Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:09 pm

North wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At my 100% offer firm, it is one of the 2 mistakes I've seen a summer make that doesn't involve pants-removal that seriously imperiled an offer.

You can't just tell us one of the two dude come on

We had a summer pull his dick out and start pissing in the middle of a busy road after a night out with a bunch of juniors outside the bar. No offer.

EDIT: I've heard this behavior alone would not constitute a no offer. The dude also (loudly) complained about not being given substantive enough assignments. The summer had allegedly claimed some of his assignments were "beneath" him.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:17 pm

... So does that count as pants removal? Seems like a grey zone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:27 pm

If your little summer associate shows up at the office, or to any events, that certainly counts as no-pants.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:31 pm

Fair, fair. But there were two mistakes not involving pants removal, and if that one does count, seems like there's one more story out there that I was fishing for.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If your little summer associate shows up at the office, or to any events, that certainly counts as no-pants.

Good use of anon.

Yes anything escaping your pants that should be otherwise enclosed by them kinda defeats the purpose, essentially = no pants

KM2016

Postby KM2016 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:45 pm

Should (hopefully) be a big week for offers. Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:01 pm

MCFC wrote:... So does that count as pants removal? Seems like a grey zone.

Pants at ankles so, technically not off.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm helping with the process of making comments on a draft term sheet. Nobody asked for my comments or anything (obviously), but I'm noticing a good number of objectively wrong spelling, grammar and phrasing issues. Should I make note of the issues and point them out when I turn in my actual assignment, or is this a shut up and just do exactly what you were asked to do kind of situation?

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SEND AN EMAIL 'FIXING THE MISTAKES' THAT IS SENT TO ANYONE OTHER THAN THE MOST JUNIOR ASSOCIATE. That is a MAJOR, cardinal, dingable sin. NEVER MAKE ANYONE LOOK BAD IN FRONT OF OTHERS.

The appropriate play here is to, (a) DO NOT FIX PHRASING OR GRAMMAR ISSUES UNLESS SO OBVIOUSLY WRONG THAT YOU LOOK LIKE A MORON FOR MISSING (B) to the extent there are typos or other issues that are so manifestly obvious that you will embarrass yourself if not raised, ideally, make a HAND MARKUP and go to the most junior associate IN PERSON, all apologetic, and say something like "hey, I thought I might have noticed some glitches when i was reviewing, I'm sure I'm either mistaken or these were already caught" and give to that junior so that they can either (a) make the determination on whether to pass the comments up or (b) if it they were the junior's mistake, fix without the senior folks knowing. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANYTHING THAT CAN BE FORWARDED BY EMAIL IN CASE THEY GET PISSED AND WANT TO MAKE YOU LOOK BAD BY FORWARDING TO THE MORE SENIOR ASSOCIATE ALL LIKE 'LOL LOOK AT THIS JERK SUMMER'.

The easiest way to a rapturous review is to save an associates ass without embarassing them. BUT I AM ALL CAPSING TO PREVENT YOU FROM UNWITTINGLY MAKING A BIG MISTAKE. The easiest way to a ding is to try to show an associate up. At my 100% offer firm, it is one of the 2 mistakes I've seen a summer make that doesn't involve pants-removal that seriously imperiled an offer.

Meh

I mean it's TLSers were talking about so maybe you do need to be emphatic to get people to save themselves from themselves. But assuming you have some degree of professionalism/are an adult/have common sense I don't see how circling typos on an assignment that requires you to review a document is going to get you no offer pwned

(...no offer?)

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm helping with the process of making comments on a draft term sheet. Nobody asked for my comments or anything (obviously), but I'm noticing a good number of objectively wrong spelling, grammar and phrasing issues. Should I make note of the issues and point them out when I turn in my actual assignment, or is this a shut up and just do exactly what you were asked to do kind of situation?

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SEND AN EMAIL 'FIXING THE MISTAKES' THAT IS SENT TO ANYONE OTHER THAN THE MOST JUNIOR ASSOCIATE. That is a MAJOR, cardinal, dingable sin. NEVER MAKE ANYONE LOOK BAD IN FRONT OF OTHERS.

The appropriate play here is to, (a) DO NOT FIX PHRASING OR GRAMMAR ISSUES UNLESS SO OBVIOUSLY WRONG THAT YOU LOOK LIKE A MORON FOR MISSING (B) to the extent there are typos or other issues that are so manifestly obvious that you will embarrass yourself if not raised, ideally, make a HAND MARKUP and go to the most junior associate IN PERSON, all apologetic, and say something like "hey, I thought I might have noticed some glitches when i was reviewing, I'm sure I'm either mistaken or these were already caught" and give to that junior so that they can either (a) make the determination on whether to pass the comments up or (b) if it they were the junior's mistake, fix without the senior folks knowing. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANYTHING THAT CAN BE FORWARDED BY EMAIL IN CASE THEY GET PISSED AND WANT TO MAKE YOU LOOK BAD BY FORWARDING TO THE MORE SENIOR ASSOCIATE ALL LIKE 'LOL LOOK AT THIS JERK SUMMER'.

The easiest way to a rapturous review is to save an associates ass without embarassing them. BUT I AM ALL CAPSING TO PREVENT YOU FROM UNWITTINGLY MAKING A BIG MISTAKE. The easiest way to a ding is to try to show an associate up. At my 100% offer firm, it is one of the 2 mistakes I've seen a summer make that doesn't involve pants-removal that seriously imperiled an offer.

I mean, I'm an SA too, so take this for what it's worth, but it seems like a lot of the above might be kind of overkill (bearing in mind that there could obviously be very real differences between firms on how this kind of thing is perceived). I think the real takeaway is the "never make anyone look bad in front of others" part. If you approach it with that in mind, I think you should be fine. I mean, last summer the most senior corporate partner gave me an assignment like this, and I fixed a couple obviously wrong things, and was praised for my attention to detail for catching them. Shit happens; things get misspelled, sentences are "fixed" in a way that leave subject/verb dissonance and whatnot, etc. As long as you're obviously just trying to help and not show anyone up (and make sure you don't come off that way), you're fine in most places, I'd think. I mean, a little hedging ("hey, I was wondering about this...") goes a long way, but I don't think you have to completely walk on eggshells about it.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My mentor and supervising junior are both out right now but I've got a substantive question. Any practicing corporate/cap markets folks know what a "Rider" is and where I might look to find them if a comment on a doc I'm looking at says something like "put Rider 26 here"?

A rider is usually just something that was too long to write out on a markup, and it's easier to write "insert rider X here." My experience is that if you're being asked to do something like this, you usually get a Word doc or something with the riders in it (and it sounds like there is a bunch). I'd check to make sure it wasn't e-mailed to me and I just missed it, and if not, I'd do everything else that I could (assuming you've been assigned to make changes) and then ask about where you can find the rider.

If I'm way off on this, hopefully someone will chime in.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:03 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My mentor and supervising junior are both out right now but I've got a substantive question. Any practicing corporate/cap markets folks know what a "Rider" is and where I might look to find them if a comment on a doc I'm looking at says something like "put Rider 26 here"?

A rider is usually just something that was too long to write out on a markup, and it's easier to write "insert rider X here." My experience is that if you're being asked to do something like this, you usually get a Word doc or something with the riders in it (and it sounds like there is a bunch). I'd check to make sure it wasn't e-mailed to me and I just missed it, and if not, I'd do everything else that I could (assuming you've been assigned to make changes) and then ask about where you can find the rider.

If I'm way off on this, hopefully someone will chime in.

You are correct. There may be a handwritten rider attached to the back of the document or you should have received an email with the riders in it.

donzelsnik

Postby donzelsnik » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Why would they do that? I once stayed till 2, but that was because I realized I made a big mistake that affected the whole product, and wanted to correct it before the deadline. There is no way summers are getting work that requires all nighters. It's human nature to want to feel what you're doing is important, but the all nighter would reflect such a delusional perspective I'd think people would have concerns. Of course, it's possible that Wachtell's business plan is to start a big prestigious firm, get clients, get summers and have summers do all the work while they are in the Caribbean.

Oh, you would not believe what I've had to do here then.

FSK

Postby FSK » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:21 pm

I stress bought a salad spinner over my impending offer decision, which hopefully will be soon.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:23 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:I stress bought a salad spinner over my impending offer decision, which hopefully will be soon.

Lol
You - salad spinner
Me - three pairs of shoes

Oops

jimmywho

Postby jimmywho » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:24 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:I stress bought a salad spinner over my impending offer decision, which hopefully will be soon.

Lol
You - salad spinner

Oops

Still better than buying a whole chocolate cake and eating it by yourself :oops:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Any hayboo offers?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:45 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:

Lol
You - salad spinner

Oops

Try a watch, a (third) mechanical keyboard, and headphones. Like... all on Friday. Whoops.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:58 pm

are firm offer/no-offer dates widely different or do they generally come in at a similar time frame? like, late aug, etc.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:00 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:are firm offer/no-offer dates widely different or do they generally come in at a similar time frame? like, late aug, etc.

You could probably try asking the recruiter what the time frame is.

Postby 2014 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:01 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:are firm offer/no-offer dates widely different or do they generally come in at a similar time frame? like, late aug, etc.

For firms with big classes they are almost invariably the last week of work or the week immediately after. The smaller the summer class, the more firm dependent it is. Haven't hold of any that consistently push it past about 3-4 weeks after though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Mine "can come up to three weeks after my last day"

OCI and PLIP here I come :-|

sanjola

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby sanjola » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:BR sale is now. I like their shirts a lot and they fit me off the rack pretty well. I don't have any experience with target shirts but imo it's pretty noticeable in the office when someone is wearing a cheap shirt w/o collar stays. But honestly I don't think anyone really cares let's be real here the person whose opinion really matters is prob fat and balding anyways

Cool cool ordering now. Yeah I like BR tailored slims. They fit really well and for $30ish after sales it's a steal IMO.

Balding and fat: maybe that's a requirement to become partner material. If I start balding and gain enough weight, can I enter as a partner?

A bunch of ours are 6'+ square jawed fit dudes with beautiful hair. It's kind of intimidating.

Out the firm (re: single and ready to mingle).

BaberhamLincoln

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:00 pm

sanjola wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:BR sale is now. I like their shirts a lot and they fit me off the rack pretty well. I don't have any experience with target shirts but imo it's pretty noticeable in the office when someone is wearing a cheap shirt w/o collar stays. But honestly I don't think anyone really cares let's be real here the person whose opinion really matters is prob fat and balding anyways

Cool cool ordering now. Yeah I like BR tailored slims. They fit really well and for $30ish after sales it's a steal IMO.

Balding and fat: maybe that's a requirement to become partner material. If I start balding and gain enough weight, can I enter as a partner?

A bunch of ours are 6'+ square jawed fit dudes with beautiful hair. It's kind of intimidating.

Out the firm (re: single and ready to mingle).

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Do any of you get the impression young associates spend time together at your firm outside of work? Like they're friends? Curious

Use anon and say what firm plz

(This is kinda important to me and curious about what firms are like that)

Return to “Legal Employment”