Patent litigation job market question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kcdc1

Re: Patent litigation job market question

Postby kcdc1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Your firm is dumb as hell for not getting an IPR/CBM practice up and running. The margins are lower than normal work. But clients expect you to do one if the case is suitable.

What do you guys do? Just suggest not doing one or refer the client to someone else?

Every case I'm does an IPR now. It's part of the district court process now.

Are you at a V20? Those firms are slowly just getting out of the game. Or that's what a pumo in the other IP thread says, I don't work at one.

FWIW, my V20 is starting up an IPR/CBM practice, having all of its eligible patent litigators get reg numbers, etc.

Edit: and I'm just sitting here with my social science degree, trying to jump ship.

I didn't realize that biglaw patent practices were not already ramped up on PTAB litigation. The situation is definitely bad luck for litigators without tech degrees who got pulled in during the patent lit boom, but poli sci majors making millions in patent lit was probably never sustainable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:01 pm

kcdc1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Your firm is dumb as hell for not getting an IPR/CBM practice up and running. The margins are lower than normal work. But clients expect you to do one if the case is suitable.

What do you guys do? Just suggest not doing one or refer the client to someone else?

Every case I'm does an IPR now. It's part of the district court process now.

Are you at a V20? Those firms are slowly just getting out of the game. Or that's what a pumo in the other IP thread says, I don't work at one.

FWIW, my V20 is starting up an IPR/CBM practice, having all of its eligible patent litigators get reg numbers, etc.

Edit: and I'm just sitting here with my social science degree, trying to jump ship.

I didn't realize that biglaw patent practices were not already ramped up on PTAB litigation. The situation is definitely bad luck for litigators without tech degrees who got pulled in during the patent lit boom, but poli sci majors making millions in patent lit was probably never sustainable.

Right - I agree that my firm is dumb for not trying to get a PTAB practice up and running. I should also mention I don't have a reg number, nor do most of the IP litigators at my firm (which is another reason - perhaps the real reason - why we don't do PTAB work, at least not in my office.) Unfortunately, I don't even think I'd qualify to sit for the patent bar given the PTO's onerous requirements for CS degrees.

Thanks for all these helpful responses though. I think it might be worth it for me to try getting a reg number, even if it means taking a physics class or something at community college in order to qualify. If PTAB work has a sustainable future, I'm probably ahead to lateral to another firm that does it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Right - I agree that my firm is dumb for not trying to get a PTAB practice up and running. I should also mention I don't have a reg number, nor do most of the IP litigators at my firm (which is another reason - perhaps the real reason - why we don't do PTAB work, at least not in my office.) Unfortunately, I don't even think I'd qualify to sit for the patent bar given the PTO's onerous requirements for CS degrees.

Thanks for all these helpful responses though. I think it might be worth it for me to try getting a reg number, even if it means taking a physics class or something at community college in order to qualify. If PTAB work has a sustainable future, I'm probably ahead to lateral to another firm that does it.

I'm the anon with the social science degree - just curious what you mean by onerous requirements? I thought most ABET-accredited CS programs qualified? I was looking into category B with my degree also, but I think it would take a year or two to complete with a biglaw schedule. I might try to lateral to a different practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm the anon with the social science degree - just curious what you mean by onerous requirements? I thought most ABET-accredited CS programs qualified? I was looking into category B with my degree also, but I think it would take a year or two to complete with a biglaw schedule. I might try to lateral to a different practice.

My undergrad CS degree is from a school that is not ABET accreditted. I have some borderline classes under cat B that may qualify (eg, physics of semiconductors),I'll only find out if and when I apply to register.

I think it would be worth taking a class one or two nights a week if necessary.

Return to “Legal Employment”