Check out top-law-schools.com Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Post by rpupkin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:46 pm

DJ JD wrote:Sorry to interrupt this serious conversation with something so unrelated and trivial, but am I the only one who thinks you're a douche if you post your summer employment on Facebook?
You're not the only one, but I don't see why people get upset about this kind of thing. Although people have Facebook friends who are also in law school, it's not like Facebook is exclusively a law-related social app. People have long-time acquaintances, friends, and family who might be interested to read about the FB poster's job offer. It's a big life event.

If anything, I think it's more douchey to post "Offer!" in this thread. The vast majority of SAs get offers, so it's not a major accomplishment. And the few who don't get offers feel terrible.

Look, I think it's fine to celebrate your offer ITT. But if you think law students are douches for posting about their offers on FB, you must think they're super-douches for posting about their offers here.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:47 pm

rpupkin wrote:
DJ JD wrote:Sorry to interrupt this serious conversation with something so unrelated and trivial, but am I the only one who thinks you're a douche if you post your summer employment on Facebook?
You're not the only one, but I don't see why people get upset about this kind of thing. Although people have Facebook friends who are also in law school, it's not like Facebook is exclusively a law-related social app. People have long-time acquaintances, friends, and family who might be interested to read about the FB poster's job offer. It's a big life event.

If anything, I think it's more douchey to post "Offer!" in this thread. The vast majority of SAs get offers, so it's not a major accomplishment. And the few who don't get offers feel terrible.

Look, I think it's fine to celebrate your offer ITT. But if you think law students are douches for posting about their offers on FB, you must think they're super-douches for posting about their offers here.
You always have great takes on things.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:51 pm

Yeah rpupkin is good.

I don't see posting summer employment on FB or ITT as douchey but I did both so maybe I'm just wearing douche-colored glasses. My facebook is mostly for family at this point - not other law students or friends going through similar law things. They want to know how I'm doing and this is kind of a big deal for me.

Posting ITT I see as OK because I think people intend it not as 'Look at me I'm so fancy' but rather 'Look it's not all doom and gloom you law students who are going to go to OCI soon, I survived and I hope you do too'. That's how I see other people, and I congratulate and feel happy for every person who does well here and feels comfortable sharing here. If others are going to interpret it as bragging or rubbing it in, I understand that but it's probably not the author's intent.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:52 pm

rpupkin wrote:

I mean, this website is where you go to post the stuff that's too douchey to post on Facebook... So, yeah.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:11 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:42 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Hoping to get some actual advice. I've bitched about how my SA has been a very bad environment, and then earlier this week they gave me a no-offer-but-stay-part time. I talked to my old firm (a small boutique in the area I want, not not crazy prestigious). The pay is less but still good. I'm going to take it. I hate the practice area my SA firm hired me for (I like my old firm's a ton). I'm going to go back to my old job.

The deed is done, but am I an idiot? I don't think I could take another week at my current firm - the personality mismatch is just so bad.
Yeah why be miserable. Not an idiot at all. People really suck at undervaluing the fact that you get one life to live and a brief youthful period. Max out and enjoy that 3L year with no commitments.

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:50 pm

Yeah, maybe the act itself isn't douchey, but I just associated the profiles of students I know are douches with the fact that most of them have it in their bios.

Also, people have judicial internships on as well. Don't think it's exclusively limited to firm stuff.. but it depends. Local ADA for 12 weeks? Charitable organization for 10? Small firm for 8? Sure.

Split your summer at 7 different firms and decide to change your profile every time you switched? Certified douche®.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:50 pm

They did this convo for like 10 fucking pages in last year's thread, can we not

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:16 am

In no other industry is there so much sensitivity over sharing accomplishments as there is in law, it's really interesting. Do you think your non-law Facebook friends are dickheads if they post "Just accepted a new position at XYZ, so excited to move to NewCity!!!"? What exactly do you think social networking is for?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:23 am

2014 wrote:In no other industry is there so much sensitivity over sharing accomplishments as there is in law, it's really interesting. Do you think your non-law Facebook friends are dickheads if they post "Just accepted a new position at XYZ, so excited to move to NewCity!!!"? What exactly do you think social networking is for?
engagement and babies only

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:37 am

flawschoolkid wrote:
2014 wrote:In no other industry is there so much sensitivity over sharing accomplishments as there is in law, it's really interesting. Do you think your non-law Facebook friends are dickheads if they post "Just accepted a new position at XYZ, so excited to move to NewCity!!!"? What exactly do you think social networking is for?
Ugh those are the two worst parts of fb.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:39 am

chuckbass wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
If you don't like reading about your friends' jobs, engagements, and babies, why do you even use Facebook? Is it for the incisive social and political commentary?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:40 am

Deranged political rants mostly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:49 am

rpupkin wrote:
chuckbass wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
If you don't like reading about your friends' jobs, engagements, and babies, why do you even use Facebook? Is it for the incisive social and political commentary?
Promoting confederate flag heritage.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:50 am

rpupkin wrote:
chuckbass wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
Seeing 20 year olds get engaged just irks me generally. And it's too soon for babies.

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:51 am

Considering there isn't as much pressure to get a job, much less a good one, in essentially every other field, I think it's a little different.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:56 am

chuckbass wrote: Seeing 20 year olds get engaged just irks me generally.
Me too. But seeing 20-year olds go to law school irks me even more. Facebook is just a daily parade of life mistakes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:31 am

Ideally fb would have a way to make your status visible only to others in secofic groups.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:34 am

It actually does (or at least it used to). It's just more work than most people want to do.

I gotta be honest I did a complete 180 on this over the past year. Before starting law school I was like dude who cares it's Facebook you can post you have a job and little bitty babies should just get over it. But after being in school for a year it's like my god everyone in my class will see that and most won't care but some will and so why would I be a total dick about it? It's not so much that it's actually that big of a deal to post it. It's more that if you don't realize or don't care that a not insignificant number of your peers will be hurt/resent you/whatever you're oblivious or an asshole and no one likes either. I think this is a lot like the OCI thing. Post it when you start the job, not when you get the offer.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:11 am

I think it's fine if you hustled. Like, if you just got your job through oci, the process took like 2-3 weeks for you - nothing to brag about. but if you don't get your offer until october, that's good. if you get any big law position as a 3L, same thing goes. but by no means is it an accomplishment to brag about receiving an offer from your 2L SA firm. it's 95% of the time handed to you on a silver platter. plus, you prob told all your friends already your 2l SA means you'll be working there after graduation.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:11 am

ugh

you can tell if it's douchey based on who did it and the timing

/convo

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:14 am

El Pollito wrote:ugh

you can tell if it's douchey based on who did it and the timing

/convo
thank you

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:57 am

It's more just kinda sad if anything. Big law isn't a major accomplishment and the people who put it on a pedestal I feel sorry for because that prolly means they have lived a very boring life and will continue to do so.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:03 am

I don't think it is douchey to put that you are starting work at a firm or posting that you got an offer. I think it is douchey to post that you got a SA offer in the middle of OCI when your fellow classmates are still freaking out. Got to wait a bit on that, unless you're at HYS where basically everyone gets a SA if they want it.

The classmates that annoy me are the ones that post non-stop about all the cool SA events they are doing or all the free food they are getting. Especially if you add a hashtag and then your firm. Ugh, the worst

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:25 am

I hope one negative review is not enough to get cold offered or no offered....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”