Anecdotes re Leaving BigLaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anecdotes re Leaving BigLaw

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Junior Associate here. Recently have been receiving a fair number of headhunter solicitations. Curious to hear anecdotes about how people decided that a particular lateral job was the right one or, at least, good enough to jump ship. I'm fairly happy where I am, just kicking the tires a little.

ruski

Re: Anecdotes re Leaving BigLaw

Postby ruski » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:19 pm

I've seen a lot of moves happen rather spontaneously. like if someone just had a really bad month or couple months they just decide thats it. even though if you would have asked them a couple months ago they would say they had no intention of leaving. this may not be wise but sometimes you just want out asap, and when you have pple knocking on your door offering you same pay and less hours its pretty tempting not to just throw in the towel and move to a smaller firm

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:54 am

ruski wrote:I've seen a lot of moves happen rather spontaneously. like if someone just had a really bad month or couple months they just decide thats it. even though if you would have asked them a couple months ago they would say they had no intention of leaving. this may not be wise but sometimes you just want out asap, and when you have pple knocking on your door offering you same pay and less hours its pretty tempting not to just throw in the towel and move to a smaller firm

Supposedly better hours anyway...I don't really believe any of that shit if the firm actually uses a recruiter.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Junior Associate here. Recently have been receiving a fair number of headhunter solicitations. Curious to hear anecdotes about how people decided that a particular lateral job was the right one or, at least, good enough to jump ship. I'm fairly happy where I am, just kicking the tires a little.

I wanted to get out of NYC and move back home. I spoke to some of the recruiters who had been hounding me, but none of them were helpful if you wanted to do anything other than move to another NYC biglaw firm. Instead, I networked. Did lots of informational interviews with friends-of-friends, and applied all over the place. In the end, I got an in-house job that was actually posted on the company website (although I used a personal connection to get my resume past the HR screen). Took about 8 months all-in, but I scored a dream job. Biglaw pay without the hours.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:03 pm

nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Junior Associate here. Recently have been receiving a fair number of headhunter solicitations. Curious to hear anecdotes about how people decided that a particular lateral job was the right one or, at least, good enough to jump ship. I'm fairly happy where I am, just kicking the tires a little.

I wanted to get out of NYC and move back home. I spoke to some of the recruiters who had been hounding me, but none of them were helpful if you wanted to do anything other than move to another NYC biglaw firm. Instead, I networked. Did lots of informational interviews with friends-of-friends, and applied all over the place. In the end, I got an in-house job that was actually posted on the company website (although I used a personal connection to get my resume past the HR screen). Took about 8 months all-in, but I scored a dream job. Biglaw pay without the hours.

How many years in were you?

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 am

BiglawAssociate wrote:
nealric wrote:

How many years in were you?

Started looking as a 3rd year.

Return to “Legal Employment”