Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Capitol_Idea

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I hope one negative review is not enough to get cold offered or no offered....

Honest answer: it probably depends on the firm and who is giving the review.

But if you do well at your other assignments and come off as a competent professional to others, you ought to be fine if you're at a 100% firm. Esp. if it was just the accuracy/quality of work product as opposed to a review about your attitude or professionalism.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:42 am

Also lol @ these antisocial media enthusiasts. If your network is entirely peer law students (ugh) then yeah your excitement at success can come off bad. But seriously 'no posting about job/school success, babies, marriage/engagement' is just silly.

Maybe I'm the weird one for being happy when others I know are doing well regardless of my own situation.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:08 am

I know very few people in this thread in real life. But what with waiting threads, application threads, 1L/2L threads, etc. I feel like I have gone through some sort of shared experience with most everyone here. I also know how stressful all this crap is. So I am genuinely happy any time someone shares a success, and it sucks to hear when people struggle.

Maybe it's lame but TLS has helped me with a lot of stuff and meant a lot to me over the past couple years so it makes me happy to hear that other TLSers are happy/getting what they want out of their law school experience.

zosluu

Postby zosluu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:48 am

Hey guys. Have only posted a couple times this summer. I'm a 1L summer at a v100 in a major market. Offers don't officially come out till one week from now. Told I would be getting an offer though. However, it would be for full time employment. As a result, I can only come and work for 2 weeks at the firm next summer(excited about that). Is this common? Pretty crazy to think Im gonna go through two years of law school with a job waiting

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:20 am

zosluu wrote:Hey guys. Have only posted a couple times this summer. I'm a 1L summer at a v100 in a major market. Offers don't officially come out till one week from now. Told I would be getting an offer though. However, it would be for full time employment. As a result, I can only come and work for 2 weeks at the firm next summer(excited about that). Is this common? Pretty crazy to think Im gonna go through two years of law school with a job waiting

I don't think it's common, but I don't get the two weeks next summer thing.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:27 am

I think it used to be common. My mentor who left big law to start his own firm said that's how they historically did it. Let you explore next summer and bring you back for two weeks to wine and dine and remind you to come back

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:47 am

elterrible78 wrote:
zosluu wrote:Hey guys. Have only posted a couple times this summer. I'm a 1L summer at a v100 in a major market. Offers don't officially come out till one week from now. Told I would be getting an offer though. However, it would be for full time employment. As a result, I can only come and work for 2 weeks at the firm next summer(excited about that). Is this common? Pretty crazy to think Im gonna go through two years of law school with a job waiting

I know of some that did that this year. Maybe it's a dc thing now.

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:01 am

First Offense wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

I know of some that did that this year. Maybe it's a dc thing now.

At my firm we have a couple SAs doing that, but I assumed it was more their choice and just splitting the summer and then deciding what firm they wanted

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:Also lol @ these antisocial media enthusiasts. If your network is entirely peer law students (ugh) then yeah your excitement at success can come off bad. But seriously 'no posting about job/school success, babies, marriage/engagement' is just silly.

Maybe I'm the weird one for being happy when others I know are doing well regardless of my own situation.

I don't think anyone here was seriously suggesting that people shouldn't post about babies, marriage, or even job/school success in limited circumstances.

I also don't think anyone, even the weird/antisocial people, have mostly law students in their social network, but assuming you're generally social and a likable person at your school, you're likely to have a significant amount of people from law school on your FB/IG/whatever else you use... I think it's general courtesy to at least be cognizant of your peers when posting certain things, and if your natural response is something along the lines of "I shouldn't have to tip-toe over people's feelings" or "who cares if they get butthurt," then you're probably a douche.

I feel happy for people, especially because I'm in the same position as a lot of the people, but I know (at least as a 1L, maybe 2L will be different) that most people didn't get the same opportunity, so I'm always cognizant of what others would think.

But anyways, this isn't exactly the type of douche behavior I was originally referring too. This might not be in line with what I said earlier, but I think the best way to articulate what I'm thinking of is:
  • *Log onto Facebook*
  • *See person who you know is douche make random post*
  • As you hover over their name, you see the firm name in their bio
  • "Godd*mn, I hate people from that firm, no wonder they work there"
  • *later that day* Get LinkedIn invited from other douche... crazy coincidence, they work there too
  • *thinks* "I wonder if they put their summer job(s) on Facebook too"
  • *pulls up FB* Of course they did...
  • *wonders if this is an actual douche thing*
  • *Quickly browse class Facebook group to confirm or deny and see strong correlation*
  • *smug self-approval*
  • *Shake my head because I realized I wasted 3 minutes of my life doing this*

So, maybe posting work information itself isn't douche-like, but I just associate it with douches.

OutoftheWoods

Postby OutoftheWoods » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:36 am

the worst is when previously non-douchy people become douches.

someone i know actually - and i think this is the worst of the offenders ive seen ever - said along the lines of "i can't believe how lawyers complain about their jobs! i love my law firm and everyone is so happy!" - at a V5... well, of course most lawyers complain about their jobs, because most of them dont work in big law.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:38 am

At my firm they did that with 1L SA's although they were required to come back for 2-4 weeks to get the full time offer.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:40 am

OutoftheWoods wrote:the worst is when previously non-douchy people become douches.

someone i know actually - and i think this is the worst of the offenders ive seen ever - said along the lines of "i can't believe how lawyers complain about their jobs! i love my law firm and everyone is so happy!" - at a V5... well, of course most lawyers complain about their jobs, because most of them dont work in big law.

Half of TLS is people in biglaw complaining about their jobs, I'm confused as to what you think biglaw is.

Foghornleghorn

Postby Foghornleghorn » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:50 am

DJ JD wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote: "I shouldn't have to tip-toe over people's feelings" or "who cares if they get butthurt," then you're probably a douche.

If you get butthurt about things people post on the internet and feel the need to document your butthurt in bullet point format, then you're probably a douche. Do less.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:55 am

Foghornleghorn wrote:
DJ JD wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote: "I shouldn't have to tip-toe over people's feelings" or "who cares if they get butthurt," then you're probably a douche.

If you get butthurt about things people post on the internet and feel the need to document your butthurt in bullet point format, then you're probably a douche. Do less.

I don't know about douche, but certainly annoying. Getting your career started is a huge life event and worthy of celebrating, but in law school you have to be absurdly quiet about it. There is a clear line from "Yesss I got a good job" and "I'm finally realizing my dream of being better than everyone because I'm going to Cravath".

But law students suck, so what can you do.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:00 pm

Yea that's normal for 1L SAs. Just go to another firm for 10-12 weeks and then do the final 2.

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:13 pm

Foghornleghorn wrote:
DJ JD wrote:

If you felt the need to make this post and pretend I'm butthurt to make yourself feel better, you're probably one of the people I'm talking about.

Projection isn't flattering.

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:23 pm

North wrote:They did this convo for like 10 fucking pages in last year's thread, can we not

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Storytime:

My firm is a satellite, with a small class of summer associates. They gave us all offers on our last day. We go out to celebrate at one last firm event. One summer gets completely, shit-faced drunk (and note that they have warned him about his drinking problem before, because he once missed a firm flight after a heavy night of boozing). He inappropriately touches all of the women in the room at some point throughout the night, including licking a partner's neck. It was completely out of character for him and outside of that he's been a chill bro the whole summer. What's sad is that if he had just held his shit together one last night, everything would have been okay.

Offer retracted.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Storytime:

My firm is a satellite, with a small class of summer associates. They gave us all offers on our last day. We go out to celebrate at one last firm event. One summer gets completely, shit-faced drunk (and note that they have warned him about his drinking problem before, because he once missed a firm flight after a heavy night of boozing). He inappropriately touches all of the women in the room at some point throughout the night, including licking a partner's neck. It was completely out of character for him and outside of that he's been a chill bro the whole summer. What's sad is that if he had just held his shit together one last night, everything would have been okay.

Offer retracted.

Sounds very out of character for a guy who had been warned about his drinking problem weeks earlier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:10 pm

Meant those two incidents aside, but yes, he had no excuse

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:11 pm

that's amazing if true

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:13 pm

What did all you NY weirdos do for housing this summer? Did the firm have a block that you rented from or did you just find something on your own? Trying to budget for the future, this summer in TX was cheap AF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:33 pm

An hero we wanted, an hero we deserved.

FSK

Postby FSK » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:An hero we wanted, an hero we deserved.

This was me

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:27 pm

Did firms pay for your summer relocation (flight)? I know a company I used to work for did that - movers and flight

Return to “Legal Employment”