Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby 2014 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:16 pm

Are you proactively doing anything to remedy the situation or are you stewing about it or hoping whatever assignment system you all have just works itself out?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:feeling kind of dissatisfied with our summer program. I realize it's hard to find substantive assignments for summers so maybe this is just frustration with the system generally but all the associates/partners/staff here have a "eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you will be a real associate" attitude. I think i'd be fine with this if i wasn't trying to choose between two different practice groups. Everyone says "just pick the group you think you'll enjoy" but it's difficult to gauge whether I like/dislike work if i'm not getting anything substantive/challenging. Don't really feel like I'm learning anything.

Did you go proactively to everyone in the assignment chain of command, explain what you want, and ask for more work, and be told you wouldn't be allowed to do the sort of work that you'd like to do?

Somehow I'm skeptical.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:feeling kind of dissatisfied with our summer program. I realize it's hard to find substantive assignments for summers so maybe this is just frustration with the system generally but all the associates/partners/staff here have a "eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you will be a real associate" attitude. I think i'd be fine with this if i wasn't trying to choose between two different practice groups. Everyone says "just pick the group you think you'll enjoy" but it's difficult to gauge whether I like/dislike work if i'm not getting anything substantive/challenging. Don't really feel like I'm learning anything.

When you expressed this concern to your associate and/or partner mentor, what did they say?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:03 pm

Got a Baker Botts event I want to go to. Had initially received permission from my firm to leave early tomorrow (which would have provided ample time to get to the event) but the event has been moved to next week. How to communicate a need to leave early next week to my firm without sounding like a giant dbag?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a Baker Botts event I want to go to. Had initially received permission from my firm to leave early tomorrow (which would have provided ample time to get to the event) but the event has been moved to next week. How to communicate a need to leave early next week to my firm without sounding like a giant dbag?

Say: "The event I was leaving early for got moved to next week. Is there a problem with me leaving early on the new date?"

By the way, how early do you have to leave? If you just have to leave at 4 or something, then I wouldn't even bother asking permission. Just let any attorneys you happen to be working with that day know that you're leaving a little early.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:19 pm

How much are people checking up on you that they would know if you leave early? Maybe it's just because we have such a big summer class, but my officemates have come in at 11 and left at 1, and haven't had anyone care.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:20 pm

I was planning on leaving between 3:30om and 4pm.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was planning on leaving between 3:30om and 4pm.

Then I really don't think you need to "ask permission." If you're not working on anything time-critical that day, you can just leave. But if, by late morning, it looks like it's going to be a busy day, then let the attorneys you're working with know at that time that you've got to leave at 4.

By the way, I'm assuming that your firm doesn't have its own event that evening.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:02 pm

rpupkin,

no. My firm doesn't have their own event planned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Today assignment:

Review files in Lehman Chapter 11 proceedings and provide docs relating to this property.

HAHAHHA

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:24 pm

Today got a research assignment that they needed a quick answer to, with no idea how deep the problem might be or where to start looking (pro bono case not in this person's wheelhouse).

Settled in preparing for a long night... and then found Supreme Court precedent that answered the question right away. And then federal guidance specifically directed to the issue as it applies to our case.

Just wanted to share the positive because I know we hear the negative stories so often (not unfairly I know).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Doing basic diligence on a deal and had question for junior partner about why a particular document was being referred to as "amended and restated" when it had not been executed. Calls senior partner. Asks same question. Senior partner says "that's a really good point . . . and I was just about to send this to the client for execution!" Junior partner tells senior partner he just got called out by a summer associate.

No offer?

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Doing basic diligence on a deal and had question for junior partner about why a particular document was being referred to as "amended and restated" when it had not been executed. Calls senior partner. Asks same question. Senior partner says "that's a really good point . . . and I was just about to send this to the client for execution!" Junior partner tells senior partner he just got called out by a summer associate.

No offer?

I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:13 am

ymmv wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Doing basic diligence on a deal and had question for junior partner about why a particular document was being referred to as "amended and restated" when it had not been executed. Calls senior partner. Asks same question. Senior partner says "that's a really good point . . . and I was just about to send this to the client for execution!" Junior partner tells senior partner he just got called out by a summer associate.

No offer?

You think it was 178 lsat or highest grade in biz legs that allowed him to catch that mistake?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:27 am

JohannDeMann wrote:
ymmv wrote:

No offer?

You think it was 178 lsat or highest grade in biz legs that allowed him to catch that mistake?

...whoosh?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:49 am

BigZuck wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
ymmv wrote:

No offer?

...whoosh?

Really? It seemed like a straight-ahead humble brag to me. I don't think ymmv and Johann were whooshed.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:33 am

MODS PLS

FSK

Postby FSK » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Today got a research assignment that they needed a quick answer to, with no idea how deep the problem might be or where to start looking (pro bono case not in this person's wheelhouse).

Settled in preparing for a long night... and then found Supreme Court precedent that answered the question right away. And then federal guidance specifically directed to the issue as it applies to our case.

Just wanted to share the positive because I know we hear the negative stories so often (not unfairly I know).

I feel like 95% of what I do is this, except with Lexis practice guides & annotated codes. I think the only truly hard research I've ever had to do was a Chevron issue in a context where the precedent was wholly inconsistent.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:07 am

You guys aren't doing shit. Accept that.

Remember when you were a newly minted 1L worrying about what laptop bag to bring or bragging about knowing the holding to Pennoyer when cold called and how silly you know that was now? Bragging about how you crushed a summer assignment is the same thing. In 16 months you'll roll your eyes at the thought.

gk101

Postby gk101 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:30 am

First Offense wrote:You guys aren't doing shit. Accept that.

Remember when you were a newly minted 1L worrying about what laptop bag to bring or bragging about knowing the holding to Pennoyer when cold called and how silly you know that was now? Bragging about how you crushed a summer assignment is the same thing. In 16 months you'll roll your eyes at the thought.

(waits for summer associates to rush in and talk about all the valuable billable work they have bee doing)

To be fair, this is different from law school. Giving an incorrect answer in law school has almost 0 impact on your final grades. it actually matters that you are turning in quality work product now. Just don't feel too much pressure when you make mistakes because the stakes are usually minimal when it's work from a summer associate

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:47 am

rpupkin wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
ymmv wrote:

No offer?

...whoosh?

Really? It seemed like a straight-ahead humble brag to me. I don't think ymmv and Johann were whooshed.

Yumvee is a pretty bright dude, not concerned about him

Basically this:
Cobretti wrote:MODS PLS

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:59 am

I do real work. I spent 10 hours finding one case used in a stringcite in a 15 page brief. That's MY case, I found that.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:13 pm

gk101 wrote:
First Offense wrote:You guys aren't doing shit. Accept that.

(waits for summer associates to rush in and talk about all the valuable billable work they have bee doing)

To be fair, this is different from law school. Giving an incorrect answer in law school has almost 0 impact on your final grades. it actually matters that you are turning in quality work product now. Just don't feel too much pressure when you make mistakes because the stakes are usually minimal when it's work from a summer associate

I think what he means is that "quality work product" is such a ridiculously low bar for SAs. There really isn't that much pressure to turn decent work in because it requires minimum competence. Plus, the fact that offer rates are often 80%+ for SAs makes it even clearer that this is just a social-summer event to make sure that you have basic reasoning skills and a modicum of social awareness. No one is doing important work as an SA.

(That said, I understand the neuroticism associated with the SA summer. It's stressful because you feel like there's a lot on the line. Worrying about getting an offer is just part of being an SA, at least at some places. But your perceptions about getting an offer and the reality about landing an offer are two different things)

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Accidentally used the regular knife instead of the butter knife to butter my bread at lunch today. No Offer?

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:29 pm

J9ofDiamonds wrote:Accidentally used the regular knife instead of the butter knife to butter my bread at lunch today. No Offer?

There should be a license one has to acquire before they're allowed to make jokes.

Return to “Legal Employment”