Why Some Men Pretend to Work 80-Hour Weeks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JusticeHarlan

Re: Why Some Men Pretend to Work 80-Hour Weeks

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon May 11, 2015 10:08 am

TTTooKewl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Frayed Knot wrote:
PennBull wrote:Also there is no definitive mentality on vacations in biglaw. It change wildly between practice groups at the same damn firm. Some places you can definitely be out of pocket for two weeks. Some places will crucify you for taking more than two weeks of in-pocket vacation. I haven't heard of any place without a policy, but the policy never matters.

For what it's worth (not much) as a SA I was told off for leaving a 4th year in the CC line of an email chain because it interfered with their vacation.

90 percent chance that was bullshit. Nobody tells you the truth during the summer, nobody.

This looks like the consensus, but it seems so strange. Once a year, everyone for three months just puts on a happy face? Despite the fact that most of the current associates presumably were a few years earlier in the shoes of the SAs?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=230091

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:11 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:
TTTooKewl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Frayed Knot wrote:
PennBull wrote:Also there is no definitive mentality on vacations in biglaw. It change wildly between practice groups at the same damn firm. Some places you can definitely be out of pocket for two weeks. Some places will crucify you for taking more than two weeks of in-pocket vacation. I haven't heard of any place without a policy, but the policy never matters.

For what it's worth (not much) as a SA I was told off for leaving a 4th year in the CC line of an email chain because it interfered with their vacation.

90 percent chance that was bullshit. Nobody tells you the truth during the summer, nobody.

This looks like the consensus, but it seems so strange. Once a year, everyone for three months just puts on a happy face? Despite the fact that most of the current associates presumably were a few years earlier in the shoes of the SAs?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=230091

That was a real walk down memory lane. I miss thesealocust.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon May 11, 2015 11:21 am

TTTooKewl wrote:
los blancos wrote:
sam91 wrote:
TTTooKewl wrote:This looks like the consensus, but it seems so strange. Once a year, everyone for three months just puts on a happy face? Despite the fact that most of the current associates presumably were a few years earlier in the shoes of the SAs?

My office is next to where one or two SA offices are going to be, and I have no clue how I'm going to handle it.

What options are you considering?

I think it helps that I can speak with a lot of conditional language. Plus, this place isn't objectively horrible, firm life is just a really bad match for me personally to begin with and I've gotten a shitty draw on top of it.

But I'm not even sure I'm even comfortable sharing that.

Return to “Legal Employment”