Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
LA Spring
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:52 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby LA Spring » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:20 am

What I find a bit surprising is the number of times partners have asked me about [particular] summers. FWIW: Even feedback from JAs may play a role on who’s in/out. This afternoon I receive an email without the attachment … c’mon how hard is that?

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:23 am

LA Spring wrote:What I find a bit surprising is the number of times partners have asked me about [particular] summers. FWIW: Even feedback from JAs may play a role on who’s in/out. This afternoon I receive an email without the attachment c’mon how hard is that?

Yeah, who does that summer think he is, a partner or something?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6367
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby 5ky » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for TLS help here. I'm not sure if I like the firm that I chose or even if I want to do Biglaw. My performance evaluation was not exactly positive - everyone had good things to say about my work product, but I blew one major deadline in a practice area I'm not interested in without relating the fact that I was going to miss it, and this pissed off a senior corporate associate (NB: I give zero fucks about ever doing corporate work). Most of the review time was spent telling me about how I need to communicate better about deadlines, but I don't even have the ability to know how long a discrete task is going to take me, let alone to give an accurate estimate of when I'll be done with an entire project.

So basically, all of the work that I busted my ass on the entire summer and got good reviews on seemed to be offset by this feedback in the performance review.

Is it worth toughing this thing out? Or should I do the absolute minimum and try to focus on hitting up 3L OCI / mass mail / etc? I did get extended 2L offers at a couple of other firms that I liked - is there a "fast track" procedure to make a switch, or will I have to re-interview?


you sound like you have a bad attitude. you blew a deadline and don't seem to care about it and now you're thinking of just quitting?

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for TLS help here. I'm not sure if I like the firm that I chose or even if I want to do Biglaw. My performance evaluation was not exactly positive - everyone had good things to say about my work product, but I blew one major deadline in a practice area I'm not interested in without relating the fact that I was going to miss it, and this pissed off a senior corporate associate (NB: I give zero fucks about ever doing corporate work). Most of the review time was spent telling me about how I need to communicate better about deadlines, but I don't even have the ability to know how long a discrete task is going to take me, let alone to give an accurate estimate of when I'll be done with an entire project.

So basically, all of the work that I busted my ass on the entire summer and got good reviews on seemed to be offset by this feedback in the performance review.

Is it worth toughing this thing out? Or should I do the absolute minimum and try to focus on hitting up 3L OCI / mass mail / etc? I did get extended 2L offers at a couple of other firms that I liked - is there a "fast track" procedure to make a switch, or will I have to re-interview?

I dunno, obviously I'm just a summer myself but you sound kinda of indignant or something that you would get a bad review for blowing a deadline purely out of apathy.

If you hate it that much then do something else I guess. If you want to work for a firm (or, honestly, pretty much any job with grown ups) then maybe use this as a learning experience and not do something like that ever again?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your tone or something, sorry if so

Eta: scooped
Last edited by BigZuck on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for TLS help here. I'm not sure if I like the firm that I chose or even if I want to do Biglaw. My performance evaluation was not exactly positive - everyone had good things to say about my work product, but I blew one major deadline in a practice area I'm not interested in without relating the fact that I was going to miss it, and this pissed off a senior corporate associate (NB: I give zero fucks about ever doing corporate work). Most of the review time was spent telling me about how I need to communicate better about deadlines, but I don't even have the ability to know how long a discrete task is going to take me, let alone to give an accurate estimate of when I'll be done with an entire project.

So basically, all of the work that I busted my ass on the entire summer and got good reviews on seemed to be offset by this feedback in the performance review.

Is it worth toughing this thing out? Or should I do the absolute minimum and try to focus on hitting up 3L OCI / mass mail / etc? I did get extended 2L offers at a couple of other firms that I liked - is there a "fast track" procedure to make a switch, or will I have to re-interview?

Uhhh....I hate to break it to you dude, but blowing deadlines—without letting anyone know that you're going to be late—will be an issue at every law firm in the country, including those couple of other firms that you liked. Your reviewers spent most of your review talking about it because it's, like, really important. It's also something you can change. And, no, that one mistake did not offset all your other good work. So stop the pity party. Don't let the "blown deadline" thing happen again, and keep doing good work. You have a much, much better chance of getting an offer at your current firm than you do through 3L OCI.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17887
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby El Pollito » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:39 am

Well if you don't like the firm or want to do biglaw, then I guess you shouldn't care if you get no offered. You sound like kind of an entitled asshole. Also lol at a firm you didn't accept an offer from having a "fast track" 3L interview path for you.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby skers » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:01 am

Blowing deadlines is pretty much literally the one thing you don't want to do in the easiest job you'll ever have.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273155
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:21 am

The reason they talked about it so much at your review is that what you're describing is literally the worst mistake you could've made. I'd rather work with a junior with no pants on but who hits deadlines and keeps me in the loop if he may miss one than someone who is as polished as Revere silver but blows a deadline without giving me advance warning. Someone does that, they are dead to me. Build a million bridges . . .

FSK
Posts: 6345
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby FSK » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:22 am

How do you not estimate your time even remotely close?

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby skers » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:32 am

Just as an aside to other SAs here. You are expected to be kind of endearingly dumb and not know what you're doing. It's much better to turn in something approximating what you were expected to do then to be late. In the event you really can't turn something in on time, at least communicate. Meet your deadlines+keep people in the loop+don't show anyone your penis=offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273155
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:48 am

How many days is it appropriate to to miss a full afternoon or morning for clerkship interviews? The first time I asked, it seemed totally fine, but now scheduling another two seems almost like I'm trying to avoid work or something. I've seen other people take several entire days to go out of town to interview but that seems very disruptive.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17887
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby El Pollito » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:58 am

skers wrote:Just as an aside to other SAs here. You are expected to be kind of endearingly dumb and not know what you're doing. It's much better to turn in something approximating what you were expected to do then to be late. In the event you really can't turn something in on time, at least communicate. Meet your deadlines+keep people in the loop+don't show anyone your penis=offer.

or if you're going to be late, TELL someone as far in advance as possible. don't just not do it because you find the practice area boring.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:How many days is it appropriate to to miss a full afternoon or morning for clerkship interviews? The first time I asked, it seemed totally fine, but now scheduling another two seems almost like I'm trying to avoid work or something. I've seen other people take several entire days to go out of town to interview but that seems very disruptive.


I'm guessing whatever firm you're at with multiple people leaving for clerkship interviews both a) totally expects it since it likely happens every year, and b)encourages it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273155
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:55 pm

Shit. The Latham SA thing is totally true. NY office. Dude bought a lot of stuff but didn't charge it to Latham - he's independently wealthy so he bought whole bottles and upgraded his room to a suite all on his own dime.

BUT there are rumors he had some... extracurricular nasal inhalation activities going on that might have prompted him being fired.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Shit. The Latham SA thing is totally true. NY office. Dude bought a lot of stuff but didn't charge it to Latham - he's independently wealthy so he bought whole bottles and upgraded his room to a suite all on his own dime.

BUT there are rumors he had some... extracurricular nasal inhalation activities going on that might have prompted him being fired.

Does this mean we are officially back to prerecession times??

And does anyone have details on the skadden revocation?

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14397
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:04 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273155
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:DId he get fired for coke or for not sharing coke.
I'm guessing the former. But that's still really unsubstantiated rumor. The main point of interest is apparently this guy was like an African prince or someone of similar great foreign wealth. This is some Coming To America type shit right here - fabulous displays of wealth, guy doesn't even need to be here, hilarity ensues.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Shit. The Latham SA thing is totally true. NY office. Dude bought a lot of stuff but didn't charge it to Latham - he's independently wealthy so he bought whole bottles and upgraded his room to a suite all on his own dime.

BUT there are rumors he had some... extracurricular nasal inhalation activities going on that might have prompted him being fired.

If there's one thing that big law partners will not tolerate, it's cocaine. Remember that, kids.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14397
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:23 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

hdunlop
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby hdunlop » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:57 pm

'blowing' I see what u did there

Anonymous User
Posts: 273155
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:10 pm

Pretty sure blowing off work would get you no-offered but not fired. Illegal drugs might do it at a big firm to get you fired - all jokes aside, I can't imagine they tolerate that shit in their associates or Summers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273155
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Been working on a deal for a while. Was supposed to close yesterday, so I made plans to go out of town for the weekend. 4 hours into my 7 hour drive I get an email asking if I can work on Saturday because closing got pushed back. I respond saying I'm available and happy to help as long as it won't cause any issues that I work remotely because I'm already out of town. Working remotely is pretty common outside regular hours for this group so I though that'd be fine.

Get an email back saying they got another summer to come in and to have a good weekend.

No offer? Should I seriously have turned the car around and cancelled on my SO?

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pretty sure blowing off work would get you no-offered but not fired. Illegal drugs might do it at a big firm to get you fired - all jokes aside, I can't imagine they tolerate that shit in their associates or Summers.

Recreational, illegal drug use is largely tolerated in big law. It's very unlikely that Latham (or any other big law firm) would fire--not just no offer, but actually fire--a summer associate because of rumors that the summer was snorting coke in his hotel room.

My guess is that other summers heard the rumors about the coke and assumed that was the reason for the firing, but that the guy was fired for some other reason.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Been working on a deal for a while. Was supposed to close yesterday, so I made plans to go out of town for the weekend. 4 hours into my 7 hour drive I get an email asking if I can work on Saturday because closing got pushed back. I respond saying I'm available and happy to help as long as it won't cause any issues that I work remotely because I'm already out of town. Working remotely is pretty common outside regular hours for this group so I though that'd be fine.

Get an email back saying they got another summer to come in and to have a good weekend.

No offer? Should I seriously have turned the car around and cancelled on my SO?

Your response was perfectly appropriate. You're fine.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17887
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: You're halfway done

Postby El Pollito » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Been working on a deal for a while. Was supposed to close yesterday, so I made plans to go out of town for the weekend. 4 hours into my 7 hour drive I get an email asking if I can work on Saturday because closing got pushed back. I respond saying I'm available and happy to help as long as it won't cause any issues that I work remotely because I'm already out of town. Working remotely is pretty common outside regular hours for this group so I though that'd be fine.

Get an email back saying they got another summer to come in and to have a good weekend.

No offer? Should I seriously have turned the car around and cancelled on my SO?

no, you're reading way too much into it




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.