Finish CPA or Secondary Journal?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Finish CPA or Secondary Journal?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 7:27 am

I can comfortably finish my CPA before the end of 2L or do a secondary journal. I'm likely going to strike out at OCI (slightly above median @ T25/ 4 yrs WE in finance/accounting). Looking to do transactional/corporate work, no desire to do litigation.

I have a 1L position in the market where I hope to practice, working with a unique non-profit that does transactional work. From what I understand I will be working with attorneys from various firms in this practice area, so I will have the opportunity to network. If worse comes to worse, I think the CPA will make me more attractive for a compliance position in the financial industry.

Would the journal or a CPA make me more attractive as I'm trying to network my way into a job outside of OCI?

Thanks in advance.

lawhopeful10

Re: Finish CPA or Secondary Journal?

Postby lawhopeful10 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:30 am

How time intensive are your secondary journals. My buddy who was an accounting major thought about dropping out and he tested the market by applying to tons of places. He got some bites but he thought it would have been better if he had CPA. Someone else might know more on that but my point is that on at least the secondary journals at our school, you can get by committing just like 30 minutes a week to the journal. Maybe a little more a week where your note stuff is due but you can really rush through cite checking. It might be different at your school but here a secondary journal really isn't a crazy time commitment unless you want it to be.

Edit: in case I wasn't clear I think you might be able to do both since the journal isn't too time intensive.
Last edited by lawhopeful10 on Fri May 01, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 9:38 am

Accounting major here t14. I think my major helped me obtained a job at a preftigous firm because (1) I wasn't in LS because I couldn't find a job (2) knowledge might be helpful in general. But I never took the CPA examination although had plans on doing so.. I would say it useful to finding a job and even though it might be irrelevant people seem to respect the three letters. On the other hand.. I joined a journal and now looking back I think it was a waste of time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I can comfortably finish my CPA before the end of 2L or do a secondary journal. I'm likely going to strike out at OCI (slightly above median @ T25/ 4 yrs WE in finance/accounting). Looking to do transactional/corporate work, no desire to do litigation.

I have a 1L position in the market where I hope to practice, working with a unique non-profit that does transactional work. From what I understand I will be working with attorneys from various firms in this practice area, so I will have the opportunity to network. If worse comes to worse, I think the CPA will make me more attractive for a compliance position in the financial industry.

Would the journal or a CPA make me more attractive as I'm trying to network my way into a job outside of OCI?

Thanks in advance.

stick with the CPA. At a T25, at median, 2.5 years WE in International IBanking/M&A and VC work and Startup experience and no journal. received offers in NYC and Chi at V25 firms. Didn't have an issue getting interviews through OCI - about 15 interviews, 13 offers (5 of which were V25 firms)

dwyf

Postby dwyf » Fri May 01, 2015 10:31 am

Might the CPA be helpful for securing government work? I'm thinking corp fin at the SEC or something.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Fri May 01, 2015 10:55 am

I was thinking of getting my CPA as well, post graduation, but I was afraid that it would (at least in the eyes of employers) increase my liability and spread confusion as to what I was attesting to if I was on a deal. I.E. I am not sure a lawfirm would want a CPA on a IPO, because it might "expertize" them before the SEC as to the audited statements/financials

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 5:13 pm

i interviewed at EIP/OCI with 1 year at a big 4 accounting firm + finishing all 4 CPA exams (i finished the test before law school started). it seemed to add credibility, but i really don't see why you can't do both the journal and CPA. i was on a secondary journal, and it took maybe a couple hours per semester (it also didn't have a note requirement).

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri May 01, 2015 5:15 pm

Did anyone study for the CPA while in LS? Was this difficult?

Return to “Legal Employment”