Public Interest 2015: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nebby

Re: Public Interest 2015: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences...

Postby Nebby » Tue May 05, 2015 8:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's everyone's start date? Mine is June 1.

May 18

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 05, 2015 8:59 am

Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What should I do if I want my summer 2015 employer to be my postgrad fellowship sponsor? When should I have this conversation with my supervisor? 5 weeks or so into the internship?

One month in its good. By that time they've gotten to know you and your work, so they'll be more open to it. Plus, they won't have financial considerations to bear in mind.

Thanks! I'll be spamming every PI org in Philly starting early July, but I really want my 2015 summer employer to be my fellowship sponsor because I already have a project in mind for them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 05, 2015 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What should I do if I want my summer 2015 employer to be my postgrad fellowship sponsor? When should I have this conversation with my supervisor? 5 weeks or so into the internship?

One month in its good. By that time they've gotten to know you and your work, so they'll be more open to it. Plus, they won't have financial considerations to bear in mind.

Thanks! I'll be spamming every PI org in Philly starting early July, but I really want my 2015 summer employer to be my fellowship sponsor because I already have a project in mind for them.

Another question: since I will already be working for the organization I want to be my fellowship sponsor, do I have to write out a separate cover letter for them? Or should I less formally just approach my supervisor one month into the internship about fellowship sponsorships?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue May 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Approach them informally about the fellowship. If you don't already have standing meetings to discuss stuff, then schedule a meeting with them and bring it up then.

Have they ever had fellows before? If not or if you don't knew, then that's your first question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Nebby wrote:Approach them informally about the fellowship. If you don't already have standing meetings to discuss stuff, then schedule a meeting with them and bring it up then.

Have they ever had fellows before? If not or if you don't knew, then that's your first question.

Yes, they currently have an Independence Foundation fellow working on veterans' issues, and one of the current staff attorneys is a former Independence Foundation fellow with the org.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 07, 2015 10:53 am

Will anyone else be certified this summer to represent clients in hearings? Really stoked to have my own caseload.

swampman

Postby swampman » Thu May 07, 2015 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Will anyone else be certified this summer to represent clients in hearings? Really stoked to have my own caseload.

Awesome! 1L or 2L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 07, 2015 11:17 am

swampman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will anyone else be certified this summer to represent clients in hearings? Really stoked to have my own caseload.

Awesome! 1L or 2L?

2L. In my state you need to have taken Evidence and PR in order to be certified.

I think though, if you're just appearing before an ALJ, 1Ls can do that too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 07, 2015 3:48 pm

By the time I approach my internship supervisor about fellowship sponsorship, should I already have a detailed project proposal in hand?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu May 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:By the time I approach my internship supervisor about fellowship sponsorship, should I already have a detailed project proposal in hand?

No. In fact, I would use the opportunity to work with the organization to figure out what a good project would be. The organization will likely have a better idea of their project needs then you will.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun May 10, 2015 10:34 am

Should I submit the 2 page version of my resume for fellowship apps? The 1 page version only has my legal experience; the 2 page version includes my WE prior to law school, which was public interest oriented (a stint with AmeriCorps and worked as a domestic violence advocate).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 12, 2015 10:16 am

Any point in throwing a hail mary app to the Skadden Fellowship this fall? I go to a T30 and have a 3.0 GPA, with no journal, so I am about as far from Skadden material as you can get. Def applying to EJW, which doesn't ask for transcripts.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue May 12, 2015 10:59 am

BlueLotus wrote:Should I submit the 2 page version of my resume for fellowship apps? The 1 page version only has my legal experience; the 2 page version includes my WE prior to law school, which was public interest oriented (a stint with AmeriCorps and worked as a domestic violence advocate).

I think 2 pagers are good for fellowships, since you want to show a pattern of commitment to public interest.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed May 20, 2015 10:26 am

My first assignment is an advanced admin law question that doesn't have an answer. This is amazing--exactly the intellectual stimulation I was hoping for. #NerdHeaven

Also, are there seriously no other PI nerds on this bort? Git in hur.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Wed May 20, 2015 1:39 pm

Nebby wrote:My first assignment is an advanced admin law question that doesn't have an answer. This is amazing--exactly the intellectual stimulation I was hoping for. #NerdHeaven

That's cool, my agency gave me similar work. I loved it. I used my admin law memo for my writing sample and it opened several conversations when I did my GovHonors interviews.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri May 22, 2015 3:19 pm

Checking in. Continuing full-time at an environmental non-profit I did part-time work at in the spring. Just did the JD AmeriCorps thing...my school is fairly useless, is there any good resource for tracking down funding?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri May 22, 2015 4:23 pm

Easy-E wrote:Checking in. Continuing full-time at an environmental non-profit I did part-time work at in the spring. Just did the JD AmeriCorps thing...my school is fairly useless, is there any good resource for tracking down funding?

I don't know of anything for the summer outside of that JD AmeriCorps thing. :(

I'm also doing environmental work this summer!

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue May 26, 2015 9:09 am

Nebby wrote:
Easy-E wrote:Checking in. Continuing full-time at an environmental non-profit I did part-time work at in the spring. Just did the JD AmeriCorps thing...my school is fairly useless, is there any good resource for tracking down funding?

I don't know of anything for the summer outside of that JD AmeriCorps thing. :(

I'm also doing environmental work this summer!

Yeah, I only heard of the JD AmeriCorps deal late last week, but I figured their wasn't much more. That's awesome, I really enjoy the environmental work. I'd love to make a career out of it, but career paths for this type of work seem to be pretty limited/competitive.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue May 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Nebby wrote:

LOL at how much longer the summer associate thread is. Really shows where TLS priorities lie.

Oh, and PSJD is a great source of tracking down summer/postgraduate funding opportunities.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue May 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Playing softball tonight on my office's team. I wonder if I can snag an offer with home-run skills?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Is it typical for public interest employers to assign work over the weekends (like they do in BigLaw)? I am toying with the idea of getting a crappy retail job for the weekends for the extra $$ since my internship is unpaid.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu May 28, 2015 2:26 pm

No they don't, and they actively tell interns to not do work outside of work hours because it's unnecessary. In practice, if you're doing public interest lit and trial is coming up, or similar circumstances, then you're going to be doing some weekend work.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu May 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it typical for public interest employers to assign work over the weekends (like they do in BigLaw)? I am toying with the idea of getting a crappy retail job for the weekends for the extra $$ since my internship is unpaid.

No, especially if there were some specific terms regarding hours/days when you were offered the position. Mine was 35 per week, and my supervisor made it clear that I don't need to work anything beyond that. Like Nebby said, it could happen in actual practice of course.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 5:16 pm

All I know is that I am expected to work full-time. Although that normally means M-F 9-5, I'm willing to go the extra mile and work more hours if needed, esp. since I want my summer 2015 employer to be my fellowship sponsor. It's just tough to live off of summer public interest funding, which is why I am looking at retail work for the weekends. I got the AmeriCorps JD thing, but I won't be awarded the $1212 education award until after I complete 300 hours of service.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Thu May 28, 2015 5:21 pm

I spent some weekends soft networking with people so take that possibility into account. You should have ample time weekends to work another job though.

Return to “Legal Employment”