Check out top-law-schools.com Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FSK

Platinum

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Post by FSK » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:28 pm

I've determined my schedule is 9-6:15 if the partner I'm working for is in the office, 9:530 if not, and as long as need be when the work calls for it.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:22 am

I feel like an asshat saying this, but its sort of a kick in the teeth seeing my classmates with comparable grades at much better/more prestigious firms than I am at. Just reminds me how terrible of an interviewer I am.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:I feel like an asshat saying this, but its sort of a kick in the teeth seeing my classmates with comparable grades at much better/more prestigious firms than I am at. Just reminds me how terrible of an interviewer I am.
You can't eat prestige.

J9ofDiamonds

Gold

Post by J9ofDiamonds » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:53 am

Jason Taverner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I feel like an asshat saying this, but its sort of a kick in the teeth seeing my classmates with comparable grades at much better/more prestigious firms than I am at. Just reminds me how terrible of an interviewer I am.
You can't eat prestige.
seriously, wgaf

J9ofDiamonds

Gold

Post by J9ofDiamonds » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:54 am

I have been consistently 9:30-6:30 with 1.5-2 hour lunches. I stayed until 7:30 once and left at 6 once

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doctoroflaw91

Bronze

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:07 am

Everyone at my firm seems to come in and leave as they please. I'm a morning person and our firm has a gym, so I work out there and am in my office by 8:30. I generally leave around 5:30 or 6, but I stay later if I need to.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:22 am

You guys keep saying you stay later if you need to but what does that look like? Are you getting assignments that take up more than like 30 hours a week? Assignments with a short turn around? I havent experienced anything like that yet.

(No offer?)

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:28 am

BigZuck wrote:You guys keep saying you stay later if you need to but what does that look like? Are you getting assignments that take up more than like 30 hours a week? Assignments with a short turn around? I havent experienced anything like that yet.

(No offer?)
Same, I have gotten two assignments that take about 40 hours, but I had two weeks to do them. Only one person in my class that I know of had an assignment that was kind of a fire drill and even they didn't stay past 7

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:32 am

J9ofDiamonds wrote:
Jason Taverner wrote:
You can't eat prestige.
seriously, wgaf
Yeah, it is not a kick in the teeth if you are at any market or near market paying firm. You're doing fine and stop worrying about prestige. If you did strike out or at some shitlaw firm, then you are not an asshat

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:35 am

When you see the cravath kids actually work 12 hour days consistently, and not entirely because they're striving but because the senior associate actually expects them to, savor every morsel of your relative lack of "prestige."

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:You guys keep saying you stay later if you need to but what does that look like? Are you getting assignments that take up more than like 30 hours a week? Assignments with a short turn around? I havent experienced anything like that yet.

(No offer?)
i stay late if

1. we have an evening event that would make it pointless to leave at a normal time

2. i slacked off / had a bunch of training / ended up taking a super long lunch w/ associates, that meant i did no work during the actual workday

3. pathern calls for a meeting, at, like, 5:30

i think the only people here who are actually needing to stay late to work are people doing deals and/or people who had an assignment from a junior/midlevel that was part of something the partner decided they needed ASAP. so, not super common. i wouldn't worry about it at all.

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:11 pm

As a former summer, having talked about this issue with many other summers in years past: I think TCR is don't leave before 5:00 and/or before any associates have left (doesn't look good to beat ALL of them out of the office). At the same time, you're wasting your summer if you are staying past 6:30. You will never again in the near future of your lives make so much for doing so little - maximize that.

Also, don't assume that the fact "no one is in the office after 6pm" means they aren't logging back in from home at night and on weekends... or that they are leaving that early the rest of the year when summers aren't around. Be aware that as summers you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg, and even then, only the side of that tip that the firm wants you to see. No lie, firms often tells their associates to dress more casually, take longer lunches, and leave the office earlier during the summer as a show for the summers. It's all part of the game.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:51 pm

fish52 wrote:As a former summer, having talked about this issue with many other summers in years past: I think TCR is don't leave before 5:00 and/or before any associates have left (doesn't look good to beat ALL of them out of the office). At the same time, you're wasting your summer if you are staying past 6:30. You will never again in the near future of your lives make so much for doing so little - maximize that.

Also, don't assume that the fact "no one is in the office after 6pm" means they aren't logging back in from home at night and on weekends... or that they are leaving that early the rest of the year when summers aren't around. Be aware that as summers you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg, and even then, only the side of that tip that the firm wants you to see. No lie, firms often tells their associates to dress more casually, take longer lunches, and leave the office earlier during the summer as a show for the summers. It's all part of the game.
Out the firms or it didn't happen

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:35 pm

1L SA with a South American firm and my hours are 8:45-7:30.

Sounds like I got shafted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:16 pm

My firm's been pretty straight up with me. Ex: "yeah I get back online after dinner at home"; Enjoy summer b/c once you're a first year, you'll be working your ass off on busy months (litigation).

Staying late: only day I left past 6:00 is when I had a fire drill assignment that the client needed the day it was assigned.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm's been pretty straight up with me. Ex: "yeah I get back online after dinner at home"; Enjoy summer b/c once you're a first year, you'll be working your ass off on busy months (litigation).

Staying late: only day I left past 6:00 is when I had a fire drill assignment that the client needed the day it was assigned.
+1, although I haven't stayed past 5:30. Might change tomorrow because I don't want to turn in this assignment late.
Anonymous User wrote:1L SA with a South American firm and my hours are 8:45-7:30.

Sounds like I got shafted.
But the South American part is cool. What country, if you don't mind saying for risk of outing?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:23 pm

fish52 wrote: No lie, firms often tells their associates to dress more casually,
Sorry, I think this is a lie. Neither of the firms I worked at suggested anything of the sort, and I've never heard of a firm urging its associates to change the way they dress for the sake of the summer program. ("Damn, it's August! Now that the SAs are gone, I've got to go back to wearing a suit every day.")

I guess I can believe that your firm does or did this, but multiple firms? I think you're making shit up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:27 pm

rpupkin wrote:
fish52 wrote: No lie, firms often tells their associates to dress more casually,
Sorry, I think this is a lie. Neither of the firms I worked at suggested anything of the sort, and I've never heard of a firm urging its associates to change the way they dress for the sake of the summer program. ("Damn, it's August! Now that the SAs are gone, I've got to go back to wearing a suit every day.")

I guess I can believe that your firm does or did this, but multiple firms? I think you're making shit up.
i don't think that's real

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:30 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:No but firms carefully manage who you meet socially to give you false expectations. Stressed out people don't go to shitty events and aren't invited to new ones.
my friend accidentally got invited to a summer lunch and told people he wanted to kill himself

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:49 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:No but firms carefully manage who you meet socially to give you false expectations. Stressed out people don't go to shitty events and aren't invited to new ones.
my friend accidentally got invited to a summer lunch and told people he wanted to kill himself
Holy crap. I hope your friend just quit the firm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:51 pm

Yeah, no question that firms orchestrate the summer experience in a way that conceals the unpleasant realities of associate life. I just thought the "firm tellsl us to dress casually for the summers" line was amusing bullshit.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:55 pm

El Pollito wrote:
lol. I'm sorry for your friend, but this is terrific. I need more somber, widely inappropriate misanthropy from the associates in my life right now.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:56 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:58 pm

If everyone who wanted to kill themselves left big law, the desks would be empty.[/quote]

Hmm. How early do you start getting calls from headhunters then?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”