Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
5ky

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby 5ky » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:44 pm

they got another SA specifically so you wouldn't have to cancel, that's a good thing

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:46 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pretty sure blowing off work would get you no-offered but not fired. Illegal drugs might do it at a big firm to get you fired - all jokes aside, I can't imagine they tolerate that shit in their associates or Summers.

Recreational, illegal drug use is largely tolerated in big law. It's very unlikely that Latham (or any other big law firm) would fire--not just no offer, but actually fire--a summer associate because of rumors that the summer was snorting coke in his hotel room.

My guess is that other summers heard the rumors about the coke and assumed that was the reason for the firing, but that the guy was fired for some other reason.

i think you're understating this. if a firm had credible proof a summer was snorting coke in his hotel room at a firm retreat, i don't think it's at all a shock if that person were fired

LA Spring

Postby LA Spring » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Been working on a deal for a while. Was supposed to close yesterday, so I made plans to go out of town for the weekend. 4 hours into my 7 hour drive I get an email asking if I can work on Saturday because closing got pushed back. I respond saying I'm available and happy to help as long as it won't cause any issues that I work remotely because I'm already out of town. Working remotely is pretty common outside regular hours for this group so I though that'd be fine.

Get an email back saying they got another summer to come in and to have a good weekend.

No offer? Should I seriously have turned the car around and cancelled on my SO?

If you were one of our summers it wouldn’t be a problem unless you were one of our two borderline cases. Assuming your work is stellar, “all is good.”

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Skadden drop says he failed to disclose something he should have that came up in background.

He is also a huge fucking asshole, so there's that.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:52 pm

5ky wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pretty sure blowing off work would get you no-offered but not fired. Illegal drugs might do it at a big firm to get you fired - all jokes aside, I can't imagine they tolerate that shit in their associates or Summers.

Recreational, illegal drug use is largely tolerated in big law. It's very unlikely that Latham (or any other big law firm) would fire--not just no offer, but actually fire--a summer associate because of rumors that the summer was snorting coke in his hotel room.

My guess is that other summers heard the rumors about the coke and assumed that was the reason for the firing, but that the guy was fired for some other reason.

i think you're understating this. if a firm had credible proof a summer was snorting coke in his hotel room at a firm retreat, i don't think it's at all a shock if that person were fired

Yeah, but how does a firm obtain "credible proof" about something like this? Does the firm launch an investigation?

Btw, I'm assuming, based on what I've read here, that the guy was snorting coke in his own hotel room. If he's doing lines off his bread plate during a firm dinner, then I agree that he's done.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:54 pm

LA Spring wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Been working on a deal for a while. Was supposed to close yesterday, so I made plans to go out of town for the weekend. 4 hours into my 7 hour drive I get an email asking if I can work on Saturday because closing got pushed back. I respond saying I'm available and happy to help as long as it won't cause any issues that I work remotely because I'm already out of town. Working remotely is pretty common outside regular hours for this group so I though that'd be fine.

Get an email back saying they got another summer to come in and to have a good weekend.

If you were one of our summers it wouldn’t be a problem unless you were one of our two borderline cases. Assuming your work is stellar, “all is good.”

don't listen to this person, anon

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:54 pm

5ky wrote:
LA Spring wrote:

+1

swampman

Postby swampman » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:56 pm

rpupkin wrote:Btw, I'm assuming, based on what I've read here, that the guy was snorting coke in his own hotel room. If he's doing lines off his bread plate during a firm dinner, then I agree that he's done.

Given that strangers on the internet are discussing his cocaine use, it probably wasn't very discreet.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:15 pm

rpupkin wrote:
5ky wrote:
LA Spring wrote:

+1

Why? I think that was perfectly fine advice. Better course is to be available 100% of the time obviously but no one would hold this against any SA at my firm provided it was handled tactfully.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:03 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
5ky wrote:
LA Spring wrote:

+1

Why? I think that was perfectly fine advice. Better course is to be available 100% of the time obviously but no one would hold this against any SA at my firm provided it was handled tactfully.

Read the advice again broham

(It was a troll job, U got whooshed)

UpandDown97

Postby UpandDown97 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:05 am

LA Spring wrote:

Now how woud this play out if you were an associate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:10 am

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:01 am

BigZuck wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
5ky wrote:
LA Spring wrote:

+1

Read the advice again broham

(It was a troll job, U got whooshed)
ah ok. Thought folks were objecting to the "don't sweat it" part not the "just do stellar work!" part.

gk101

Postby gk101 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:36 am

agree with what everyone else said - it's not a big deal at all. no need to worry about it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:06 am

swampman wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Btw, I'm assuming, based on what I've read here, that the guy was snorting coke in his own hotel room. If he's doing lines off his bread plate during a firm dinner, then I agree that he's done.

Given that strangers on the internet are discussing his cocaine use, it probably wasn't very discreet.

All due respect I don't agree. The only reason strangers on the internet are talking about it is because he's apparently already been fired and it came out after people were looking for a reason.

I'm guessing whatever happened, happened on Latham's LA trip and if the guy bought out the penthouse suite throwing revolving door parties where he was doing coke openly in front of actual associates than its his own fault. If instead he was doing coke discreetly in his own room and maybe a couple other SA's saw, did it with, heard maybe he was doing it and they let it slip with their big f'ing mouths to associates, then Latham proceeds to fire or subject him to drug testing then firing him because of hearsay and rumors (even if true but they didn't witness or have evidence)... that's not right and reflects poorly of Latham in my opinion.

Of course the firm can do what it wants in hiring and my opinion is irrelevant, but as a general indication of valuing privacy and personal space it should give future applicants pause. More importantly: I don't know the whole story or what they did to confirm, could've been right.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:36 am

It reflects extremely poorly on you as a summer to pull any kind of ridiculous, tone deaf shit like this. The firm invites you to a fancy several day event, all expenses paid, and you just have to top it? Lawyers need a little more subtlety. Also, I agree it would be shitty for an employer to penalize you for substance abuse in a truly private space, like your own apartment after work or on weekends or what you do at a festival or club.

But it's adolescent to insist that the firm retreat qualifies as "privacy" - you're at a firm event, not your own fiesta with college buddies - act accordingly. If all these rumors are true about the firing, this isn't about "personal space" while you're at a firm function. Not that any of this matters.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:05 am

is this all baseless speculation? bc if so, lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:14 am

El Pollito wrote:is this all baseless speculation? bc if so, lol.

Well it's more basehead speculation, but yes. SHABAM!

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:27 am

i knew someone would make that shitty joke

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote: then Latham proceeds to fire or subject him to drug testing then firing him because of hearsay and rumors (even if true but they didn't witness or have evidence)... that's not right and reflects poorly of Latham in my opinion.

I have no idea what actually happened, but I'm confident that Latham didn't do this. No big law firm is going to lead a recreational-drug-use investigation that involves interviewing witnesses and drug testing. That's why I'm wondering what the real story is.

anyriotgirl

Postby anyriotgirl » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:59 pm

does literally no one have a friend they could text to get the scoop?

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:10 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:does literally no one have a friend they could text to get the scoop?

lol prob not

anyriotgirl

Postby anyriotgirl » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:17 pm

El Pollito wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:does literally no one have a friend they could text to get the scoop?

lol prob not

I do, but I'm too embarrassed to in case I have to explain where I heard this rumor. I'm assuming this is everyone's reason

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:32 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
El Pollito wrote:

lol prob not

I do, but I'm too embarrassed to in case I have to explain where I heard this rumor. I'm assuming this is everyone's reason

Come on sacrifice yourself PLZ <3

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:36 pm

I haven't posted because there are a lot of conflicting stories going about. The general consensus between all sources is: (1) firm event, (2) drugs or prostitutes or both, (3) somehow people at the firm were involved, whether it is because it was next to the managing partner's suite or associates were invited to the party, (4) the person has some sort of connections (stories range from senator's son to african prince to walmart CEO's nephew). FWIW I have a friend at Latham who confirmed that someone was, indeed, fired, but cannot confirm the details.

Lots of people are probably not posting because they don't want to be outed because they either got the information from a specific friend or it is what is circulating around your firm. But realistically (1) probably lots of people have the same information you do and (2) that's what the anon function is for, posting information that has a risk of outing you.

Return to “Legal Employment”