 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
PvblivsScipio wrote:

Cool story bro.

PDF signature tool is one hell of a technology

OP Anon: In person. Doesn't change the offer at all, just thought it was a nice touch.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:50 pm

lol at name dropping some boomer lit partner like he's a celebrity

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:01 pm

I don't know who Carter Phillips is

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:07 pm

BigZuck wrote:I don't know who Carter Phillips is

Boy band member who won American idol

No wait...

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:10 pm

Rahviveh wrote:lol at name dropping some boomer lit partner like he's a celebrity

Just looked him up. Gotta say - 80 cases argued in front of SCOTUS is pretty impressive.

Still - no one would know who he is. I can think of maybe a half-dozen names of lawyers in private practice that would have any real recognition outside of their little sphere.

Return to “Legal Employment”