Law Review and DA/PDs Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law Review and DA/PDs Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:09 pm

How important is Law Review for DA/PD Offices? Also, how important are Secondary Journals? Law Review and other Journals seem to be required, but I am starting to think it is more important for Clerkships/Law Firms. Would the time I put into the Journals/Law Review be beneficial at all? Or should I focus on just working at the Office?

swampman

Re: Law Review and DA/PDs Offices

Postby swampman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:16 pm

If anything, they are likely to ask you why you wasted so much time on it instead of doing something useful.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:17 pm

swampman wrote:If anything, they are likely to ask you why you wasted so much time on it instead of doing something useful.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:22 pm

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:40 pm

do mock trial/moot court/internships. pd/da don't care about law review or other journals.

may be helpful, but what the others have said, they'll ask why you wasted time doing those things instead of something more "useful"

conn09

Postby conn09 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:53 pm

What they all said.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:22 pm

DAs won't care whether you do law review or not. They would rather see you've participated in mock trial and taken Trial Ad.

However, here's a few reasons to do law review (which were personal, but might help you):

-It improved my overall attention to detail. Finding grammar/punctuation errors became second nature.
-I liked seeing my name in the print copies.
-It is useful if you decide being a DA isn't for you (it happens . . . ).

But also the cons:

-It can take time from other, more fun things.
-Not always a must have; I know many people who have gotten firm jobs without being in law review.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:32 pm

Echoing all the responses here, but will add that FPD and AUSA offices look favorably upon clerkships, and LR is almost a requirement for a clerkship.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:23 pm

msch0i wrote:LR is almost a requirement for a clerkship.

this is a stretch.

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:26 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

this is a stretch.

And by stretch, we mean patently false depending on school. Maybe from a random T1, but probably not from a T14 and certainly not from a t6

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:02 pm

Law review & other journals are not important typically to public defender offices & prosecutors. Public defenders want demonstrated commitment while DAs prefer political connections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:35 pm

Depending on the office Law Review could make the difference. I know PDS in Washington favors Law Review more than other honors organizations.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:42 pm

Washington state ? DC ?

Regardless, demonstrated commitment is the most important factor for public defenders--especially the federal public defenders which usually wants a minimum 5 years as a state or local PD. Spanish proficiency/fluency is second; followed by trial advocacy &/or moot court. Grades tend to be a non-factor; same with respect to class rank. Law review is viewed as insignificant unless going to an appellate division where it may have some positive impact.

Law review shows one's ability & tolerance to do serious hours of grunt work. Getting published or making editor show additional talents; all of which mean very little to hiring considerations for public defender work.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:48 pm

Nevertheless, I suppose that if one publishes an article in a law review or law journal favorable to criminal defense concerns, then that may be a form of "demonstrated interest." "Junk science" for example.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:50 pm

How is lack of Law Review viewed in civil legal aid?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:54 pm

If that question is directed to me, I'm sorry but I don't know. Civil legal aid isn't, to my knowledge and experience, as prevalent as criminal public defense due to, in large part, lack of funds. Many law schools offer indigent civil legal aid clinics --especially regarding housing matters. My best guess is that law review would be a non-factor in the area of indigent legal aid for civil matters.

swampman

Postby swampman » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:55 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Law review & other journals are not important typically to public defender offices & prosecutors. Public defenders want demonstrated commitment while DAs prefer political connections.

I don't think DA offices particularly care about political connections. Unless you're trying to become *the* DA, I guess.

Yeah, I was actually told by an elected DA to avoid any mention of political connections or affiliations. People with political involvement and connections are more likely to try to run against them later on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:02 am

Thank you for all your responses! I did not expect this much. I probably will not do Law Review.

I did have another quick question. How important is Law Review if I wanted to work at a small firm. This is assuming I do not get a DA job upon graduation (which, with this economy, is highly likely). Then I will try to work at a small firm until I get hired by the DA's. Any importance there at all?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:13 am

Tbh if you're considering clerkships or firm work you should probably do LR if you have the chance. Small firms may probs care less than BigLaw but as a rule of thumb firms like showing off LR on the associates' profile page

Also you'll get more informed answers if we have a sense where you go to school (or at least what range of school)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:22 am

For privacy reasons (even tho it is anonymous), I will say that I go to a law school literally right below T14. I have no desire at all to do a clerkship or a law firm. I want to work for a small law firm if I do not get a DA job upon graduation. I will likely intern for an extra year at the DA's Office and if that does not happen then I will search for jobs.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:31 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

this is a stretch.

It's a huge plus for people though (certainly people outside HYS). I've certainly heard of clerks who automatically toss all non-LR applications in the trash.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:37 pm

The responses suggesting that political connections are not important for ass't DA positions are wrong. Political connections are not required, but in times of tight budgets, those with such connections fare very well while those without are sometimes given the option to volunteer their time.

P.S. Just because the DA's office says not to mention political connections or contributions does not mean that they're not aware of such; it's just that they want to avoid any appearance of impropriety or of political preferences or favors.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:08 pm

I need to clarify that there are many more ass't DA positions available than there are politically connected applicants; it's just that in times of tight budgets, political connections are worth a lot.

transferror

Postby transferror » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:40 pm

IME the more "prestigious" offices (Manhattan DA, PDS in DC, etc.) care more about Law Review/Journal. This might be a function of preference, but I suspect it's just one more arbitrary metric that allows them to whittle down the insanely large applicant pool. For the vast majority of offices, journal doesn't matter and they'd rather see mock trial and/or relevant internships/externships/clinics, especially if you can get trial experience.

That said, I think OP should try for LR or journal because 1) if you strike out for DA/PD, it's beneficial to do a clerkship with a local criminal trial judge and re-apply; and 2) there's a chance you'll end up looking for jobs with smaller law firms and LR could be useful in that regard.

Either way just do the minimal amount of work required for journal and don't run for a board position. It's pretty easy to just do enough to get by and the upside to having LR might be important to you down the road.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Thank you for all your comments. I will be at the DA's 20+ hours/week. Moreover, I am already in a Journal that requires only a few hours/semester. I was hoping that would be enough for back-up plans (small firm, etc.).

How much more help would Law Review be versus a Secondary Journal. The Law Review at my school requires substantial amount of hours that may cut into the hours I will be at the DA's.

Also, I am in California, and will only be applying to CA DA Offices - if there is a DA Office in CA that cares about Law Review (like Manhattan DA/PDs in Washington) please let me know!

Thank you again for all the info again!

Return to “Legal Employment”