Check out top-law-schools.com Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FSK

Platinum

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Post by FSK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:22 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but what I'm seeing is less-analysis more-dictaphone. But, the interaction point is solid.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:26 pm

rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:Christ lawyers are the worst. I continually underestimate the depth of how stupid this is.
This kind of thing--a senior professional wanting junior professionals around while thinking/talking through a problem--is hardly unique to law.
I'm not complaining. It was interesting and an easy way to bill time. Someone probably wrote it off, but that didn't matter for like internal tracking. I can only hope to see such easy billables ever again.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:49 am

uh free billables are awesome

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:42 am

Got my offer this morning. Sigh of relief.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

ETA: being on TLS and amongst peers going through similar experiences definitely made it better. Even wirh rpupkin and DF sass.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:51 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:Got my offer this morning. Sigh of relief.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

ETA: being on TLS and amongst peers going through similar experiences definitely made it better. Even wirh rpupkin and DF sass.
Yay!!!!!!! Big congrats. You should go to the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:53 am

Nice job.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:29 am

Congrats bud!

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:02 pm

Currently curled up in ball on my office floor with a gluten allergy attack
The view from down here is interesting

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:59 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:Currently curled up in ball on my office floor with a gluten allergy attack
The view from down here is interesting
Hope you recover quickly, that sucks.

I guess curling up on the floor whimpering is good experience for life in actual practice at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

J9ofDiamonds

Gold

Post by J9ofDiamonds » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:01 pm

Congrats Zach!!!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:09 pm

Cosigning the congrats

Impressive that you managed to pull that off with neither a square jaw, fit bod, or beautiful hair

Good job dude

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:50 pm

Hoping to get some actual advice. I've bitched about how my SA has been a very bad environment, and then earlier this week they gave me a no-offer-but-stay-part time. I talked to my old firm (a small boutique in the area I want, not not crazy prestigious). The pay is less but still good. I'm going to take it. I hate the practice area my SA firm hired me for (I like my old firm's a ton). I'm going to go back to my old job.

The deed is done, but am I an idiot? I don't think I could take another week at my current firm - the personality mismatch is just so bad.

hartfordhockaloogies

New

Post by hartfordhockaloogies » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:52 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Hoping to get some actual advice. I've bitched about how my SA has been a very bad environment, and then earlier this week they gave me a no-offer-but-stay-part time. I talked to my old firm (a small boutique in the area I want, not not crazy prestigious). The pay is less but still good. I'm going to take it. I hate the practice area my SA firm hired me for (I like my old firm's a ton). I'm going to go back to my old job.

The deed is done, but am I an idiot? I don't think I could take another week at my current firm - the personality mismatch is just so bad.
You need to sleep on it. You might be making a rash decision feeling rejected and wanting to reject them back. Consider the areas and COL, the difference in salary, and the difference in personality .... after you spend a week of drinking with friends. .02

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:53 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Hoping to get some actual advice. I've bitched about how my SA has been a very bad environment, and then earlier this week they gave me a no-offer-but-stay-part time. I talked to my old firm (a small boutique in the area I want, not not crazy prestigious). The pay is less but still good. I'm going to take it. I hate the practice area my SA firm hired me for (I like my old firm's a ton). I'm going to go back to my old job.

It's fine for the long term but in the short term it's kinda dumb to piss away free money if the crappy firm was gonna let you stay on through the school year. But It's not like you're gonna be 65 and unable to retire because you skipped out a few months early from your first law job, so don't worry too much.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:54 pm

I've been wanting to do this for about a month, even without the no-offer. That put me over the edge.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:14 pm

I'm confused. Aren't you in law school? What is your "old job"? Did you used to work as a paralegal or something at the boutique, and now you're going to drop out of law school and go back to that?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:19 pm

rpupkin wrote:
I'm confused. Aren't you in law school? What is your "old job"? Did you used to work as a paralegal or something at the boutique, and now you're going to drop out of law school and go back to that?
2L SA --> 1L SA

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:24 pm

If you can stay on through the year at crappy firm and then go be a real lawyer at the firm you love, that seems like the most ideal path.

Do you think A. that you can stomach it to work there long enough to pay off debt and/or lateral out and B. do you think that personality mismatches will only go one way and that it won't affect how partners and associates see you and give you work? If you really hate your firm or practice area or people that you work with I can't see it working out for any length of time - even long enough to move somewhere else.

The one exception would be if the firm is like SullCrom or Skadden and you can use that firm to lateral down to a less 'prestigious' BigLaw or MidLaw option which might have a better cultural fit.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:25 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
2L SA --> 1L SA
Ah. Just FYI, it's kind of odd to refer to a 1L SA as your "old job." In any event, I suggest that you: (1) accept the offer from the small boutique, and (2) continue to work part-time at your big law firm during the school year. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the part-time work is relatively easy money, and it's decent training. Second, you never know what will happen at the boutique. I've seen more than one thread on TLS about a small firm rescinding an offer months after it was accepted because of financial problems. It pays to keep your options open in your circumstances.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:26 pm

Is it a real boutique or shitlaw? Don't tank your career.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:32 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:If you can stay on through the year at crappy firm and then go be a real lawyer at the firm you love, that seems like the most ideal path.

Do you think A. that you can stomach it to work there long enough to pay off debt and/or lateral out and B. do you think that personality mismatches will only go one way and that it won't affect how partners and associates see you and give you work? If you really hate your firm or practice area or people that you work with I can't see it working out for any length of time - even long enough to move somewhere else.

The one exception would be if the firm is like SullCrom or Skadden and you can use that firm to lateral down to a less 'prestigious' BigLaw or MidLaw option which might have a better cultural fit.
A: Eh? But, I don't have much debt anyway
B: I don't think that, in the long term, I could continue to hide my resentment for people & position.

C: Yeah, the current firm isn't anything special, so that's not a real issue.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:33 pm

rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
2L SA --> 1L SA
Ah. Just FYI, it's kind of odd to refer to a 1L SA as your "old job." In any event, I suggest that you: (1) accept the offer from the small boutique, and (2) continue to work part-time at your big law firm during the school year. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the part-time work is relatively easy money, and it's decent training. Second, you never know what will happen at the boutique. I've seen more than one thread on TLS about a small firm rescinding an offer months after it was accepted because of financial problems. It pays to keep your options open in your circumstances.
Thanks for the FYI, and I'll consider this.

El Pollito wrote:Is it a real boutique or shitlaw? Don't tank your career.
Its a real boutique.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:39 pm

Sorry to interrupt this serious conversation with something so unrelated and trivial, but am I the only one who thinks you're a douche if you post your summer employment on Facebook?

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:41 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:42 pm

DJ JD wrote:Sorry to interrupt this serious conversation with something so unrelated and trivial, but am I the only one who thinks you're a douche if you post your summer employment on Facebook?
Absolutely. Same goes for full-time jobs too though. Save that shit for LinkedIn

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”