Is my summer employer being shady?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is my summer employer being shady?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Trying to figure out if I should be worried that I'm going to lose my offer ...

Got offered beginning of the semester. PI job. Have been in semi-regular touch since (every several weeks or so), but I always feel like I'm the one checking to see how things are progressing. Background checks, drug tests, etc etc it's all moving super slowly and I'm just trying to make sure I'm not blowing this out of proportion. I've heard nothing about a start date, what I'll be doing, whether my background check/drug test cleared, or really, any relevant details about this summer. They said a couple of weeks ago that I'll be hearing very soon. Should I be concerned? Is there any reason to think (aside from failing my tests) that I might be getting my offer pulled? I've been relying on this... it would be absurd to lose job this late and have to scramble during finals to find something else.

Other25BeforeYou

Re: Is my summer employer being shady?

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Trying to figure out if I should be worried that I'm going to lose my offer ...

Got offered beginning of the semester. PI job. Have been in semi-regular touch since (every several weeks or so), but I always feel like I'm the one checking to see how things are progressing. Background checks, drug tests, etc etc it's all moving super slowly and I'm just trying to make sure I'm not blowing this out of proportion. I've heard nothing about a start date, what I'll be doing, whether my background check/drug test cleared, or really, any relevant details about this summer. They said a couple of weeks ago that I'll be hearing very soon. Should I be concerned? Is there any reason to think (aside from failing my tests) that I might be getting my offer pulled? I've been relying on this... it would be absurd to lose job this late and have to scramble during finals to find something else.

I wouldn't be worried. Preparing for summer interns is probably the last thing on the to-do list. They know you're coming, you know you're coming, so it should be all good. I would reach out about a start date if I haven't heard anything by the end of April. Presumably you wouldn't start till the end of May or beginning of June anyway.

Return to “Legal Employment”