OCI with no Work Experience

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BigZuck
Posts: 10875
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:02 am

I would definitely come up with some answers to spin your internship experience. But from all the screeners I did (probably between 40-50 between 1L and 2L year) I got maybe 2 where someone asked behavioral stuff like "Tell me about a difficult situation with a coworker and how you responded." In some of my best interviews, my work experience didn't get brought up at all or it was pretty cursory.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:07 am

BigZuck wrote:I would definitely come up with some answers to spin your internship experience. But from all the screeners I did (probably between 40-50 between 1L and 2L year) I got maybe 2 where someone asked behavioral stuff like "Tell me about a difficult situation with a coworker and how you responded." In some of my best interviews, my work experience didn't get brought up at all or it was pretty cursory.

Yeah, the weird behavioral questions aren't too common.

Also, hearing about measuring plants is probably more interesting to an interviewer than hearing a tenth interviewee talking about their year spent as a paralegal. My OCI interviewers were way more intrigued by my three-month stint as a hotel housekeeper than they were by my year as a paralegal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:15 am

Relevant work experience definitely helps. You probably won't do as well someone with equal numbers who has solid experiences to talk about.

I vastly outdid my "numbers" in great part, I think, because I had a pretty good finance job before law school. It came up in every interview, and I was ready to explain it and then why law school/law firms is a better fit for me.


Of course it's not a barrier, and if you apply broadly and interview well then you'll likely be ok.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14440
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 am

The bigger issue is that you seem dumb or naive.

You didn't spend a year measuring plants. You spent a year conducting biology experiments in a lab.

What are you doing this summer.

kcdc1
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby kcdc1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:45 am

It is fair to assume that most first-year law students did not have stellar undergrad jobs or fancy jobs in that patented year off. Otherwise, why go to law school?

If one was an electrical engineer before law school , then one should not be at OCI.

These statements are flatly false, particularly among candidates that are competitive for biglaw positions. Do not assume that most people attend law school for the same reasons that you did.

That said, focus on your strengths during OCI, and develop a narrative that is favorable to your experience and intended career path. It will only hurt you if you spend time worrying about the qualifications of others.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:04 am

Desert Fox wrote:The bigger issue is that you seem dumb or naive.

You didn't spend a year measuring plants. You spent a year conducting biology experiments in a lab.

What are you doing this summer.


Yeah, hype up what you've done.

I did some construction work in undergrad and occasionally me and another young helper would be sent out to knock out some punch-list shit (putting on registers and grills mostly). I drove the truck and filled out the time sheets. On my OCI resume I "lead crews" and in interviews I said I loved the job because I was given uncommon autonomy for a 19 year old student -- They'd say here's the problem, figure out how to get it done. You should do the same thing. You liked biology experiments because there was a methodical, detailed way to take measurements and every step had to be done exactly right for the experiment to be worthwhile. You loved the precision involved, and knowing that by following the procedure you were doing it right. Even if you hated it, you should be excited about some aspect of every job.

User avatar
BasilHallward
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby BasilHallward » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:14 am

They are not flatly false. They are just not absolute; they are generalities. jesus

Mal Reynolds wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any suggestions on how I would spin my measuring plants internship? :|


Your'e in law school. Dress it up. I totally don't know what your internship consisted of, but speak to the nuances of this quantitative analysis. Then, tell the interviewer to kill himself or herself for referencing the trite plant internship. Seriously though, you'll be fine.


Why are you answering questions as a 0L, especially since your advice is so bad.


The subject is interviewing. These skills that pertain to interviewing are not held under a monopoly by law students; especially those who feel insecure about said interviewing. My advice was tongue in cheek. OP poster will be fine, as I stated. I'm sorry that your addled mind did not catch the farcical undertones. Take a load off.

nick417
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09 am

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby nick417 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:23 am

I am just going to say what everyone is thinking . . . stop worrying! So many things factor into OCI; it is pointless to worry about something you can't fix. It's not like you can reverse time and get work experience again. You knew this going into law school. Therefore, focus on things you can improve on such as grades, contacts, references, interviewing skills, etc.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby Cobretti » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:33 am

BasilHallward wrote:The subject is interviewing. These skills that pertain to interviewing are not held under a monopoly by law students; especially those who feel insecure about said interviewing. My advice was tongue in cheek. OP poster will be fine, as I stated. I'm sorry that your addled mind did not catch the farcical undertones. Take a load off.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22869
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:36 am

BasilHallward wrote:They are not flatly false. They are just not absolute; they are generalities. jesus

Mal Reynolds wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any suggestions on how I would spin my measuring plants internship? :|


Your'e in law school. Dress it up. I totally don't know what your internship consisted of, but speak to the nuances of this quantitative analysis. Then, tell the interviewer to kill himself or herself for referencing the trite plant internship. Seriously though, you'll be fine.


Why are you answering questions as a 0L, especially since your advice is so bad.


The subject is interviewing. These skills that pertain to interviewing are not held under a monopoly by law students; especially those who feel insecure about said interviewing. My advice was tongue in cheek. OP poster will be fine, as I stated. I'm sorry that your addled mind did not catch the farcical undertones. Take a load off.

Except 0Ls are not allowed to comment in this forum.

sumner
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby sumner » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:16 pm

Start filling your resume with law school activities and leadership roles. Also, put something interesting in your interests section that gives them something to chat with you about during the interview.

Also, don't stress. It is what it is at this point, you might strike out and you might not. I was K-JD and I struck out at OCI, but I ended up with a good mid law job for 2L summer and took a full time offer there for post grad.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.