(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Postby buddhabelly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Last edited by buddhabelly on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Dressing up for OCI

Postby smallfirmassociate » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:10 pm

I definitely wouldn't bring that monstrosity of a bigass purse / underarm suitcase or whatever it is.

Other than that, I'm a dude and don't know and probably don't care about the rest and would never notice.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:14 pm

I would say that all those necklaces are too big.

I agree about the bag.

I wouldn't mix colors for the suit.

Postby astrida19 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:23 pm

I would say go with neutral color flats (black, gray, navy) if you know you'll have trouble with heels. If you are comfortable it looks much better than stumbling around with heels.

I feel like the reason why dress suits are less popular is because suits in general are great for mix and match. You can switch out shells/button downs and wear the same suit to many interviews so I wouldn't give up on those just yet on suits since you'll be wearing them for years to come. As someone who also has an ample chest (30G+), I tend to wear shells and leave suit jackets open. I got a great suit at Ann Taylor for cheap since they have student discounts!

For bags, definitely not a branded bag like an LV. I've found the interview aim is to let your clothing/accessories speak as little as possible so as not to override your actual skills. Personally I often use a Longchamp bag or otherwise unbranded neutral colored bag. Same goes to jewelry, just studs are about all you should be wearing (unless you are married, then obviously wedding/engagement rings). In the end I find law to be a decently conservative field, maybe on the job you can wear a statement necklace/use more colorful accessories but no need in an interview.

Anyways this is just my $.02! Hope it helps!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:13 pm

Related - does anyone have thoughts on A-line skirts with skirt suits? I never see anyone wearing them, but I think they look great on me. There are some flashy skirts in that style, but I'm talking the most conservative A-line skirt suit you can think of.

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:17 pm

None of those necklaces are OCI-appropriate. Think simple, clean, elegant. Go to Macy's and look at all the Charter Club stuff, for example. When you get a job, you can be more interesting.

I would not mix colors for a dress suit. I've done it for court (black jacket over dark grey & ivory dress), but not for OCI. Unless you had, for example, a grey & black dress and a black jacket that REALLY matches the black in the dress.

You might try some more brands of skirt and pants suits. There's a huge difference between Theory and Ann Taylor and Lane Bryant and Banana Republic and Brooks Bros (just to name a few) in fit. If stuff is riding up, it may just be the wrong size, or maybe that cut is just not for you. (And I'm speaking as a fairly fat, extremely weirdly-shaped person, so I get it.)

The key is to look professional, confident, put together, and to not distract in any way.

I look extremely schlubby in flats, so I favor heels. But walking is always better than tripping, so if you NEED to do flats, do it.
You might try some very conservative wedge heels. Much easier to walk in.

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Related - does anyone have thoughts on A-line skirts with skirt suits? I never see anyone wearing them, but I think they look great on me. There are some flashy skirts in that style, but I'm talking the most conservative A-line skirt suit you can think of.

A nice boring A-line is fine.

Postby zot1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:18 pm

You can wear flats. Some more conservative people even appreciate it.

Leave the purse if you can. Use a padfolio instead.

Don't mix colors. I love mixing, but older people seriously hate it (for no good reason).

Be conservative with the jewelry. Less and simple is the way to go.

Postby fltanglab » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:54 pm

You should wear a skirt suit because otherwise you will stand out awkwardly. Navy, black, dark grey. If your skirt is riding up, you need to get a larger size. If that means buying separates in the same cut/color, then you should do that.

I think flats are okay if you are going to fall over in heels. Or you could be super hardcore and practice walking in heels from now until OCI. Depends on whether you're willing to spend that effort or not.

Your purses are too casual. You should get something that is a nice quality with no labels.

You don't need jewelry. Especially not necklaces or bracelets. Maybe earrings. The earrings you picked were fine. I would strongly advise against wearing a bracelet because you shake hands with employers and if they hate your bracelet they'll notice.

The last thing you want to be remembered for is your weird or unusual outfit (if I interviewed you I would remember if you were the only person wearing a dress or a large necklace). Stand out later. For now, blend in and let your resume and personality do the talking.

Postby JenDarby » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:43 am

My view for OCI was that there was no reason to carry a bag. Just leave all your things in your locker or car. A pad folio with your resumes should be all you need. I just stuck a debit card and cash inside and if I felt I really needed my phone, well that fit as well. That being said a longchamp bag was what well over 50% of females who had bags used during OCI at my school.

Postby k5220 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:07 pm

No jewelry is safest. Maybe simple studs if they are small and really really do not stand out.

Along the same line, avoid bags that have flashy name brands on them. The other one looks a little too casual but not terrible. I don't have a really good work bag so I just carry a small black purse and a padfolio.

I think a dress suit is fine, but agree with the other commenters that you want to stick to just one color.

Short heels are the safest- if you look for chunky ones you might find they're a lot easier to walk in. But if you absolutely need to do flats, that's okay.

Postby horriblegb » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:50 am

In regards to heels, I also went with them, because I think it is safe and an easy way to dress up your look.

When I went to law school I could not walk in heels to save my life. But I just practiced a lot by wearing them to all the events so that way, when I go to court now or whatever, I don't have to worry about it (like with conservative judges). Not that flats wouldn't be fine, I just always tried to make heels my go to for interviews at least. That being said, I also started off with super low heels, like one inch, and worked my way up.

Anyways, that is just my opinion, I am sure you would be fine either way.

Return to “Legal Employment”