New laptop for work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

New laptop for work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:23 pm

I'm a 3L who is about to graduate and I am in the market for a new laptop. I currently have a late-2011 Macbook Pro (8GB RAM) and it is showing its age. I would prefer to get a new laptop before I take the bar. My current laptop can't handle having a few Internet browsers + Word + PDF open at the same time without lagging and that is not ok.

The firm I will be working at is changing over to all PC laptops soon, but I would rather have my own Apple device at home. For those of you who have laptops at work, do you bring it home every day? Is that a hassle?

Should I get the best Macbook Pro I can afford (for now it's looking like a 13", 16GB RAM, 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 256GB flash storage for $1,850)? My current device is struggling to open multiple large PDFs, and I don't want to have to deal with that while doing work, so I figured I should just get the highest end laptop I can afford and plan on keeping it for 4-5 years. Without turning this into a PC vs. Mac debate, should I just go ahead and buy this?

P.S. I also do some video editing / photo editing in my spare time.

Anonymous User

Re: New laptop for work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Makes sense. My last firm was all PC laptops and I had a macbook pro for personal use. I was generally too lazy to take my work laptop home and would remote in from my macbook pro when need be, which worked just fine.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:28 pm

Something is very wrong if your late 2011 MBP can't handle websurfing. If it can't why would you buy ANOTHER macbook pro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Something is very wrong if your late 2011 MBP can't handle websurfing. If it can't why would you buy ANOTHER macbook pro.

6 windows open on google chrome + 2 microsoft word documents + large pdf = molasses

Isn't that kind of expected from a 4 year old comp?

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Something is very wrong if your late 2011 MBP can't handle websurfing. If it can't why would you buy ANOTHER macbook pro.

6 windows open on google chrome + 2 microsoft word documents + large pdf = molasses

No. Especially not a MBP. The new macbook is barely faster than a 2011 MBP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well, that is alarming . . . What to do.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well, that is alarming . . . What to do.

Maybe reformat. Do you have shitty ram? Can you even add ram to 2011 MBP>

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Maybe reformat. Do you have shitty ram? Can you even add ram to 2011 MBP>

I'm maxed out at 8GB.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:47 pm

solid state brahhhh.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:10 pm

Did you upgrade to Yosemite? Lots of folks have been griping about everything being much, much slower after the upgrade. Think there are ways to fix it though.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:25 pm

I don't know how every firm operates, but the two I've worked at both used web portals for remote access, which means having a brand new PC with a ton of ram won't mean a thing because all of the processing takes place on the server end. If that's how your firm is too, updating your computer won't do shit because you'll be editing documents / opening pdfs on the virtualized machine hosted on your firm's servers, not your MBP. It'd be like spending 2k in a misguided attempt to make gmail search your inbox faster.

Also, if having 6 tabs open in chrome eats 8 GB of ram and taxes your processor, you need to stop watching 6 simultaneous 1080p streams on Youtube. Either that or Chrome has seriously jumped the shark.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:32 pm

get the new macbook pro. keyboard is revolutionary, lighter and thinner than macbook air.

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:00 pm

El Principe wrote:solid state brahhhh.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:12 am

All the remote desktop stuff sucks IME so if you need to do serious work from home, you'll end up bringing your work laptop home.

I would NOT spend $1800 on a personal laptop thinking it's necessary for biglaw. Its not like you'll be editing videos for your firm (unless your job is going to be a lot different from mine).

If you're just looking for an excuse to splurge, then kindly ignore this post because I am all for that.

Return to “Legal Employment”