Check out top-law-schools.com Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:28 pm

Guess you had to be there

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:31 pm

Paul Hastings LA went to the ESPYs...

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:16 am

BaberhamLincoln wrote:Guess you had to be there
I thought it was funny. I mean it depends on the size of the revolving door chamber thing

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:38 am

No drama, just a toxic environment. Sorry to disappoint!
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:39 am

flawschoolkid wrote:No drama, just a toxic environment. Sorry to disappoint!
Sorry to hear :/ hopefully you'll be able to move elsewhere, good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:43 am

flawschoolkid wrote:No drama, just a toxic environment. Sorry to disappoint!
how toxic? whats going on?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:45 am

Its a biglaw firm. Its not hard to imagine.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:48 am

flawschoolkid wrote:Its a biglaw firm. Its not hard to imagine.
So did the toxic environment result in a no offer? Or is it just so bad that you don't want to come back, even though you'll probably get an offer?

If it's the latter, don't make any rash decisions. If you get an offer, lie and say that you're thrilled.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:53 am

rpupkin wrote: If you get an offer, lie and say that you're thrilled.
This has been my m.o. since like week 3. I'm at a satellite, so if I get no-offered it'll probably for business reasons (based on observations & history).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:55 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:57 am

BaberhamLincoln wrote:Guess you had to be there
FWIW, I thought it was funny.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:what kind of firm cant even keep its shit together for your SA
It's harder for satellites with one or two SAs, which I think is flawschoolkid's situation. Those offices don't have big, systematic summer programs, so it's tougher to shield the one or two summers from the misery and dysfunction. I'm just guessing.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:00 am

rpupkin wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:what kind of firm cant even keep its shit together for your SA
It's harder for satellites with one or two SAs, which I think is flawschoolkid's situation. Those offices don't have big, systematic summer programs, so it's tougher to shield the one or two summers from the misery and dysfunction. I'm just guessing.
Confirm. Just trying to put in my time and go inhouse. I've got feelers out for better opportunities, though, and I've had a great summer independent of the firm.

If any of y'all haven't seen Book of Mormon yet - go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:03 am

My situation:

SA at a well-respected Chicago biglaw firm. 100% want to do corporate. Over my summer, I've realized the corporate group is very slow and seems like a lot of tension among the associates in terms of who gets what little work is available. The firm is a traditionally 100% offer firm. I'd like to try to use my offer and jump ship to a higher ranked Chicago firm.

Me: t-14 median, very strong Chicago ties, decent WE. My concerns are: (a) word gets around to the firm I received my offer from that I am looking at other firms (Chicago is small legal community); (b) I already missed out on "3L OCI" so I would be stuck with mass-mailing; (c) I have no idea how to phrase a cover letter to mention that I received an offer and am interested in seeking other opportunities.

Any advice or can someone point me to another thread that answers these questions? Should I start my own thread?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:My situation:

SA at a well-respected Chicago biglaw firm. 100% want to do corporate. Over my summer, I've realized the corporate group is very slow and seems like a lot of tension among the associates in terms of who gets what little work is available. The firm is a traditionally 100% offer firm. I'd like to try to use my offer and jump ship to a higher ranked Chicago firm.

Me: t-14 median, very strong Chicago ties, decent WE. My concerns are: (a) word gets around to the firm I received my offer from that I am looking at other firms (Chicago is small legal community); (b) I already missed out on "3L OCI" so I would be stuck with mass-mailing; (c) I have no idea how to phrase a cover letter to mention that I received an offer and am interested in seeking other opportunities.

Any advice or can someone point me to another thread that answers these questions? Should I start my own thread?
a) Chicago isn't that small. Don't worry about word going around.

b) 3L OCI should not have even happened yet. There is plenty of time to mass mail. Start this weekend.

c) Say you are interested in the corporate work at those better corp. firms. They'll get it. Don't have to shittalk your current firm at all.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:My situation:

3L hiring in Chicago is later from what I have heard anyways, not through the usual OCI channels. Also, if you already have an offer, they won't rescind it if you interview elsewhere.

Not sure which firm you're at, but Jenner, Winston, and Latham have all done 3L hiring for corporate at least the last two years. So I would start there. Depends on your t-14, but if you are at NU, Michigan, or UChi your career services offices should definitely be able to help.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:18 am

pretty sure mayer brown scoops up a couple people way late in the process the last 3 years or so.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:35 am

Thanks guys. I will wait until I officially have my offer in hand (should be early next week) and then start crafting my cover letter and updating the resume.

Any good threads or anything on how to craft a cover letter and approach interviews with an offer in hand? I am at one of NU, Chi, UM so I will try to set something up with career services.

What is the normal time frame for accepting an offer? I'd feel weird having my offer sitting out in limbo for a period of time while I interview at other firms. Can I accept it and then reneg or is that a big no-no?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:39 am

Anonymous User wrote: What is the normal time frame for accepting an offer? I'd feel weird having my offer sitting out in limbo for a period of time while I interview at other firms. Can I accept it and then reneg or is that a big no-no?
That's a dick move but you should be given until October 1st to accept which is usually plenty of time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:11 am

Historically 100% offer firm. Our end of summer reviews were just scheduled for next week. They also scheduled a fancy dinner for the same day. Here's to hoping it's a celebratory shitshow!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:04 am

are firms that gave you an offer during 2L OCI likely to reoffer you again if your grades went up? im going to reach out with an email, but dont want to get my hopes up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:55 am

I'd like to point out that all of this interest in 3L OCI shows just how god damn idiotic biglaw hiring is. Same with clerkship hiring to an extent. How is a student supposed to reasonably make a life altering commitment two years before it really has consequence, and not seriously regret it a large portion of the time?

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:58 am

flawschoolkid wrote:I'd like to point out that all of this interest in 3L OCI shows just how god damn idiotic biglaw hiring is. Same with clerkship hiring to an extent. How is a student supposed to reasonably make a life altering commitment two years before it really has consequence, and not seriously regret it a large portion of the time?
Go to Quinn.

Seriously, no shit. Everyone, including those in biglaw, know how fucking stupid the hiring model is.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:are firms that gave you an offer during 2L OCI likely to reoffer you again if your grades went up? im going to reach out with an email, but dont want to get my hopes up.
It's certainly a positive that you had an offer and they might care about your grades going up but it's by no means a guarantee. Hiring needs might be different this year and the "fool me once" POV might put off some recruiters from bothering.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:32 am

I'd rather eat my boss's socks than work at Quinn.

The sad thing is, I'd take an offer from Quinn at this point if they gave me one. :/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”