Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:28 pm

One of the summer at my firm (small class) emailed all the summer asking to pass off a few assignments assignments.....after aggressively taking everything that came into the system for the first few weeks. Not sure that was a bright idea.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:57 pm

What qualifies as a "Fuck up"?

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Lol no one is going to care if you try to gun make work like a psycho. Do a normal amount of work and don't suck at it.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:00 am

I'm summering at a 15 lawyer firm where I have to bill my time. It has to be 8 hours but when you don't reach 8 real billables you just enter in a code for like administration hours basically. Right now a few attorneys are out of town and there isn't really anything for me to do. I have asked the people who are here if they need help with anything but they do not at the moment. I feel weird just sitting in my office not doing anything, especially since it means I might have most of my day billed as empty time but I'm not sure if there is anything else I can really do. Any advice appreciated.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 am

lawhopeful10 wrote:I'm summering at a 15 lawyer firm where I have to bill my time. It has to be 8 hours but when you don't reach 8 real billables you just enter in a code for like administration hours basically. Right now a few attorneys are out of town and there isn't really anything for me to do. I have asked the people who are here if they need help with anything but they do not at the moment. I feel weird just sitting in my office not doing anything, especially since it means I might have most of my day billed as empty time but I'm not sure if there is anything else I can really do. Any advice appreciated.

enjoy your summer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:26 am

What's the consensus on whether we need to attend more specialty-type social events? Most of ours have been pretty generalized, but tonight's involves learning to do something (read: art/cooking/music/etc) and I'm just not interested, at all. Have attended almost all social things this summer as have the majority of my classmates. Small class so an absence would get noticed, but pretty chill place overall.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the consensus on whether we need to attend more specialty-type social events? Most of ours have been pretty generalized, but tonight's involves learning to do something (read: art/cooking/music/etc) and I'm just not interested, at all. Have attended almost all social things this summer as have the majority of my classmates. Small class so an absence would get noticed, but pretty chill place overall.

varies a lot by firm/market. without knowing more, if most people go to everything and it's a small class, you probably shouldn't start skipping stuff just because it doesn't interest you.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:45 am

Most of ours have been pretty generalized, but tonight's involves learning..

Do you really want to leave the impression that you have little/no interest in "learning"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:01 am

Just got research assignment that I got a dispositive answer on after 45 seconds of googling.

How to play this?

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:04 am

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:21 am

I love my firm and everyone I've worked with thus far. I think I chose well and could hack it here for at least long enough to pay off the loans.

Writing this now so I can out myself in a couple years and see if it still holds true or if it was a massive kool aid OD.

Desert Fox

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:25 am

fobstory.jpeg

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:48 am

summers are so adorable

Desert Fox

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:53 am

fobstory.jpeg

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Swamped with assignments. I have too much on my plate. Other summers seem to think they do too, but it's objectively true that I have more. How do I go about not getting more assignments. Wat I do?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Swamped with assignments. I have too much on my plate. Other summers seem to think they do too, but it's objectively true that I have more. How do I go about not getting more assignments. Wat I do?

Does your firm have a "summer assignment coordinator" or some such role? If so, go to that person and explain that you're very busy right now and that you don't need additional assignments. If you don't have a central coordinator--if it's free-markety and partners/associates assign you work directly--then let any attorney who assigns you work know that you're too busy to take on additional work at the moment.

Don't make this complicated. Just communicate.

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:52 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DELG

Postby DELG » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
El Pollito wrote:summers are so adorable

I thought I was being so realistic and not boarding the hype train. Until I got back my first day as a real associate and the firm who was all about making us feeling welcome during summer with happy hours and welcome parities all the sudden was like "hey you are back, here is an office we barely cleaned since the last associate rage quit leaving a bunch of crap here, ugh we'll have a block of cheese in a couple weeks to say hello."

also lol @ how many people who were super cool during my summer were already gone or left right after i arrived

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:39 pm

DELG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I thought I was being so realistic and not boarding the hype train. Until I got back my first day as a real associate and the firm who was all about making us feeling welcome during summer with happy hours and welcome parities all the sudden was like "hey you are back, here is an office we barely cleaned since the last associate rage quit leaving a bunch of crap here, ugh we'll have a block of cheese in a couple weeks to say hello."

also lol @ how many people who were super cool during my summer were already gone or left right after i arrived

the good ones always escape

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:46 pm

El Pollito wrote:
DELG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

the good ones always escape

Dammit so the one third year I like will definitely be gone in two years :| This isn't fair.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:42 pm

I feel like this article underrates the REAL WORK I have been doing.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-summer- ... 1436229949

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:44 pm

My favorite person this summer also just came into my office and told me she's quitting. Sigh. And my favorite person from callbacks quit before I got here.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Micdiddy wrote:My favorite person this summer also just came into my office and told me she's quitting. Sigh. And my favorite person from callbacks quit before I got here.

i loved when summers would walk by as I was slamming my crap into the garbage in the hallway after I had given notice

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:12 pm

Dear Partners and Associates,

What are the keyphrases/signs indicating "offer" and "no offer" at mid summer review at your firm?

Do attorneys email/talk each other and discuss whether a summer will be offered or not before the executive committee meets?

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:18 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:My favorite person this summer also just came into my office and told me she's quitting. Sigh. And my favorite person from callbacks quit before I got here.

i loved when summers would walk by as I was slamming my crap into the garbage in the hallway after I had given notice

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Legal Employment”