Public Interest 2015: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TransferHopeful17

New

Re: Public Interest 2015: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences...

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:34 pm

I felt really horrible about doing it because I didn't want to burn a bridge and he was offering a great opportunity. Whether I did or not, I don't know, and I tried my best to handle it with as much class as possible. I would hope he wouldn't hold it against me, but he would have had a right to be disappointed in not handling it better. He did wish me well in the end, fwiw. Lesson learned.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:19 pm

TransferHopeful17 wrote:I felt really horrible about doing it because I didn't want to burn a bridge and he was offering a great opportunity. Whether I did or not, I don't know, and I tried my best to handle it with as much class as possible. I would hope he wouldn't hold it against me, but he would have had a right to be disappointed in not handling it better. He did wish me well in the end, fwiw. Lesson learned.
Apologies if I made you feel bad. I was really just wondering if that was no longer the standard advice (or maybe never was and I just went to a school that worships judges way too much, which is entirely possible).

TransferHopeful17

New

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:33 pm

No worries. It sucked missing out on the opportunity and making a difficult choice but he seemed fairly understanding.

It was encouraging to read of all the different experiences in this thread. A lot of you all are doing some really interesting work.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:35 pm

I feel like "you can't say no to a judge" is becoming less of a thing? I got told the same thing, about not saying no to a judge. But the judges I actually ended up clerking for both gave me outs/genuine opportunities to say no, and I have a hard time thinking they'd treat an extern any differently. I'm sure there are judges out there who care, though.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:30 am

I transferred and both law schools told me in NO uncertain terms that you do NOT say no to a judge unless there is an extreme circumstance--like, the guy actively creeps on you (this happened to someone I know, ugh), or you find out your parent is sick and need to move cross-country.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:23 am

Does the "you can't say no to a judge" apply to unpaid judicial clerkships? I seriously hope not.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:33 am

I don't think paid/unpaid makes any difference to whether an individual judge is going to expect you to accept if offered. You know going in that it's unpaid

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think paid/unpaid makes any difference to whether an individual judge is going to expect you to accept if offered. You know going in that it's unpaid
Bingo.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Are unpaid judicial clerkships a state by state thing? I think they are all paid in my state.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TransferHopeful17

New

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Unpaid in mine. And I should have prefaced all this with saying that the judge knew me by last name, so while I felt bad about choosing another avenue, I was hoping he would know I wasn't being flaky and hold it against me. If there hadn't been that history, I really doubt I would have felt like I had any option there. He had worked with a family member in the past for years.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:41 pm

TransferHopeful17 wrote:Unpaid in mine. And I should have prefaced all this with saying that the judge knew me by last name, so while I felt bad about choosing another avenue, I was hoping he would know I wasn't being flaky and hold it against me. If there hadn't been that history, I really doubt I would have felt like I had any option there. He had worked with a family member in the past for years.
No, you're a rising 2L so you're talking about an internship/externship, not a clerkship.

TransferHopeful17

New

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:48 pm

My mistake--you are correct. And I agree as far as paid/unpaid not making a difference.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:00 pm

For unpaid judicial clerkships, if you find a FTLT paying legal gig, can you leave the clerkship mid-way? I just don't want to be exploited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:14 pm

BlueLotus wrote:For unpaid judicial clerkships, if you find a FTLT paying legal gig, can you leave the clerkship mid-way? I just don't want to be exploited.
I wouldn't do this, seems a real dick move. I think if you have a clerkship most places will understand you need to finish before you start.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Easy-E wrote:Are unpaid judicial clerkships a state by state thing? I think they are all paid in my state.
The only ones I know of are federal, and I don't think they're very common.

Or another version of "unpaid" is if your school pays for it, I guess. Then you just need to find a judge willing to take on free labor.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:33 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Easy-E wrote:Are unpaid judicial clerkships a state by state thing? I think they are all paid in my state.
The only ones I know of are federal, and I don't think they're very common.

Or another version of "unpaid" is if your school pays for it, I guess. Then you just need to find a judge willing to take on free labor.
Interesting. NJ has paid clerkships for all judges superior court and up I think (480 total). Pay isn't great ($47-61k depending on court), but I'd be happy to grab one. Is that unusual? Maybe I misunderstood. We're talking about post-graduate clerkships right? Not internships.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:51 pm

Yup. I think honestly the unpaid federal ones came about in part because of people getting Lathamed; some people got money from their firms to take a year off and they would go work for a federal judge for free to get experience/not have a gap on their resume - for free in that the judge didn't pay, though they often had some firm money to tide them over. There's one judge I know of (in a courthouse that I know had some Lathamed volunteers) who advertises for a "pro bono" clerk, but I do think it's very uncommon. Otherwise if you can't get a job lined up, and you can get a stipend from your school, some people clerk that way (but it's on top of a judge's normal hiring, at least in my experience, not as a substitute for).

I've never heard of an unpaid state clerkship (many don't pay very much at all, but not unpaid).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Did anyone get reimbursed for their background checks for Equal Justice Works? Or is it supposed to come with the award?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:10 am

Easy-E wrote:Did anyone get reimbursed for their background checks for Equal Justice Works? Or is it supposed to come with the award?
I got a $10 check from EJW in late May.

sdancer89

New

Post by sdancer89 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:52 pm

Got a check after I bothered them about it for a few months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:32 am

I'm a rising 3L who secured a postgrad NJ clerkship. PM me if interested

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 3L who secured a postgrad NJ clerkship. PM me if interested
I don't think anyone can PM you if you are anon...also, interested in what specifically? Clerkships?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:21 pm

My internship ends today at 4. Walking through the office and saying my goodbyes to the attorneys is bitter sweet but it was a great experience and I feel that I developed relevant skills. Looking forward to going back to school in 2 weeks!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:03 am

Today's my last day. It's been an amazing summer, and I don't want it to end. :(

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:40 am

I'm so glad my internship is ending today. I don't want to work for people who don't appreciate my free labor. :(

I got a lead for an internship this fall at an immigration org. Really stoked!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”