OCI with no Work Experience

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI with no Work Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:30 pm

Am I totally screwed for OCI if I come in with no work experience at all. I have never had job and I am straight from undergrad. I had a completely unrelated natural science internship in undergrad for a year (*read measuring plants*) but that is it.

Top 10-20% grades.

What do you think?

mvp99

Re: OCI with no Work Experience

Postby mvp99 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 pm

top 10-20% where?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:13 pm

mvp99 wrote:top 10-20% where?

T20

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:17 pm

There's nothing you can do about it now, so just focus on getting good grades again and work on your interview skills.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:28 pm

Anyone else experienced OCI with this inexperience?

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:top 10-20% where?

T20

Pretty sure you're in a good position regardless of WE. Plus what the poster above me said.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else experienced OCI with this inexperience?

Tougher, but you'll be just fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:33 pm

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:35 pm

I guess I need to be clued in on what type of work experience is important and why. It is fair to assume that most first-year law students did not have stellar undergrad jobs or fancy jobs in that patented year off. Otherwise, why go to law school? I worked for a major airline in customer service at an international airport during undergrad. If that crap work experience is important, then cool. I just don't see how it is relevant to a Summer Associate position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:36 pm

I went through this at Georgetown with similar grades and a total lack of work experience. It didn't end up hurting me. To the extent that it comes up at all in interviews, you just talk about extracurriculars/internships/whatever else you filled your resume with.

Yes, it does feel kind of stupid when you get a question like "what's the greatest professional challenge you faced" and instead of giving a real answer you spin a story about running a student organization or some group project you had in undergrad or something equally lame. But I didn't find that my results in interviews where I had to do that were worse than the interviews where it didn't come up. (Obviously there's bias in there because it's not a great sign when interviewers are resorting to filler questions like that anyway, but whatever.)

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Prob dosnt hurt but 10-20 doesn't cut it at t20 every time. You might strike out

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else experienced OCI with this inexperience?

I went through OCI with no work experience with top grades from a T1 regional and struck out. I hadn't worked since my freshman year in college and also only did research my 1L summer. I did get a lot of screeners and some callbacks but couldn't seal the deal. I ultimately got something at a smaller firm for this summer but I do think my peers who took time off between law school and worked performed better at OCI. As others have said though, nothing you can do about it now so just work on becoming good at interviews.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:07 am

BasilHallward wrote:I guess I need to be clued in on what type of work experience is important and why. It is fair to assume that most first-year law students did not have stellar undergrad jobs or fancy jobs in that patented year off. Otherwise, why go to law school? I worked for a major airline in customer service at an international airport during undergrad. If that crap work experience is important, then cool. I just don't see how it is relevant to a Summer Associate position.

Work experience, even bad experience, gives you more to talk about in interviews. You can leverage it into a good story about why you want a certain practice area and it probably gives you a little more credibility and perceived maturity. Now this isn't to say that it's determinative, or that people without it don't get jobs, but it's definitely an advantage.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:42 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:I guess I need to be clued in on what type of work experience is important and why. It is fair to assume that most first-year law students did not have stellar undergrad jobs or fancy jobs in that patented year off. Otherwise, why go to law school? I worked for a major airline in customer service at an international airport during undergrad. If that crap work experience is important, then cool. I just don't see how it is relevant to a Summer Associate position.

Work experience, even bad experience, gives you more to talk about in interviews. You can leverage it into a good story about why you want a certain practice area and it probably gives you a little more credibility and perceived maturity. Now this isn't to say that it's determinative, or that people without it don't get jobs, but it's definitely an advantage.

Good point, but bad experience at local hamburger joint can frankly be fabricated.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:51 am

Yeah I guess you could lie in interviews. I'm not sure what your point is.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Yeah I guess you could lie in interviews. I'm not sure what your point is.

That one should improvise in any way possible to land a gig, instead of fretting over work experience. If one was an electrical engineer before law school , then one should not be at OCI. Oversimplification, I know.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:01 am

No work experience will not necessarily hurt you; not knowing how to react to and steer questions to emphasis your strengths will hurt you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:03 am

Any suggestions on how I would spin my measuring plants internship? :|

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:07 am

no one cares; hope you are interesting in some other way though because you need something to talk about for 20 minutes

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any suggestions on how I would spin my measuring plants internship? :|

Your'e in law school. Dress it up. I totally don't know what your internship consisted of, but speak to the nuances of this quantitative analysis. Then, tell the interviewer to kill himself or herself for referencing the trite plant internship. Seriously though, you'll be fine.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:16 am

I don't think you can assume that most first year law students are K-JD or only worked crap jobs during undergrad/one year off, actually. And obviously every year tons of K-JDs without any notable work experience do just fine in OCI, so I agree with everyone who's said that there's no point worrying about it now. But there are plenty of employers who like the idea of not having to train their new associates, not just in law, but in what it's like to have a full time job, period. (And there are other employers who will love having applicants who have no expectations because they have no experience. It just depends.)

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:21 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I don't think you can assume that most first year law students are K-JD or only worked crap jobs during undergrad/one year off, actually. And obviously every year tons of K-JDs without any notable work experience do just fine in OCI, so I agree with everyone who's said that there's no point worrying about it now. But there are plenty of employers who like the idea of not having to train their new associates, not just in law, but in what it's like to have a full time job, period. (And there are other employers who will love having applicants who have no expectations because they have no experience. It just depends.)

It does depend on our varying definitions of the word most, I guess.

catinthewall

Postby catinthewall » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any suggestions on how I would spin my measuring plants internship? :|

Not everyone goes to law school having been a paralegal previously. I showed up at law school after having been a fighter pilot for a couple of years -- I didn't even know that state courts and federal courts were separate things on my first day of law school (I'm currently a federal dist. ct. clerk). So it's not necessarily relevant work experience they're looking for but rather work ethic.

You've proven you have some work ethic already by being in the top 10-20% of your class. I imagine that work ethic was also involved in measuring plants -- you showed up on time, every time; you were meticulous and paid close attention to detail; you were an important part of a team and worked well with others; and so on.

Employers want to know they can stand being around you for 10+ hours a day. Show them that you are a joy to be around. You'll be great! Good luck!

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:53 am

BasilHallward wrote:

Your'e in law school. Dress it up. I totally don't know what your internship consisted of, but speak to the nuances of this quantitative analysis. Then, tell the interviewer to kill himself or herself for referencing the trite plant internship. Seriously though, you'll be fine.

Why are you answering questions as a 0L, especially since your advice is so bad.

FSK

Postby FSK » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:57 am

Desert Fox wrote:Prob dosnt hurt but 10-20 doesn't cut it at t20 every time. You might strike out

This. Its surprisingly easy to strike out from a "good" spots at a T20. Firms aren't clambering to fill a quota that you meet. You just happen to meet their standards, and they'll take you if they like you.

Return to “Legal Employment”