Check out top-law-schools.com Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
El Pollito

Diamond

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Post by El Pollito » Thu May 28, 2015 10:50 pm

zacharus85 wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:In all honesty the kool-aid at my firm is mad tempting. I've worked with lit associates for years and watched them slowly break themselves and flee biglaw, but the food, social events, and easy 'work' to date are just... Nice. Easy not to think about actual practice lifestyle down the road.
lit does suck. glad to be getting out.
congrats on that BTW.

I'm trying to go corporate/regulatory but lit keeps calling to me.
thanks bro. regulatory is a decent area. just don't do lit.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu May 28, 2015 11:14 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
Jason Taverner wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:I mean, I can do it to a very high quality with a smile on my face and a high degree of professionalism. But I see the writing on the wall...
what writing is that?
Biglaw is awful and I'm headed that way like a freight train. The job I actually want requires biglaw experience, obv isn't even a guarantee then.
You're a horrible human being. God damn I hope you're not at my firm.

LazyLASA

New

Post by LazyLASA » Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Day 3. Already really like my firm. I've been given substantive, interesting work, everyone is really nice, and barring a pretty concrete deadline associates seem to actually go home at a decent hour, even if they're probably logging on for a bit at home.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 11:31 pm

I don't think a very senior partner likes me. She probably misunderstood something I said and if she did then she probably thinks I was rude. No offer? 100% offer firm

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu May 28, 2015 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think a very senior partner likes me. She probably misunderstood something I said and if she did then she probably thinks I was rude. No offer? 100% offer firm
If the partner is indeed very senior, then she probably has nothing to do with associate hiring. In order to get a no offer here, you probably would have had to do something so extreme that the senior partner bothered to go out of her way to tell the hiring partner that you must not be hired. That seems highly unlikely, particularly if you're at a 100% offer firm. I'm confident that you're not the first summer associate in firm history to say something rude/dumb/whatever in front of a senior partner.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu May 28, 2015 11:56 pm

It's less likely a she is a rainmaker (due to history of legal world), so you are probably ok. Also, 100% offer firm. I'm sure it's less bad than you think. Try to move ahead as if nothing happened.

edit to add - just my take on the way things are, not how they should be.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 29, 2015 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think a very senior partner likes me. She probably misunderstood something I said and if she did then she probably thinks I was rude. No offer? 100% offer firm
I had a similar interaction with a partner and was kind of worried about it for like a day. Couple things though:

1. It's probably not as bad as you think. Like I said, I was kind of worried about it but today when I walked past that partner at the end of the day he slapped me on the back and said "See ya tomorrow" or something like that. I mean, maybe he's toying with me and can't wait to put in that review that totally sinks my offer but I doubt it. He probably didn't think anything of what I said and I probably blew it all up in my head. I think it's natural to overanalyze stuff given the position we are in.

2. If you like made a joke or something that didn't land well, keep in mind that you don't have to make jokes, especially in front of very senior partners. I'm not saying don't talk to anyone ever, but it's fine if all your interactions are super vanilla and you don't say a whole lot. You're at a 100% offer firm. You don't need to stick out. You're not going to get a better offer by knocking a senior partner's socks off with scintillating conversation or hilarious cutting edge jokes. Just do good work, small talk and be nice, go to the social events and have a couple drinks and go home. That's all you really need to do.

Keep in mind though that we are TLSers so everyone ITT is 90% of the way toward a no offer already. Gotta tread lightly.

Also just a know-nothing SA myself so YMMV. People with actual wisdom by all means correct me if I'm off base.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri May 29, 2015 12:56 am

BigZuck wrote:
I had a similar interaction with a partner and was kind of worried about it for like a day. Couple things though:

1. It's probably not as bad as you think. Like I said, I was kind of worried about it but today when I walked past that partner at the end of the day he slapped me on the back and said "See ya tomorrow" or something like that. I mean, maybe he's toying with me and can't wait to put in that review that totally sinks my offer but I doubt it. He probably didn't think anything of what I said and I probably blew it all up in my head. I think it's natural to overanalyze stuff given the position we are in.

2. If you like made a joke or something that didn't land well, keep in mind that you don't have to make jokes, especially in front of very senior partners. I'm not saying don't talk to anyone ever, but it's fine if all your interactions are super vanilla and you don't say a whole lot. You're at a 100% offer firm. You don't need to stick out. You're not going to get a better offer by knocking a senior partner's socks off with scintillating conversation or hilarious cutting edge jokes. Just do good work, small talk and be nice, go to the social events and have a couple drinks and go home. That's all you really need to do.

Keep in mind though that we are TLSers so everyone ITT is 90% of the way toward a no offer already. Gotta tread lightly.

Also just a know-nothing SA myself so YMMV. People with actual wisdom by all means correct me if I'm off base.
This is only credited if you are content with being a peasant rather than a SUPERSTAR SA. A SUPERSTAR SA is seen by the senior partners as another son or daughter by the end of the summer

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri May 29, 2015 2:57 am

Just found out I can't even attend my firms best summer event because of a stupid cousin's wedding. I was looking forward this event since accepting the offer last September. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri May 29, 2015 7:23 am

I did 26 allowances and still paid about 10% in taxes. Can I up my allowances even more, or should i just deal with it?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri May 29, 2015 7:30 am

First Offense wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
Jason Taverner wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:I mean, I can do it to a very high quality with a smile on my face and a high degree of professionalism. But I see the writing on the wall...
what writing is that?
Biglaw is awful and I'm headed that way like a freight train. The job I actually want requires biglaw experience, obv isn't even a guarantee then.
You're a horrible human being. God damn I hope you're not at my firm.
I promise I'm not!
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Fri May 29, 2015 8:14 am

ph5354a wrote:I did 26 allowances and still paid about 10% in taxes. Can I up my allowances even more, or should i just deal with it?
If you’re paying 10% instead of 28%+ you’re fine. You don’t want to overwithhold because you might incur a penalty.

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:47 am

Yardbird wrote:
ph5354a wrote:I did 26 allowances and still paid about 10% in taxes. Can I up my allowances even more, or should i just deal with it?
If you’re paying 10% instead of 28%+ you’re fine. You don’t want to overwithhold because you might incur a penalty.
Correct. 10% actually sounds just about right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Fri May 29, 2015 8:51 am

0L, so don't shoot me please, just wanted to say that I was talking with my friend who is on the SA committee at a top NY firm about the summers and she said that they all lie through their teeth about what the actual lifestyle is like at the firm. They have to be more positive than negative in what they say to summers for obvious reasons, but she said no one wants to risk saying something negative and it getting back to the wrong person so the best course of action is to lie as hard and as fast as they can. Fun times!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri May 29, 2015 9:01 am

At any top firm, I get the sense you'll have late nights, weekend work, etc. For me it wasn't figuring out who offers the 'cushy' lifestyle, but who are the people I can enjoy working alongside and under when I'm pulling those late nights. There are great people and terrible people to work under at all firms, most likely, so I think the trick is finding the people in your firm you click with, whose directions you understand, who like your work product, etc.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:20 am

bretby wrote:0L, so don't shoot me please, just wanted to say that I was talking with my friend who is on the SA committee at a top NY firm about the summers and she said that they all lie through their teeth about what the actual lifestyle is like at the firm. They have to be more positive than negative in what they say to summers for obvious reasons, but she said no one wants to risk saying something negative and it getting back to the wrong person so the best course of action is to lie as hard and as fast as they can. Fun times!
yeah I sometimes soft-pedal the bad parts of biglaw when talking to summers for no rational reason. It's really bizarre

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:39 am

mine took out $900 for two weeks. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Post by PvblivsScipio » Fri May 29, 2015 10:42 am

Did 15, got roughly $900 withheld. It's hard to say because I took a salary advance and they spread it out over a few weeks.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:44 am

Does no one else's firm give you the option of the part-year employment method for withholding?

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Fri May 29, 2015 10:46 am

Extreme sun burn - no offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 10:50 am

BigZuck wrote:

Let's say the partner is a hiring partner... and that the misunderstanding is not related to a joke.. do you still think it wont matter? this whole thing is not allowing me to enjoy the summer

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:01 am

PvblivsScipio wrote:Did 15, got roughly $900 withheld. It's hard to say because I took a salary advance and they spread it out over a few weeks.
i did 30+... state tax took ~ $350

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri May 29, 2015 11:03 am

JohannDeMann wrote:It's less likely a she is a rainmaker (due to history of legal world), so you are probably ok. Also, 100% offer firm. I'm sure it's less bad than you think. Try to move ahead as if nothing happened.

edit to add - just my take on the way things are, not how they should be.
(MODS PLEASE)

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri May 29, 2015 11:14 am

zacharus85 wrote:At any top firm, I get the sense you'll have late nights, weekend work, etc. For me it wasn't figuring out who offers the 'cushy' lifestyle, but who are the people I can enjoy working alongside and under when I'm pulling those late nights. There are great people and terrible people to work under at all firms, most likely, so I think the trick is finding the people in your firm you click with, whose directions you understand, who like your work product, etc.
True. I'd just caveat that there are sweatshop firms and groups that will basically push everyone to 2400 and others that are cool at 2000. And that's a big difference. But you should try to weed through this in OCI and accepting offer. Because at this point, it's likely too late.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri May 29, 2015 12:40 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
PvblivsScipio wrote:Did 15, got roughly $900 withheld. It's hard to say because I took a salary advance and they spread it out over a few weeks.
i did 30+... state tax took ~ $350
I only did 2. Got $2k taken out by state and Federal. But this Spring will be awesome when I get that back

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”