Public Interest 2015: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Holly Golightly

Gold

Re: Public Interest 2015: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences...

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Speaking as someone who evaluates fellowship and internship apps, you are 1000% wrong.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:40 pm

So a resume with eight internships in really tiny point font will look OK? (Right now it is 11 pt. font, which is already pretty small) I just don't want my resume to look too crowded, or else people's eyes will just glaze over when looking at it. I'm worried that I will look like a flake-out if I have a string of too many short-term gigs on my resume. Besides, it is better to work for an org for a full year so you can actually see a case from start to finish. I filed a bunch of SS disability cases and I would like to continue working for the same org so I can actually find out the outcome.

I am frustrated and upset that I was turned down by my employer for a fellowship sponsorship, but I still want to continue doing great work for them. When one door closes, another opens. I am sure that there are other opportunities out there--this is not the end of the road.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:40 pm

starluck wrote:Hi Everyone, recent grad studying for the bar here. I thought I'd drop by because I remember how stressed and hopeless I felt at this point last summer while I was still looking for a host organization and just skimming through some of the comments I know people are still looking. I had been applying all summer, applications every day, got pulled around by my summer employer who kept going back and forth on sponsoring someone and finally applied end of July to a host organization and got an interview the next day and was picked to be their candidate in August and got a fellowship then in March. Most my other friends who ended up getting organizations didn't get anyone till August and then just had a big push for EJW. There's still plenty of time. Just make sure you're really expressing why you and why this project/organization. Get personal. I felt like my cover letter was borderline unprofessional it was so personal about the issue I'm working on but that's what got me the position. And also just remember that fellowships really aren't the only game in town.

If anyone has questions or needs some reassurance feel free to reach out. I feel like particularly at schools that aren't used to getting a lot of fellows that career services don't have a clue about how to help.
Thanks, solid advice.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:42 pm

I refused to engage you on the resume again and suggest you seek help.

Not sarcasm. Earnestly, seek help.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:48 pm

smaug wrote:I refused to engage you on the resume again and suggest you seek help.

I already sought help. I showed my resume to my internship mentor who is a board member of the org I am working for, and he said that it was good but too crowded. Adding an eighth internship with a new org will make it look even more crowded. Besides, I really want to see the conclusion of the SS Disability cases I filed, and I can't do that if I leave my current org.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:54 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
smaug wrote:I refused to engage you on the resume again and suggest you seek help.

I already sought help. I showed my resume to my internship mentor who is a board member of the org I am working for, and he said that it was good but too crowded. Adding an eighth internship with a new org will make it look even more crowded. Besides, I really want to see the conclusion of the SS Disability cases I filed, and I can't do that if I leave my current org.
Just drop some of the internships from your resume. Honestly 7 internships is way too many. Try to develop a personal narrative of sorts that you can sell to orgs, and the three or four that least fit this narrative should be dropped. If it the rejection at the current place were some sort of organizational thing, the person would have said "BlueLotus, we really enjoyed having you here and you've done good work, but we can't sponsor you for a fellowship now due to X. If you stay on there's a chance circumstances will change next year." If they didn't say something like this then move on. The crowded resume is literally the most inane reasoning imaginable for staying at a job that won't pay you.

I sincerely wish you well. You really seem dedicated to this.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:55 pm

I mean seek therapy, because your refusal to cut things down/accept that you can write a one-page resume has to be a sign of something. I'm not going to pretend I know what it is, I'm just trying to interact, as real person to real person, and say "hey, this isn't normal, you should be concerned."

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:00 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

Just drop some of the internships from your resume. Honestly 7 internships is way too many. Try to develop a personal narrative of sorts that you can sell to orgs, and the three or four that least fit this narrative should be dropped. If it the rejection at the current place were some sort of organizational thing, the person would have said "BlueLotus, we really enjoyed having you here and you've done good work, but we can't sponsor you for a fellowship now due to X. If you stay on there's a chance circumstances will change next year." If they didn't say something like this then move on. The crowded resume is literally the most inane reasoning imaginable for staying at a job that won't pay you.

I sincerely wish you well. You really seem dedicated to this.
I did immigration work my 1L summer, so I might work for them in the fall. I will reach out to them shortly. I'd prefer not to drop internships from my resume, since PI orgs want to see the breadth of public service experience you have (also, if I drop internships, then I would have gaps on my resume, and employers will wonder what I was doing with my life during that period.)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:03 pm

BlueLotus wrote:So a resume with eight internships in really tiny point font will look OK? (Right now it is 11 pt. font, which is already pretty small) I just don't want my resume to look too crowded, or else people's eyes will just glaze over when looking at it. I'm worried that I will look like a flake-out if I have a string of too many short-term gigs on my resume. Besides, it is better to work for an org for a full year so you can actually see a case from start to finish. I filed a bunch of SS disability cases and I would like to continue working for the same org so I can actually find out the outcome.

I am frustrated and upset that I was turned down by my employer for a fellowship sponsorship, but I still want to continue doing great work for them. When one door closes, another opens. I am sure that there are other opportunities out there--this is not the end of the road.
Law students are expected to have a string of short-term gigs. It's completely different from working full time. You can do a different internship every semester and every summer and it's fine. I feel like crowded is more about aesthetics than the number of different gigs you've had.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:04 pm

smaug wrote:I mean seek therapy, because your refusal to cut things down/accept that you can write a one-page resume has to be a sign of something. I'm not going to pretend I know what it is, I'm just trying to interact, as real person to real person, and say "hey, this isn't normal, you should be concerned."
I don't want to add an eighth internship with a completely different org this fall, because that would prevent me from having succinct, crisp 1 page resume. I am looking to go back to the immigration org I worked for 1L summer (they wrote me a strong recommendation, which enabled me win $9,500 in fellowship money my 2L summer). Hopefully they won't burn me like my current org did. Also, the random small firm attorney who consoled me on the train is a past president of that immigration org, so I feel really positive re: my chances of getting a fellowship sponsorship from them.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:06 pm

You're avoiding the thrust of what I'm saying.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:07 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:So a resume with eight internships in really tiny point font will look OK? (Right now it is 11 pt. font, which is already pretty small) I just don't want my resume to look too crowded, or else people's eyes will just glaze over when looking at it. I'm worried that I will look like a flake-out if I have a string of too many short-term gigs on my resume. Besides, it is better to work for an org for a full year so you can actually see a case from start to finish. I filed a bunch of SS disability cases and I would like to continue working for the same org so I can actually find out the outcome.

Law students are expected to have a string of short-term gigs. It's completely different from working full time. You can do a different internship every semester and every summer and it's fine. I feel like crowded is more about aesthetics than the number of different gigs you've had.
Yes, but SS disability, immigration cases, etc. are processed very slowly, so it is better to serve an org for a year if not longer so that you can get a feeling of accomplishment by seeing the case through from start to finish. A semester or summer is too short a time.

Hopefully the immigration org I worked for my 1L summer will let me volunteer for them in the fall, and maybe take me on as a fellow. Fingers crossed! :D

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:09 pm

smaug wrote:You're avoiding the thrust of what I'm saying.
And that is...?

A semester or summer is too short a time to work for an employer, especially when it's immigration and USCIS takes forever to process petitioners' apps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:13 pm

I don't think your feeling of accomplishment is the measure of whether a semester isn't enough time to work for an employer. It's absolutely common/normal to work for an employer for one semester/summer only. If you want to go back to an org you've worked for already that's also totally great, but it's your preference, not something that the job search requires.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:17 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
And that is...?

A semester or summer is too short a time to work for an employer, especially when it's immigration and USCIS takes forever to process petitioners' apps.
First, that you should, if you are not already, be in therapy. I'm not saying that to be mean. I'm serious about it.

Two, that you can, in all actuality, write a one-page resume. It is not and cannot be impossible for you to do so. It might be difficult, you might have to leave some things off, but there is absolutely no way that you need a two page resume right now. This problem is one that you've invented for yourself. I think it ties into problem one above, and into problem three below.

Third, most directly, you should be applying to jobs broadly now that you know you will not be able to continue on past this summer where you're currently working. Don't use the resume as an excuse. I assume that you have a resume you used to get the job you're currently in. At most, that's all you need to add. Nothing more. You can apply to more jobs. The resume problem is a farce. Just apply broadly. Don't self-sabotage.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think your feeling of accomplishment is the measure of whether a semester isn't enough time to work for an employer. It's absolutely common/normal to work for an employer for one semester/summer only. If you want to go back to an org you've worked for already that's also totally great, but it's your preference, not something that the job search requires.
I get your point, but it's nice to know that your efforts helped a seriously mentally ill person get SS disability or that your client can now legally stay in the United States. You don't get that if you just work somewhere for two months.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:22 pm

smaug wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
And that is...?

First, that you should, if you are not already, be in therapy. I'm not saying that to be mean. I'm serious about it.

Two, that you can, in all actuality, write a one-page resume. It is not and cannot be impossible for you to do so. It might be difficult, you might have to leave some things off, but there is absolutely no way that you need a two page resume right now. This problem is one that you've invented for yourself. I think it ties into problem one above, and into problem three below.

Third, most directly, you should be applying to jobs broadly now that you know you will not be able to continue on past this summer where you're currently working. Don't use the resume as an excuse. I assume that you have a resume you used to get the job you're currently in. At most, that's all you need to add. Nothing more. You can apply to more jobs. The resume problem is a farce. Just apply broadly. Don't self-sabotage.
You not addressing my points. I already have a 1 pager, which I used to get my current job. No need at all for anyone at this point in their career to have a two page resume unless they had like a 10 year gap between undergrad and law school (which I don't--only 27)

I AM applying to other jobs--I am certainly not banking on a fellowship. I am looking into small civil firms, PDs offices, SSA Attorney Advisor positions and state trial court clerkships. You cannot be picky ITE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:23 pm

I am glad you are applying for other jobs.

I also earnestly hope you're in therapy. I'm not being snarky with that, nor do I mean it in a disparaging way.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:25 pm

smaug wrote:I am glad you are applying for other jobs.

I also earnestly hope you're in therapy. I'm not being snarky with that, nor do I mean it in a disparaging way.
What does wanting to work for a place longer than a semester/summer have to do with my mental health?

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Please thoughtfully reread my posts above.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:30 pm

smaug wrote:Please thoughtfully reread my posts above.
I re-read it. YOU are missing the point. The random attorney I met on the train yesterday is a past president of the immigration org I worked for 1L summer, so it makes sense to use his influence to get a fall internship with the same org and possibly a fellowship. Let's not make this about my mental health, because that it not what this thread it about. Let's please get back on topic and discuss our summers, fellowship apps, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:26 pm

Smaug plz

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:09 pm

SOOOO, turning away from moi...

How's everyone else's summers progressing?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:20 pm

BlueLotus wrote:SOOOO, turning away from moi...

Good. I'm briefing the General Counsel in two weeks on a hot issue.

I'm going to a Nats game with a bunch of attorneys Monday. My program has had a surprising number of social events and field trips for us.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:08 am

Nebby wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:SOOOO, turning away from moi...

Good. I'm briefing the General Counsel in two weeks on a hot issue.

I'm going to a Nats game with a bunch of attorneys Monday. My program has had a surprising number of social events and field trips for us.
Glad to hear you're getting decent substantive work this summer. If I'm not mistaken, you're looking at gov't honors programs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”