Mass Mail for 2L SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sam91

Mass Mail for 2L SA

Postby sam91 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:45 am

Hi All,

I know the consensus, if I'm correct, is to start mass mailing firms mid to late July.

I was just curious, what is the earliest someone has mass mailed and received a screener from that mailing for a 2L SA?

ymmv

Re: Mass Mail for 2L SA

Postby ymmv » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:50 am

sam91 wrote:Hi All,

I know the consensus, if I'm correct, is to start mass mailing firms mid to late July.

I was just curious, what is the earliest someone has mass mailed and received a screener from that mailing for a 2L SA?

Got a callback late July, which was either a 2 or 3 week turnaround from mailing. Secondary market though.

foundingfather

Postby foundingfather » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:10 am

my school's OCIs are in August—should I start mass mailing as soon as 1L grades come out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:16 am

sam91 wrote:Hi All,

I did a secondary market. I mailed right once I got my grades back (sometime in June). Screeners in early July, callbacks/offers by mid/late July.

sam91

Postby sam91 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:25 am

foundingfather wrote:my school's OCIs are in August—should I start mass mailing as soon as 1L grades come out?

Same here. Curious to hear what everyone thinks

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:32 am

sam91 wrote:
foundingfather wrote:my school's OCIs are in August—should I start mass mailing as soon as 1L grades come out?

I'd stick with early July. It worked well for a lot of us the last few years, and consensus is that's about the time most hiring committees are really ready to start looking at mailings.

foundingfather

Postby foundingfather » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:20 pm

ymmv wrote:
sam91 wrote:

I'd stick with early July. It worked well for a lot of us the last few years, and consensus is that's about the time most hiring committees are really ready to start looking at mailings.

great, thanks!

Edited for a follow-up question: Should we mass mail the same firm's we're bidding on? This might be a dumb question

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:06 pm

foundingfather wrote:
ymmv wrote:
sam91 wrote:

great, thanks!

Edited for a follow-up question: Should we mass mail the same firm's we're bidding on? This might be a dumb question

I didn't, because once bid results were released it gave me a great excuse to solicit interviews even from firms I actually ranked worthlessly low on my bidlist. Just write a cover letter saying "hey, I really wanted to interview with you guys but didn't get the bid through OCI. Got time to talk while you're here?" If I was within their grade cutoff, they usually either sent me straight to callbacks or shoehorned me into their screener schedule. This is also a great reason to fill out all 60 (or whatever number) slots you're allowed to have on a bidlist, even though there's zero chance of actually winning bids with the firms low on your list.

It can never be said enough how well mass mailing works, given the lack of effort involved.

foundingfather

Postby foundingfather » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:27 pm

ymmv wrote:
foundingfather wrote:Should we mass mail the same firm's we're bidding on? This might be a dumb question

I didn't, because once bid results were released it gave me a great excuse to solicit interviews even from firms I actually ranked worthlessly low on my bidlist. Just write a cover letter saying "hey, I really wanted to interview with you guys but didn't get the bid through OCI. Got time to talk while you're here?" If I was within their grade cutoff, they usually either sent me straight to callbacks or shoehorned me into their screener schedule. This is also a great reason to fill out all 60 (or whatever number) slots you're allowed to have on a bidlist, even though there's zero chance of actually winning bids with the firms low on your list.

It can never be said enough how well mass mailing works, given the lack of effort involved.

very, very helpful. thanks!

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:11 pm

tag

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 pm

There is a whole thread of Q&A about this btw: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=215200&hilit=Mass+mailing&start=600

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:54 pm

I started mass mailing the market I spent my summer in mid july, and had a pretty solid rate of return on there. I did not mass mail nyc until the first week of August, which resulted in a pretty shitty return rate. In my experience, the people who did well with mass mail in nyc mailed either early on in july, or right after OCI. IMO, the end of July-Early August window is a shitty one to focus the majority of your mass mail on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:38 pm

J9ofDiamonds wrote:I started mass mailing the market I spent my summer in mid july, and had a pretty solid rate of return on there. I did not mass mail nyc until the first week of August, which resulted in a pretty shitty return rate. In my experience, the people who did well with mass mail in nyc mailed either early on in july, or right after OCI. IMO, the end of July-Early August window is a shitty one to focus the majority of your mass mail on.

I think you're right about the optimal window. That said, if someone happens to be reading this in August after things have gone poorly, and they (like me last year) haven't mass mailed NYC already, I'd still take the flier on it. I managed to get 3 callbacks in early September.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Question,

If a firm's got both a NYC office and a secondary market office where you have ties, do you double up on the mass-mail - one to each recruiting contact or make a judgment call and only mail one office depending on how strong your ties/GPA are?

felinafelina

Postby felinafelina » Wed May 27, 2015 1:17 pm

This is a really stupid question... :roll:
but when people refer to mass mailing is that actual snail mail on nice stationary, etc. or is it through email?

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”