Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FSK

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby FSK » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:44 pm

ABOVE DA LAW. ABOVE DA LAW> ABOVE DA LAW

Edit: See title, apropos

JusticeJackson

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby JusticeJackson » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:07 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justkeepswimming794

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby justkeepswimming794 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:53 am

JusticeJackson wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:Also, I want to put some stuff in the OP on how to not get no-offered. Props if its funny.

My firm had one no-offer last year. I asked some associates what he did, and they said it ended up being a three strikes sort of thing:

1. Wore flip-flops to work. It's a CA firm so "business casual" is closer to "casual" than "business," but rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
2. Unabashedly spent most of each day parked in front of the TV in the dining area watching the World Cup.
3. Since he spent all day watching soccer, had to stay late a lot to get actual work done. Firm sometimes pays for dinner delivery when you have to work late, and evidently he opted for the $80 lobster delivery and billed the firm.

So, word of advice for everyone: don't be that guy.

From experience, it's easy to big deal insignificant shit and create an after the fact story for why a good dude was no offered. My favorite summer ever was no offered. He was a good dude and I gave him good reviews all summer. 2 of the 3 partners that matter thought his work sucked so it didn't matter that he was a good guy that did good work for everyone else. The next summer I heard all kinds of bullshit ober hyped stories for why he got canned.

wow thats really depressing/shitty

ETA: JJ I really appreciate you adding this to the previous post by banana split. seems like it can really come down to luck of the draw for offers even if you're doing everything right and its shitty when people make BS up to go with their narrative (not necessarily saying thats the case here, just saying it happens a lot and I appreciate the lookin out)

Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Rick James Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:00 am

I'm working at a v50 HQ in a secondary market and I agree with the above. It seems like for the past five years, they've no offered at lest one summer--yet every time the associates/partners are asked about it, they give all these outlandish stories as to why the summer(s) were no-offered and how bad they were, etc...

The interview process here was very thorough so idk If crazies consistently slip through the crack, why not look at the hiring committee?

It just seems sketch and it's easier to shittalk a no-offered candidate and create a narrative later on

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm freaking out right now. I usually go to lunch with an attorney every single day, but today I went to pick up a sandwich on my own. An associate ran into me on the elevator and reamed me out when he/she found out I wasn't doing lunch with an attorney. This is my 2nd time all summer not doing lunch with an attorney and I'm completely overwhelmed with anxiety and panic right now. Obviously I'm not going to say anything to anyone and I'm never going to do this again, but that doesn't help what's already done. Ugh :(

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm freaking out right now. I usually go to lunch with an attorney every single day, but today I went to pick up a sandwich on my own. An associate ran into me on the elevator and reamed me out when he/she found out I wasn't doing lunch with an attorney. This is my 2nd time all summer not doing lunch with an attorney and I'm completely overwhelmed with anxiety and panic right now. Obviously I'm not going to say anything to anyone and I'm never going to do this again, but that doesn't help what's already done. Ugh :(

Ummm, take some xanax or something, this is not a big deal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:12 pm

The associate did not make it seem like it was not a big deal.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The associate did not make it seem like it was not a big deal.

If you're not a troll (or even if you are a troll), please describe the "reaming out."

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm freaking out right now. I usually go to lunch with an attorney every single day, but today I went to pick up a sandwich on my own. An associate ran into me on the elevator and reamed me out when he/she found out I wasn't doing lunch with an attorney. This is my 2nd time all summer not doing lunch with an attorney and I'm completely overwhelmed with anxiety and panic right now. Obviously I'm not going to say anything to anyone and I'm never going to do this again, but that doesn't help what's already done. Ugh :(

Wow, you realize you are taking money out of associates pockets by not letting them expense meals with you right? This is so unbelievably selfish I can't believe it. God have mercy on your soul.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:37 pm

I almost did this one day but then stopped and realized I'm not a terrible human being. How do you even sleep at night you monster.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:41 pm

It honestly feels like I fuck up at least one thing everyday. I also feel like I take way too long on things that don't have an explicit deadlines. I know it shouldn't, but this shit decently stresses me out, and this isn't even a firm I think I'll end up at.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Slow week so far, probably because of the holiday. I've asked around for projects, but there don't seem to be any available. This situation does not help in terms of making the time pass faster.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:01 pm

I'm not a troll. I decided to go talk to someone in recruiting about it and the recruiting person said it was totally fine, not to worry about it, and the associate must have been joking. That made me feel a lot better, even though the associate was absolutely not joking. It's hard to convey the associate's tone but the best way I can describe it was judgmental, disapproving, and insistent. There was no smiling and they kept repeating that I wasn't supposed to eat lunch alone, that we are told never to eat lunch at our desks, and that I really shouldn't do what I was about to go do (go grab a sandwich and be back quickly). I kept repeating "Even just to grab a sandwich? Even if it's only my 2nd time ever?" and the associate never softened. Couldn't even enjoy my darn sandwich after that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:03 pm

What I was told by someone who is summering at Latham is that the dude missed multiple flights to the event that were on Latham's dime. He then finally got there and proceeded to run up a huge mini bar tab in his hotel room (also billed to the firm). No idea if the hooker and blow shit is true

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not a troll. I decided to go talk to someone in recruiting about it and the recruiting person said it was totally fine, not to worry about it, and the associate must have been joking. That made me feel a lot better, even though the associate was absolutely not joking. It's hard to convey the associate's tone but the best way I can describe it was judgmental, disapproving, and insistent. There was no smiling and they kept repeating that I wasn't supposed to eat lunch alone, that we are told never to eat lunch at our desks, and that I really shouldn't do what I was about to go do (go grab a sandwich and be back quickly). I kept repeating "Even just to grab a sandwich? Even if it's only my 2nd time ever?" and the associate never softened. Couldn't even enjoy my darn sandwich after that.

Be more confident. And also think, do you really think this is something that would result in a no-offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Been working on a deal for a while. Was supposed to close yesterday, so I made plans to go out of town for the weekend. 4 hours into my 7 hour drive I get an email asking if I can work on Saturday because closing got pushed back. I respond saying I'm available and happy to help as long as it won't cause any issues that I work remotely because I'm already out of town. Working remotely is pretty common outside regular hours for this group so I though that'd be fine.

Get an email back saying they got another summer to come in and to have a good weekend.

No offer? Should I seriously have turned the car around and cancelled on my SO?

Well, at the very least it looks like I'm getting iced out of this practice group. Great.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:18 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:22 pm

We sometimes have free lunches and are allowed, encouraged, and possibly expected to ask attorneys out to lunch. I haven't done it yet because hell, man, sometimes I've gotta get my Big Mac on in peace.

If I get no offered for that then so be it.

...no offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:24 pm

I don't know. This isn't my first run in with this associate. Last week we had an evening firm event and I told the associate in passing that I was planning to bring a date, and they made a shocked face and said it was inappropriate. The associate (who didn't attend the event and wasn't involved in the planning) actually said it was "bold" of me to bring a date and that I shouldn't do it. In fact 3 other summers brought dates, and the attorney who was in charge of the event had explicitly cleared us to bring dates ahead of time. So I just feel like I'm constantly crossing wires with this associate. It's not really comforting that you're technically in the right when you're still somehow pissing off an associate. I wouldn't mind, given that they're not supervising any of my work and not on the hiring committee, but they *are* in my practice group of choice.

PvblivsScipio

Postby PvblivsScipio » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know. This isn't my first run in with this associate. Last week we had an evening firm event and I told the associate in passing that I was planning to bring a date, and they made a shocked face and said it was inappropriate. The associate (who didn't attend the event and wasn't involved in the planning) actually said it was "bold" of me to bring a date and that I shouldn't do it. In fact 3 other summers brought dates, and the attorney who was in charge of the event had explicitly cleared us to bring dates ahead of time. So I just feel like I'm constantly crossing wires with this associate. It's not really comforting that you're technically in the right when you're still somehow pissing off an associate. I wouldn't mind, given that they're not supervising any of my work and not on the hiring committee, but they *are* in my practice group of choice.

Wouldn't worry about it. That associate sounds like a twat and, because you aren't doing work for them, has zero power over any offer decisions.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:26 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:27 pm

PvblivsScipio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't know. This isn't my first run in with this associate. Last week we had an evening firm event and I told the associate in passing that I was planning to bring a date, and they made a shocked face and said it was inappropriate. The associate (who didn't attend the event and wasn't involved in the planning) actually said it was "bold" of me to bring a date and that I shouldn't do it. In fact 3 other summers brought dates, and the attorney who was in charge of the event had explicitly cleared us to bring dates ahead of time. So I just feel like I'm constantly crossing wires with this associate. It's not really comforting that you're technically in the right when you're still somehow pissing off an associate. I wouldn't mind, given that they're not supervising any of my work and not on the hiring committee, but they *are* in my practice group of choice.

Wouldn't worry about it. That associate sounds like a twat and, because you aren't doing work for them, has zero power over any offer decisions.

seriously. he/she sounds like a total dick

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BigZuck wrote:We sometimes have free lunches and are allowed, encouraged, and possibly expected to ask attorneys out to lunch. I haven't done it yet because hell, man, sometimes I've gotta get my Big Mac on in peace.

...no offer?

:|

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:38 pm

BigZuck wrote:We sometimes have free lunches and are allowed, encouraged, and possibly expected to ask attorneys out to lunch. I haven't done it yet because hell, man, sometimes I've gotta get my Big Mac on in peace.

...no offer?

I'm 100% with you. It's such a relief not to spend 2h stuffing myself to the point of discomfort. Still do that like 3-4 days a week but gotta have some recovery days too.

Wait or are you saying you have had no free lunches at all so far

Cuz that would be kind of weird to me tbh. But I've heard places vary on this a lot. Here I'd say the majority of summers are going out to free lunch on any given day. Maybe even like 75-80%.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:42 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:

...no offer?

I'm 100% with you. It's such a relief not to spend 2h stuffing myself to the point of discomfort. Still do that like 3-4 days a week but gotta have some recovery days too.

Wait or are you saying you have had no free lunches at all so far

Cuz that would be kind of weird to me tbh. But I've heard places vary on this a lot. Here I'd say the majority of summers are going out to free lunch on any given day. Maybe even like 75-80%.

Usually it works out that there isn't a planned lunch once a week. But we can ask attorneys if we want to, or just do our own thing.

Return to “Legal Employment”