Studying Abroad in Summer vs. Attending Off-Campus Job Fairs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Studying Abroad in Summer vs. Attending Off-Campus Job Fairs

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:43 pm

I recently signed up to do a 2-week study abroad class on ADR after my summer associateship. At the time, I thought I was a genius; I had managed to get 3 hrs of class credit in just two weeks, on a relatively important subject no less, all while getting to explore a European city and have a quasi-vacation before the start of 2L OCI. What's more, the class didn't cost much; it was about the same cost of taking the class at my law school. I also thought that getting class credit on top of a summer associateship would make my summer pitch especially strong at OCI.

But then I realized that almost all the off-campus job fairs that my law school is participating in in NYC, DC, California and elsewhere will be taking place in the two-week period that I will be abroad, and now I have strong doubts that going abroad after I'm finished with my summer job is the right choice. Am I right in thinking that it would be a mistake to skip out on the off-campus fairs and go abroad? For the most part, I do want to work in the state of my law school, but I am open to working in DC, New York and California (mostly DC).

I am just about to cancel my end-of-the-summer study abroad plans, but wanted to see if anyone on TLS was of the opinion that the study abroad experience at the end of my 1L summer might be more useful than the off-campus job fairs. Thank you all for your feedback.

cookiejar1

Silver

Re: Studying Abroad in Summer vs. Attending Off-Campus Job Fairs

Post by cookiejar1 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:51 pm

When's the latest you can cancel studying abroad? A lot of the off-campus job fairs are preselect. However, you won't hear back about your interviews until just a few weeks before the fair starts I believe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:05 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:When's the latest you can cancel studying abroad? A lot of the off-campus job fairs are preselect. However, you won't hear back about your interviews until just a few weeks before the fair starts I believe.
Payment is due May 31st, though I am not dropped from the program if I don't pay by then, only assessed a "finance charge" (amount not specified). If I elect to pay by the deadline or shortly thereafter, I can still cancel and be refunded my tuition, but would have to do so in writing at least two weeks before the trip (by July 12th).

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:50 pm

What range of school is this? How are your grades?

The vast majority of OCI type jobs come from the on campus program, the off campus fairs are generally chances for firms to target minorities and specialized resumes (IP).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:05 pm

2014 wrote:What range of school is this? How are your grades?

The vast majority of OCI type jobs come from the on campus program, the off campus fairs are generally chances for firms to target minorities and specialized resumes (IP).
Vandy/UT. Grades are top 33% right now, hoping to move into top 20-25% after this semester. I am a URM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:29 pm

You should absolutely not pass up a chance to get yourself in front of employers at your stage. I mean, if you end up without an offer, and you skip multiple job fairs, you have to wear that.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Vandy/UT. Grades are top 33% right now, hoping to move into top 20-25% after this semester. I am a URM.
Yeah so this is actually your main shot at these markets. Don't go abroad.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:30 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Don't go abroad.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Go to the fairs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 am

Well, I think that settles it. Thanks guys! Maybe I'll be able to do the 2-week trip after 2L summer instead.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”