Check out top-law-schools.com Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Mon May 25, 2015 11:11 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

DJ JD

Bronze

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Post by DJ JD » Tue May 26, 2015 12:16 am

I don't know how anyone "could" Netflix and work at the same time. It's not like you can effectively focus on two different things at the same time, you'd have to turn the volume up to some audible level, so unless your senior associate/partner is in their 60s, he or she can probably hear sounds coming from your computer, and honestly, using two screens to work is like damn near the most effective work tool I've ever had — I wouldn't dare trade that to catch up on the last season of Breaking the Walking Sons of Anarchy. Maybe I'm just a striver though.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue May 26, 2015 12:25 am

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Tue May 26, 2015 12:27 am

Starting tomorrow. I'm only going to have a regular yellow legal pad, no leather case. No offer?

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Tue May 26, 2015 12:29 am

sublime wrote:
DJ JD wrote:I don't know how anyone "could" Netflix and work at the same time. It's not like you can effectively focus on two different things at the same time, you'd have to turn the volume up to some audible level, so unless your senior associate/partner is in their 60s, he or she can probably hear sounds coming from your computer, and honestly, using two screens to work is like damn near the most effective work tool I've ever had — I wouldn't dare trade that to catch up on the last season of Breaking the Walking Sons of Anarchy. Maybe I'm just a striver though.

There are these miracle devices called headphones for your first issue.

I wouldn't netflix, because I know that I can't have something visual happening and still work, but I listen to music and podcasts all day.
Well I was going to say I lost my headphones and that doesn't apply to me, but then I realized I live almost directly across from an Apple Store and make enough money to buy a lifetime supply of headphones.

I'm still going to use that excuse though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:43 am

sublime wrote:
DJ JD wrote:I don't know how anyone "could" Netflix and work at the same time. It's not like you can effectively focus on two different things at the same time, you'd have to turn the volume up to some audible level, so unless your senior associate/partner is in their 60s, he or she can probably hear sounds coming from your computer, and honestly, using two screens to work is like damn near the most effective work tool I've ever had — I wouldn't dare trade that to catch up on the last season of Breaking the Walking Sons of Anarchy. Maybe I'm just a striver though.

I wouldn't netflix, because I know that I can't have something visual happening and still work, but I listen to music and podcasts all day.
I just leave my phone or iPad face down with earphones on. Basically listening to dialogue only but never actually "listening" to the dialogue. I'm fucking weird I'm gonna get no offered

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue May 26, 2015 1:44 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 1:58 am

Ugh my blackberry died today, and I wasn't able to charge it until now. Missed an email from a partner who wants to meet tomorrow afternoon (sent at around 3pm). NBD to reply tomorrow morning (I guess technically later this morning)? I feel like that would be better than replying at 2am EST.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Tue May 26, 2015 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ugh my blackberry died today, and I wasn't able to charge it until now. Missed an email from a partner who wants to meet tomorrow afternoon (sent at around 3pm). NBD to reply tomorrow morning (I guess technically later this morning)? I feel like that would be better than replying at 2am EST.
Pro tip. From what I've gathered from talking to attorneys, replying to people at odd hours leads to the inference that you'll be immediately available at that same time in the future. YMMV, but I've heard that a lot.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 am

sublime wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ugh my blackberry died today, and I wasn't able to charge it until now. Missed an email from a partner who wants to meet tomorrow afternoon (sent at around 3pm). NBD to reply tomorrow morning (I guess technically later this morning)? I feel like that would be better than replying at 2am EST.

It's memorial day, I don't think they will care either way.

Honestly, I pretty much never check my work email when I'm not there.
This is fine when you're a summer. But once you're an associate and your work actually matters, the "I pretty much never check my work email when I'm not there" approach will not fly.

Anon poster: Yeah, just reply back tomorrow morning. This is not a big deal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 7:05 am

A few answers to the questions upthread from a grizzled veteran senior associate:

1 - don't watch Netflix or listen to podcasts. Honestly, even music is problematic. I'm aware the need to stick speakers in your ears at all times is a generational thing, but if you have focus for a podcast or music then you're not using all your attention on the work (or at least everyone over 35 or so will think that, which means it's de facto true given the context). Once you're an associate, there are certain tasks for which music is tacitly understood as tolerated, but a) you're not an associate yet so don't chance it and b) you'll still take great pains to avoid be busted by a partner listening to tunes even though everyone does it. Netflix is something that I think lots of folks do during diligence or doc review but woe be unto the person who gets caught by a partner watching a show.

If you must listen to music, recommend putting in one ear only so you don't need to make a show of pulling the buds out if someone comes to your office to speak. And no clunky Beats-style ones.

2 - you should be checking email minimum 3 times a day on weekends. I certainly don't expect the same instant response from a summer that I do from a real associate, but I do expect a response on the same day, generally within a few hours (unless I've emailed after 7 or so, in which case first thing tomorrow AM is fine). That being said if I give you a heads up we may need a hand over the weekend, response better be near instantaneous and if it won't be, a one line "going to be out of pocket for next few hours. fyi" email is much appreciated.

As a general rule, for all this stuff, watch how the partners conduct themselves. If all partners are in suits every day, you too wear a suit. If some are in shirt and slacks, then biz cas is fine. If they all leave doors open, so too yours. If they use a headset, so too you. Doesn't work 100% of the time because they get to do certain things as demonstrations of status but it's a better guide than anything else you got for items you'd be uncomfortable asking an associate about.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue May 26, 2015 5:28 pm

This is again why a lot of this stuff is firm specific and your best point of contact is probably going to be your associate mentor rather than a random collection of law students. I received after hours emails last year at all sorts of times, but was specifically told that no responses were expected outside of the 9-5 window. A lot of time people send stuff just when they think of it (duh), and while the expected responsiveness of a summer will be different, it's still going to be a cultural thing what exactly that is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Tue May 26, 2015 5:29 pm

Anyone buy any Rossetti uomo suits? How much did you pay? I think my tailor is trying to scam me.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue May 26, 2015 5:32 pm

didn't have much to work on today, so a partner told me to make rounds and note anybody that is "weird and antisocial" wearing headphones.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:36 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:didn't have much to work on today, so a partner told me to make rounds and note anybody that is "weird and antisocial" wearing headphones.
Good to know TLS-ing isn't one of the things you're supposed to be looking for.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Tue May 26, 2015 5:40 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:didn't have much to work on today, so a partner told me to make rounds and note anybody that is "weird and antisocial" wearing headphones.
Is it antisocial to wear earplugs when drafting memos/briefs? I can't focus without them

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue May 26, 2015 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A few answers to the questions upthread from a grizzled veteran senior associate:

1 - don't watch Netflix or listen to podcasts. Honestly, even music is problematic. I'm aware the need to stick speakers in your ears at all times is a generational thing, but if you have focus for a podcast or music then you're not using all your attention on the work (or at least everyone over 35 or so will think that, which means it's de facto true given the context). Once you're an associate, there are certain tasks for which music is tacitly understood as tolerated, but a) you're not an associate yet so don't chance it and b) you'll still take great pains to avoid be busted by a partner listening to tunes even though everyone does it. Netflix is something that I think lots of folks do during diligence or doc review but woe be unto the person who gets caught by a partner watching a show.

If you must listen to music, recommend putting in one ear only so you don't need to make a show of pulling the buds out if someone comes to your office to speak. And no clunky Beats-style ones.

2 - you should be checking email minimum 3 times a day on weekends. I certainly don't expect the same instant response from a summer that I do from a real associate, but I do expect a response on the same day, generally within a few hours (unless I've emailed after 7 or so, in which case first thing tomorrow AM is fine). That being said if I give you a heads up we may need a hand over the weekend, response better be near instantaneous and if it won't be, a one line "going to be out of pocket for next few hours. fyi" email is much appreciated.

As a general rule, for all this stuff, watch how the partners conduct themselves. If all partners are in suits every day, you too wear a suit. If some are in shirt and slacks, then biz cas is fine. If they all leave doors open, so too yours. If they use a headset, so too you. Doesn't work 100% of the time because they get to do certain things as demonstrations of status but it's a better guide than anything else you got for items you'd be uncomfortable asking an associate about.
this is either flame or you work at a t5 depressing firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Started a week ago. All I think all day. Image

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:53 pm

Sweet dual monitor setup though. For a dog no less. I want to make a "nobody knows you're a dog when it's a phone interview" joke but I think that's 3 jokes too many.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue May 26, 2015 9:47 pm

I'm pretty excited about my first due diligence assignment

I assume that's a feeling that never gets old when you're an actual associate

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Tue May 26, 2015 9:53 pm

sublime wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
sublime wrote:

I just leave my phone or iPad face down with earphones on. Basically listening to dialogue only but never actually "listening" to the dialogue. I'm fucking weird I'm gonna get no offered
At that point, it isn't really any different than a podcast imo
yeah I retract my jfc and replace it with a wtf

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 10:20 pm

Anon cuz posters in here are in my summer class (99% sure). V50 in DC.

Got a cite check assignment for a motion. Made the necessary corrections, left work. 10 minutes into my workout (only the 2nd one I've had time for after work), I get an email from the associate saying one of the cases that was cited had negative treatment, and to find another case. I double checked - it had a yellow flag, there wasn't really any negative treatment, and was NOT bad law. In fact, it was perfectly good law that's still being cited by the same court. But whatever, I found some other cases that kinda say the same thing but aren't nearly as good as the case we cited.

I'm not retarded, right? That case was perfectly fine? I don't want to feel like an arrogant shit, but it was kind of annoying to get useless work.

Yes, I realize this is just a small taste of the biglaw life.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 26, 2015 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon cuz posters in here are in my summer class (99% sure). V50 in DC.

Got a cite check assignment for a motion. Made the necessary corrections, left work. 10 minutes into my workout (only the 2nd one I've had time for after work), I get an email from the associate saying one of the cases that was cited had negative treatment, and to find another case. I double checked - it had a yellow flag, there wasn't really any negative treatment, and was NOT bad law. In fact, it was perfectly good law that's still being cited by the same court. But whatever, I found some other cases that kinda say the same thing but aren't nearly as good as the case we cited.

I'm not retarded, right? That case was perfectly fine? I don't want to feel like an arrogant shit, but it was kind of annoying to get useless work.
I have no idea if the case was perfectly fine or not; I just have your conclusion that that the case was "perfectly good law." But maybe the case is not the best authority. Perhaps the case "is still being cited" only by certain judges on the court, and the associate knows that the judge you're in front of might have an issue with it. You can't just conclude that a case is fine because it doesn't have a red flag on Westlaw.

It's possible that the associate mindlessly asked you to cite another case for no reason at all. But it's also possible that you're an arrogant brat who is going to be miserable to work with. I'd err on the side of humility, dude. You might want to acquire more than two weeks of experience before concluding that corrections to your work product are "useless."
Last edited by rpupkin on Tue May 26, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 10:53 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anon cuz posters in here are in my summer class (99% sure). V50 in DC.

I have no idea if the case was perfectly fine or not; I just have your conclusion that that the case was "perfectly good law." But maybe the case is not the best authority. Perhaps the case "is still being cited" only by certain judges on the court, and the associate knows that the judge you're in front of might have an issue with it. You can't just conclude that a case is fine because it doesn't have a red flag on Westlaw.

It's possible that the associate mindlessly asked you to cite another case for no reason at all. But it's also possible that you're an arrogant brat who is going to be miserable to work with. I'd err on the side of humility, dude. You might want to acquire more than two weeks of experience before you conclude that corrections to your work product are "useless."

Yeah, I'm fully aware that I'm coming off as an ass. I'm just venting because I was really looking forward to finally working out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”