Targeting cities for OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Targeting cities for OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Okay, so rather than study anymore for finals I'd rather get some input from the TLS community about which cities will be smart to target at OCI this August.

If anyone else feels like chipping in their own OCI stats, feel free.

Me:
School Rank:MVP BVD?
Class Rank: right around median
Cities Targeting: Chicago, my home market in the midwest-ish (think Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Indy), DC and MAYBE NY if I have to

Essentially I would rather avoid NY if I can--but I also know my grades don't exactly give me the liberty to pick any city I want.

So, is it a smart idea to bid Chicago/DC and my home market and not bid on NYC? Or is that just a recipe for me to strike out?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Re: Targeting cities for OCI

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:40 pm

You should really be focusing on finals instead of worrying about this now

Having said that, t10 @ median is very unlikely to get DC BigLaw unless you've got something really special going for you. I'd go so far as to call DC bids wasted. Idk about Chicago

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:44 pm

Yeah that's kind of what I thought about DC, too. Can anyone hear speak to Chicago? As in how much more of an insular market than NY is it?

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah that's kind of what I thought about DC, too. Can anyone hear speak to Chicago? As in how much more of an insular market than NY is it?

It's not a question of insularity, it's just that it has a fraction of the SA positions compared to NY. I would not feel great about only bidding Chicago from Chicago, never mind another T14, unless I had legitimately great grades. If I were you I would study for finals and worry about this shit later. Failing that, I would a) bid NYC b) bid chicago and c) mass-mail your home market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:02 am

eh yeah that's kind of what I was thinking I should do. i don't love the idea of nyc but obviously better than striking out

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:46 am

So, pretty sure you outed your school by the way you worded it. Assuming so, you should def target NYC too. Not saying you can't get DC from that school at median (study and do well on your exams and this won't be an issue) but it would be risky to not bet any NY. Chicago is possible because it's less sought after from that school but you may have to show somewhat of a tie, and the market is much smaller. Same with Pitt, Indy, etc but to a greater degree.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:21 am

How does your OCI work? Do you just rank your bids? If so, how competitive is the Chicago market? If I were you I'd rank mostly NYC firms, pick up whatever Chicago firms you can through OCI, and mass mail your home market (or pick up those interviews late on your bid list) just as others have suggested.

If eligible, look into CCBA's Minority Job Fair (it's basically open to anyone, tbh) and other off campus recruiting programs to supplement what screeners you land through your school's OCI.

I'd drop DC if I were you—especially if you had to sacrifice a high bid position for those DC firms.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:47 am

I don't think DC is out, but know what you're risking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:15 pm

haha yeah it's uva. i noticed that afterwards but w/e. Cookiejar, afaik, it's a mix of preselect and lottery--and many of the preselects in the spring OCI had top 25%/ top 1/3 stips. I have zero ties to chicago, dc, or nyc. I think I'm really asking if there is a reasonable chance at chicago/dc. though I suppose I'll do as other posters have said and mass mail the cities and firms I really want and may just bid heavy on nyc and some chicago.

okay, back to property studying.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:31 pm

I targeted multiple cities and I was fine. I bid roughly 50% bid on NYC, 25% DC, and 25% on Houston. I grew up in DC and was able to explain why I liked both Houston and NYC to employers. You're going to have a harder time explaining bidding both Chicago and NYC with a coherent story, but you can probably think of something.

Return to “Legal Employment”