Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby 03152016 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:46 pm

set up dat call forwarding

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13820
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:48 pm

skers wrote:Yeah, fuck all those people who want y'all to have free delicious food at the painful price of talking w/ other human beings. What the shit. Y'all have the rest of your careers to depressingly shovel food down at your desk.


Yeah I dont get it either. When people at my firm don't have lunches they usually come knock on my door and are like hey do you have lunch plans. I know they just want some free lunch as they should.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:48 pm

Brut wrote:i'm rarely at the office that late
no one seems to care

You stay out of this thread for weeks, and then you come in here throwing that hanging curveball? Focus, Brut.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby soj » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:51 pm

i'm with the recruiting dude on this. i know you're SURE the associate wasn't joking, but maybe it was just a good poker face. there are plenty of reasons to distrust your own perception here: as a summer you're rightly sensitive to criticism from superiors so you're not the best judge. plus the general aversion to human emotion that brought you to law school in the first place, etc.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:
skers wrote:Yeah, fuck all those people who want y'all to have free delicious food at the painful price of talking w/ other human beings. What the shit. Y'all have the rest of your careers to depressingly shovel food down at your desk.

Good strawman, bro. There's a difference, of course, between consistently refusing to eat lunch with others and occasionally eating lunch at your desk.


You should never be eating lunch at your desk like a slave. At least go outside and enjoy the sunshine

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My favorite are the people who frequently admonish you not to stay past 6 as a summer, then send you strings of email requests around 6:30 or 7 acting surprised they couldn't reach you at your desk phone.


This weird mental game is really prevalent at my firm also.

Close companion case: when there's a firm event one night that goes late, and then first thing the next morning some associate comes over and acts very surprised that you're in the office and working "so early" at 8:30 or 9:00. No dude, I want a job, so I'm here, because that's what people do. I'm here at a normal time, even if I'm hungover, and so is every other summer, and so were you when you were a summer, because that's how this whole thing works. The summer is super cushy and awesome, and basically the only thing I'm expected to do is be in my office for a handful of hours a day, so I don't really understand why some associates want to make it sound like even less than that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My favorite are the people who frequently admonish you not to stay past 6 as a summer, then send you strings of email requests around 6:30 or 7 acting surprised they couldn't reach you at your desk phone.


This weird mental game is really prevalent at my firm also.

Close companion case: when there's a firm event one night that goes late, and then first thing the next morning some associate comes over and acts very surprised that you're in the office and working "so early" at 8:30 or 9:00. No dude, I want a job, so I'm here, because that's what people do. I'm here at a normal time, even if I'm hungover, and so is every other summer, and so were you when you were a summer, because that's how this whole thing works. The summer is super cushy and awesome, and basically the only thing I'm expected to do is be in my office for a handful of hours a day, so I don't really understand why some associates want to make it sound like even less than that.
Are you at a 100% offer firm? People regularly come in at 11 and leave at 2 or 3 here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My favorite are the people who frequently admonish you not to stay past 6 as a summer, then send you strings of email requests around 6:30 or 7 acting surprised they couldn't reach you at your desk phone.


This weird mental game is really prevalent at my firm also.

Close companion case: when there's a firm event one night that goes late, and then first thing the next morning some associate comes over and acts very surprised that you're in the office and working "so early" at 8:30 or 9:00. No dude, I want a job, so I'm here, because that's what people do. I'm here at a normal time, even if I'm hungover, and so is every other summer, and so were you when you were a summer, because that's how this whole thing works. The summer is super cushy and awesome, and basically the only thing I'm expected to do is be in my office for a handful of hours a day, so I don't really understand why some associates want to make it sound like even less than that.
Are you at a 100% offer firm? People regularly come in at 11 and leave at 2 or 3 here.


Not 100%, but close. It's rare for our summers to not be in the office by 9 or to leave before 5ish though. I actually got called out by recruiting earlier this summer because I left at 3:30 one day and someone happened to come looking for me.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17852
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby El Pollito » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My favorite are the people who frequently admonish you not to stay past 6 as a summer, then send you strings of email requests around 6:30 or 7 acting surprised they couldn't reach you at your desk phone.


This weird mental game is really prevalent at my firm also.

Close companion case: when there's a firm event one night that goes late, and then first thing the next morning some associate comes over and acts very surprised that you're in the office and working "so early" at 8:30 or 9:00. No dude, I want a job, so I'm here, because that's what people do. I'm here at a normal time, even if I'm hungover, and so is every other summer, and so were you when you were a summer, because that's how this whole thing works. The summer is super cushy and awesome, and basically the only thing I'm expected to do is be in my office for a handful of hours a day, so I don't really understand why some associates want to make it sound like even less than that.

calm down they're just making conversation

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14376
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:48 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:02 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My favorite are the people who frequently admonish you not to stay past 6 as a summer, then send you strings of email requests around 6:30 or 7 acting surprised they couldn't reach you at your desk phone.


This weird mental game is really prevalent at my firm also.

Close companion case: when there's a firm event one night that goes late, and then first thing the next morning some associate comes over and acts very surprised that you're in the office and working "so early" at 8:30 or 9:00. No dude, I want a job, so I'm here, because that's what people do. I'm here at a normal time, even if I'm hungover, and so is every other summer, and so were you when you were a summer, because that's how this whole thing works. The summer is super cushy and awesome, and basically the only thing I'm expected to do is be in my office for a handful of hours a day, so I don't really understand why some associates want to make it sound like even less than that.

calm down they're just making conversation


lol. jfc. small talk, how does it work?

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:10 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My favorite are the people who frequently admonish you not to stay past 6 as a summer, then send you strings of email requests around 6:30 or 7 acting surprised they couldn't reach you at your desk phone.


This weird mental game is really prevalent at my firm also.

Close companion case: when there's a firm event one night that goes late, and then first thing the next morning some associate comes over and acts very surprised that you're in the office and working "so early" at 8:30 or 9:00. No dude, I want a job, so I'm here, because that's what people do. I'm here at a normal time, even if I'm hungover, and so is every other summer, and so were you when you were a summer, because that's how this whole thing works. The summer is super cushy and awesome, and basically the only thing I'm expected to do is be in my office for a handful of hours a day, so I don't really understand why some associates want to make it sound like even less than that.

calm down they're just making conversation

Yeah. Anon bro, you need to relax.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:40 pm

Folks will show up at 10 or 10:15 when super hung over. I've gone in at 9:00 after rough nights and shit if I haven't I hated myself and wished I'd just slept in

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm a 1LSA at V100 in NYC. Had midsummer reviews for Summer Associate program two days ago. Had excellent feedback on all my projects except one by a partner. However, this project was on a topic not suitable for a 1L (don't want to give specifics but assume this is the case). Partner acknowledged it wasn't for a 1L along w/ hiring partner (even apologized for the project). Still, he didn't give me a good review. What should I make of this?

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1LSA at V100 in NYC. Had midsummer reviews for Summer Associate program two days ago. Had excellent feedback on all my projects except one by a partner. However, this project was on a topic not suitable for a 1L (don't want to give specifics but assume this is the case). Partner acknowledged it wasn't for a 1L along w/ hiring partner (even apologized for the project). Still, he didn't give me a good review. What should I make of this?

Sounds like they told it to you straight: you've generally done good work, but you did poor work on a challenging assignment that was over your head. This isn't unusual--it's nothing to worry about.


User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17852
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby El Pollito » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:40 pm

I hope that's real.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14376
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:44 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:49 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2015/06/summer-associate-allegedly-dismissed-over-wild-incident-with-cocaine-hookers/

ABOVE DA LAW

Wait....wasn't zacharus85 at GW? And wasn't he in his 30s? And didn't his posts often suggest poor social judgment?

I was wondering why he disappeared. It all makes sense now.

DrRighteous
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 6:49 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby DrRighteous » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:51 pm

rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2015/06/summer-associate-allegedly-dismissed-over-wild-incident-with-cocaine-hookers/

ABOVE DA LAW

Wait....wasn't zacharus85 at GW? And wasn't he in his 30s? And didn't his posts often suggest poor social judgment?

I was wondering why he disappeared. It all makes sense now.


Wrong on 2/3

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12908
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby ymmv » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:52 pm

rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2015/06/summer-associate-allegedly-dismissed-over-wild-incident-with-cocaine-hookers/

ABOVE DA LAW

Wait....wasn't zacharus85 at GW? And wasn't he in his 30s? And didn't his posts often suggest poor social judgment?

I was wondering why he disappeared. It all makes sense now.


He didn't disappear.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby chuckbass » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:52 pm

rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2015/06/summer-associate-allegedly-dismissed-over-wild-incident-with-cocaine-hookers/

ABOVE DA LAW

Wait....wasn't zacharus85 at GW? And wasn't he in his 30s? And didn't his posts often suggest poor social judgment?

I was wondering why he disappeared. It all makes sense now.

Lol he changed his name. He most certainly has not disappeared.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:53 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2015/06/summer-associate-allegedly-dismissed-over-wild-incident-with-cocaine-hookers/

ABOVE DA LAW

Wait....wasn't zacharus85 at GW? And wasn't he in his 30s? And didn't his posts often suggest poor social judgment?

I was wondering why he disappeared. It all makes sense now.

Lol he changed his name. He most certainly has not disappeared.

Even more suspicious.

Also, you can change your name? Why?

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby chuckbass » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:59 pm

rpupkin wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2015/06/summer-associate-allegedly-dismissed-over-wild-incident-with-cocaine-hookers/

ABOVE DA LAW

Wait....wasn't zacharus85 at GW? And wasn't he in his 30s? And didn't his posts often suggest poor social judgment?

I was wondering why he disappeared. It all makes sense now.

Lol he changed his name. He most certainly has not disappeared.

Even more suspicious.

Also, you can change your name? Why?

So that you can pinpoint him like you did. And yeah, you can just message a mod telling them what new handle you want.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14376
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:59 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.