Check out top-law-schools.com Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
5ky

Diamond

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015

Post by 5ky » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:19 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
North wrote:Got a good friend there and I'm worried with the oil bust and all.
I don't think 5ky was loling at your post.
yeah i wasn't.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:22 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:24 pm

Woah, what was the Latham LA no offer about?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:10 pm

5ky wrote:sorry, but i lol'd at your post
i like how anon took down the post. the tldr was that it wasn't a stressful summer because of the firm economics or anything, but rather that they didn't have fun on their summer because they only went to lunch 2-3x a week and went to a rooftop bar for the closing event instead of karaoke and that the point of the summer program is to have a lavish summer for the students

Fitz51

Bronze

Post by Fitz51 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:15 pm

Fuck, really sad I missed that post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Idk I didn't really reads it that way...I read it more like they didn't feel the firm really was trying to recruit them and that they weren't a priority?

I think we can agree lots of firms don't act that way during the summer - most are wine-ing and dining you to return. Not doing so doesn't necessarily mean something bad, but may imply they don't put a lot of stock in newer younger talent?

Just playing devils advocate on anon's post

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:23 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:Idk I didn't really reads it that way...I read it more like they didn't feel the firm really was trying to recruit them and that they weren't a priority?

I think we can agree lots of firms don't act that way during the summer - most are wine-ing and dining you to return. Not doing so doesn't necessarily mean something bad, but may imply they don't put a lot of stock in newer younger talent?

That's a generous interpretation of a post that was remarkably tone-deaf. Oh no, the firm insists on a summer:associate ratio so that people don't exploit the system? People have to cancel lunches because they had something come up? Associates don't have time to make up fictitious assignments for the summers? While some firms probably don't do things this way, all this seems well within the realm of BigLaw normal.

stronitsing

New

Post by stronitsing » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:19 pm

wwwcol wrote:
BaberhamLincoln wrote:Idk I didn't really reads it that way...I read it more like they didn't feel the firm really was trying to recruit them and that they weren't a priority?

That's a generous interpretation of a post that was remarkably tone-deaf. Oh no, the firm insists on a summer:associate ratio so that people don't exploit the system? People have to cancel lunches because they had something come up? Associates don't have time to make up fictitious assignments for the summers? While some firms probably don't do things this way, all this seems well within the realm of BigLaw normal.
yeah it did read a bit bizarre. but when you have a bad overall summer the reasons are often difficult to put into words- given that it's always to some extent based on subtle vibes - rather than outright hostility, rudeness, etc. no point in piling on.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:55 pm

ugh why did it get deleted

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:06 pm

wwwcol wrote:

If it's the same anon from Katten NYC, then that's not the experience we had in Chicago. So, it can easily vary from office to office as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:42 pm

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:.
that was really fast

you're really disappointing me, anon

ilovecorn

New

Post by ilovecorn » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:05 pm

As a different SA than the one from the tl;dr post earlier, I want to chime in. I had no expectation of being wined and dined in the post-Recession economy. My experience didn't seem that vastly different from my friends' experiences in other NY law firms. That said, there was no transparency and that created a lot of anxiety among SAs by the end of the summer. Despite being told by recruiters that there was every intention of giving full offers, by the ~9th week rumors started to spread that the firm had over-hired for its summer class and that there were not enough groups hiring to accommodate all the summers. The worst that was expected was that there would be general offers with placements once the firm knew its needs better as had happened with previous classes. At no point was it articulated by anyone to the summer class as a group that there would be actual "no offers."

I'm disappointed by how we were treated as a class because it shows a certain amount of disrespect. As with all decisions in life, choosing a firm to summer at has its opportunity costs and if the firm had at any point indicated that there would be no offers, I'm sure it would have affected people's decisions before and during the summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:30 pm

I don't intend this to be mean, but if you ended up at Katten NYC, was there really a big law firm you had an offer from that you would've taken over it? I understand you guys are upset, but is there anything you would have changed going back?

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:46 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:I don't intend this to be mean, but if you ended up at Katten NYC, was there really a big law firm you had an offer from that you would've taken over it? I understand you guys are upset, but is there anything you would have changed going back?
Was it really that hard to just not do this instead of doing it?

Also the way the now deleted katten anon made the summer sound was completely opposite from my summer. Summer work coordinators are generally supposed to spread assignments out evenly. Firms should let SAs go on other lunches if some attorneys get busy. If there is supposed to be, for example, a 1:1 attorney to SA ratio, and a summer bumps it up to 1 attorney per 2 SA's, what is wrong with that?

Idk why people share shit experiences with us. All that happens is they get shit on.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:48 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:I don't intend this to be mean, but if you ended up at Katten NYC, was there really a big law firm you had an offer from that you would've taken over it? I understand you guys are upset, but is there anything you would have changed going back?

what a worthless post
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fitz51

Bronze

Post by Fitz51 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:54 pm

*Strikes out at OCI*
*Shits on fellow poster for "ending up at Katten NYC"*

Come on now...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
Was it really that hard to just not do this instead of doing it?

Also the way the now deleted katten anon made the summer sound was completely opposite from my summer. Summer work coordinators are generally supposed to spread assignments out evenly. Firms should let SAs go on other lunches if some attorneys get busy. If there is supposed to be, for example, a 1:1 attorney to SA ratio, and a summer bumps it up to 1 attorney per 2 SA's, what is wrong with that?

Idk why people share shit experiences with us. All that happens is they get shit on.
I'm the anon that has been posting about Katten Chi. My summer was exactly like this (no ratios, responsive assigning attorneys, etc.). I will echo that there was a lack of transparency from the people running the program, but if you started asking people within certain departments, they would share whatever information they had. I'm really wondering why NYC was such a shit show.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:19 pm

Fitz51 wrote:
*Strikes out at OCI*
*Shits on fellow poster for "ending up at Katten NYC"*

Come on now...
simply amazing

duvesks

New

Post by duvesks » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:44 pm

lmao wowwww

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:02 pm

Lmao. What a clown. Prestige-whoring after striking out at OCI.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:20 pm

Hey, all I was saying was that Katten isn't Skadden - you're not gonna get wined and dined. Anon came off as super entitled.

also thought TLS was above strikeout shaming.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:21 pm

ya that's totally what you meant

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:22 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:Hey, all I was saying was that Katten isn't Skadden - you're not gonna get wined and dined. Anon came off as super entitled.

wut? there are plenty of lower vault firms w good summer programs

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:23 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:Hey, all I was saying was that Katten isn't Skadden - you're not gonna get wined and dined. Anon came off as super entitled.

nah not in this thread. there is an entirely different thread dedicated to strikeouts making fun of no offers

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”