Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby 03152016 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:46 pm

set up dat call forwarding

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:48 pm

skers wrote:Yeah, fuck all those people who want y'all to have free delicious food at the painful price of talking w/ other human beings. What the shit. Y'all have the rest of your careers to depressingly shovel food down at your desk.

Yeah I dont get it either. When people at my firm don't have lunches they usually come knock on my door and are like hey do you have lunch plans. I know they just want some free lunch as they should.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:48 pm

Brut wrote:i'm rarely at the office that late
no one seems to care

You stay out of this thread for weeks, and then you come in here throwing that hanging curveball? Focus, Brut.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:51 pm

i'm with the recruiting dude on this. i know you're SURE the associate wasn't joking, but maybe it was just a good poker face. there are plenty of reasons to distrust your own perception here: as a summer you're rightly sensitive to criticism from superiors so you're not the best judge. plus the general aversion to human emotion that brought you to law school in the first place, etc.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:
skers wrote:Yeah, fuck all those people who want y'all to have free delicious food at the painful price of talking w/ other human beings. What the shit. Y'all have the rest of your careers to depressingly shovel food down at your desk.

Good strawman, bro. There's a difference, of course, between consistently refusing to eat lunch with others and occasionally eating lunch at your desk.

You should never be eating lunch at your desk like a slave. At least go outside and enjoy the sunshine

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My favorite are the people who frequently admonish you not to stay past 6 as a summer, then send you strings of email requests around 6:30 or 7 acting surprised they couldn't reach you at your desk phone.

This weird mental game is really prevalent at my firm also.

Close companion case: when there's a firm event one night that goes late, and then first thing the next morning some associate comes over and acts very surprised that you're in the office and working "so early" at 8:30 or 9:00. No dude, I want a job, so I'm here, because that's what people do. I'm here at a normal time, even if I'm hungover, and so is every other summer, and so were you when you were a summer, because that's how this whole thing works. The summer is super cushy and awesome, and basically the only thing I'm expected to do is be in my office for a handful of hours a day, so I don't really understand why some associates want to make it sound like even less than that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My favorite are the people who frequently admonish you not to stay past 6 as a summer, then send you strings of email requests around 6:30 or 7 acting surprised they couldn't reach you at your desk phone.

Close companion case: when there's a firm event one night that goes late, and then first thing the next morning some associate comes over and acts very surprised that you're in the office and working "so early" at 8:30 or 9:00. No dude, I want a job, so I'm here, because that's what people do. I'm here at a normal time, even if I'm hungover, and so is every other summer, and so were you when you were a summer, because that's how this whole thing works. The summer is super cushy and awesome, and basically the only thing I'm expected to do is be in my office for a handful of hours a day, so I don't really understand why some associates want to make it sound like even less than that.
Are you at a 100% offer firm? People regularly come in at 11 and leave at 2 or 3 here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you at a 100% offer firm? People regularly come in at 11 and leave at 2 or 3 here.

Not 100%, but close. It's rare for our summers to not be in the office by 9 or to leave before 5ish though. I actually got called out by recruiting earlier this summer because I left at 3:30 one day and someone happened to come looking for me.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

calm down they're just making conversation

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:48 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:02 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lol. jfc. small talk, how does it work?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:10 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah. Anon bro, you need to relax.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:40 pm

Folks will show up at 10 or 10:15 when super hung over. I've gone in at 9:00 after rough nights and shit if I haven't I hated myself and wished I'd just slept in

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm a 1LSA at V100 in NYC. Had midsummer reviews for Summer Associate program two days ago. Had excellent feedback on all my projects except one by a partner. However, this project was on a topic not suitable for a 1L (don't want to give specifics but assume this is the case). Partner acknowledged it wasn't for a 1L along w/ hiring partner (even apologized for the project). Still, he didn't give me a good review. What should I make of this?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1LSA at V100 in NYC. Had midsummer reviews for Summer Associate program two days ago. Had excellent feedback on all my projects except one by a partner. However, this project was on a topic not suitable for a 1L (don't want to give specifics but assume this is the case). Partner acknowledged it wasn't for a 1L along w/ hiring partner (even apologized for the project). Still, he didn't give me a good review. What should I make of this?

Sounds like they told it to you straight: you've generally done good work, but you did poor work on a challenging assignment that was over your head. This isn't unusual--it's nothing to worry about.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:40 pm

I hope that's real.

Desert Fox

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:44 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:49 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2015/06/summer-associate-allegedly-dismissed-over-wild-incident-with-cocaine-hookers/

ABOVE DA LAW

Wait....wasn't zacharus85 at GW? And wasn't he in his 30s? And didn't his posts often suggest poor social judgment?

I was wondering why he disappeared. It all makes sense now.

DrRighteous

Postby DrRighteous » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:51 pm

rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2015/06/summer-associate-allegedly-dismissed-over-wild-incident-with-cocaine-hookers/

ABOVE DA LAW

Wait....wasn't zacharus85 at GW? And wasn't he in his 30s? And didn't his posts often suggest poor social judgment?

Wrong on 2/3

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:52 pm

rpupkin wrote:

ABOVE DA LAW

He didn't disappear.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:52 pm

rpupkin wrote:

ABOVE DA LAW

Lol he changed his name. He most certainly has not disappeared.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:53 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

ABOVE DA LAW

Even more suspicious.

Also, you can change your name? Why?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:59 pm

rpupkin wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

ABOVE DA LAW

Even more suspicious.

Also, you can change your name? Why?

So that you can pinpoint him like you did. And yeah, you can just message a mod telling them what new handle you want.

Desert Fox

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:59 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”