Getting out of Patent Litigation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Getting out of Patent Litigation

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:35 am

Patent litigation associate, no tech or bio degree, fairly junior. Given recent trends, I have doubts about my future in patent litigation. Ultimately, I'd like to go in-house. Would prefer to do something like tech transactions. Tech trans > other corporate > general litigation. What would TLS do?

Anonymous User

Re: Getting out of Patent Litigation

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Patent litigation associate, no tech or bio degree, fairly junior. Given recent trends, I have doubts about my future in patent litigation. Ultimately, I'd like to go in-house. Would prefer to do something like tech transactions. Tech trans > other corporate > general litigation. What would TLS do?
Would you feel differently if you had a science background?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Patent litigation associate, no tech or bio degree, fairly junior. Given recent trends, I have doubts about my future in patent litigation. Ultimately, I'd like to go in-house. Would prefer to do something like tech transactions. Tech trans > other corporate > general litigation. What would TLS do?
In house usually need people with tech degree and patent prosecution experience.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
In house usually need people with tech degree and patent prosecution experience.
Also would be a little surprised if you got tech trans without a science degree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:16 am

L’Étranger wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also would be a little surprised if you got tech trans without a science degree.
I've seen more postings that don't require a tech degree than do. I interviewed with a group for a tech trans position where no one in the group had hard IP credentials. I'm inclinded to give you the benefit of the doubt, but my experience doesn't match.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
L’Étranger wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I've seen more postings that don't require a tech degree than do. I interviewed with a group for a tech trans position where no one in the group had hard IP credentials. I'm inclinded to give you the benefit of the doubt, but my experience doesn't match.
My bad. Hadn't seen that. Good luck with that then.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:34 am

Yea I think a non-tech IP lit junior would have a decent shot at tech transactions. You don't seem to have to know much about technology to do it.

Find a headhunter and let them do what they do.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OP. I would, but only to the extent that having a science background meant that I would have a better shot at going in-house and doing IP counseling work.

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP. I would, but only to the extent that having a science background meant that I would have a better shot at going in-house and doing IP counseling work.
Yikes, do you view the future of patent litigation for those with science backgrounds as equally bleak?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:30 pm

skri65 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yikes, do you view the future of patent litigation for those with science backgrounds as equally bleak?
OP. No, my impression is those with EE/CS or advanced life science degrees are fine.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:59 pm

OP, can you share market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:44 pm

sundance95 wrote:OP, can you share market?
SF/SV

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:53 pm

This is how I feel each morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
L’Étranger wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but its very unlikely youll get another job in IP. With the rapidly shrinking job market for even lawyers with tech degrees, those in house/trans jobs are going to be next to impossible to get for someone without a tech degree.
My advice for you is to just sell yourself as a general litigator and expand your job search accordingly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but its very unlikely youll get another job in IP. With the rapidly shrinking job market for even lawyers with tech degrees, those in house/trans jobs are going to be next to impossible to get for someone without a tech degree.
My advice for you is to just sell yourself as a general litigator and expand your job search accordingly.
OP. So your feeling of the situation is that even if general corporate (even if not IP trains) is preferable to general litigation, my best shot of going in-house is to go the general lit route?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but its very unlikely youll get another job in IP. With the rapidly shrinking job market for even lawyers with tech degrees, those in house/trans jobs are going to be next to impossible to get for someone without a tech degree.
OP. So your feeling of the situation is that even if general corporate (even if not IP trains) is preferable to general litigation, my best shot of going in-house is to go the general lit route?
right. almost every company has some ip, so your experience in that can only help, as long as you did other areas of lit. do you have experience doing non-ip lit?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
right. almost every company has some ip, so your experience in that can only help, as long as you did other areas of lit. do you have experience doing non-ip lit?
Unfortunately, not post-Law school. I guess patent lit-->some sort of teams-->in-house is even more unlikely then.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:10 pm

This is anon abuse. It's particularly annoying here because the anonymous poster is full of shit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:48 pm

rpupkin wrote:
This is anon abuse. It's particularly annoying here because the anonymous poster is full of shit.
Not abuse, just telling you what Im seeing at my own firm (rapid increase in departures, slowdown in hiring) and reading about in the news.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Not abuse, just telling you what Im seeing at my own firm (rapid increase in departures, slowdown in hiring) and reading about in the news.
Boutique?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Boutique?
OP. I didn't write the blurb above, but am in biglaw. We have also seen a string of departures, but mostly senior people who were told they were not making partner--they seem to have all landed on their feet though.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:06 am

the idea that you need a science background to do tech industry corporate is ludicrous

the SV firms are pulling 2nd/3rd year laterals out of davis polk/cravath/sullivan with no STEM, just knowledge of deal work. most of those kids were probably philosophy, english or econ majors.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:55 am

related question: exit ops for ip tech transactions > m&a/private equity >>> patent lit > general lit? anyone know?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Yea I think a non-tech IP lit junior would have a decent shot at tech transactions. You don't seem to have to know much about technology to do it.

Find a headhunter and let them do what they do.
I tried for a year and got blanked across the board

not easy to switch into TT from lit

most groups busy and don't have time 2 train juniors

just do life sci lit dood, that's why we have technical advisors in BIGLAW

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”