Doing a SA even if you want Fed? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
whats an updog

Bronze

Doing a SA even if you want Fed?

Post by whats an updog » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:04 am

I'm pretty sure that I will prefer working for the federal government rather than a firm. But I'm also interested to try an SA and am going to be trying to get offers from firms as best I can.

Is it a huge problem for the bigfed job hunt if you do a 2L SA? What does the timeline look like in that case - do you try to get your offer and then start looking for fed jobs in 3L?

bigeast03

Bronze

Re: Doing a SA even if you want Fed?

Post by bigeast03 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:27 am

As long as you are able to paint a believable "why this Agency" picture afterwards, it shouldn't be a problem. At the same time, this is pretty dependent on which Fed Agency you're looking at right now.

Anecdotally, I worked at the same Fed Agency for both summers, got an Honors spot and then had the Agency rescind all offers. I think it's hard to say whether having an SA instead would have helped or hurt in this scenario. It would've been nice to have some firm work on my resume, but it might be a red flag to new firms at the same time.

As for the timeline, Honors Program hiring applications open in July-September, interviews go out October-November, and offers go out in January. All of your 3L year.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:36 am

You make enough money as an SA that I doubt it would ever be worth it to turn one down just to avoid the possible risk of of FedGov viewing it negatively.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:58 pm

bigeast03 wrote:As long as you are able to paint a believable "why this Agency" picture afterwards, it shouldn't be a problem. At the same time, this is pretty dependent on which Fed Agency you're looking at right now.

Anecdotally, I worked at the same Fed Agency for both summers, got an Honors spot and then had the Agency rescind all offers. I think it's hard to say whether having an SA instead would have helped or hurt in this scenario. It would've been nice to have some firm work on my resume, but it might be a red flag to new firms at the same time.

As for the timeline, Honors Program hiring applications open in July-September, interviews go out October-November, and offers go out in January. All of your 3L year.
Was that Labor?

I have to disagree a little here. I think agencies like that you've worked with government if not with the specific agency already. All of my interviewers mentioned how important public service commitment was. Hard to make an argument for that if you have an SA which likely leads to post-grad offer.

There are also summer positions with BigFed that to my understanding, lead to offers. I think they are called pathways or something to that effect.

But as big east points out, sometimes you could be left out in the cold.

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:51 pm

bigeast03 wrote:As long as you are able to paint a believable "why this Agency" picture afterwards, it shouldn't be a problem. At the same time, this is pretty dependent on which Fed Agency you're looking at right now.

Geez when did they rescind all offers? hopefully not too late in the process

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:04 pm

Alright, so in 3L I will have the opportunity to try my damnedest to get a BigFed job after I (hopefully) secure an offer for a firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”