Employment before Bar Admission if passed bar exam?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesteelers

Employment before Bar Admission if passed bar exam?

Postby thesteelers » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:36 pm

2014 grad here. I took the NY bar in February and am waiting on results, but my employers and moral character references have really lagged behind with sending back my forms - not that I can blame them, they're all busy people and spread thousands of miles apart. But now I'm envisioning a scenario where I will hopefully pass the bar, but not get my application through the character & fitness bottleneck in time to get sworn in by June. Every has told me that the turnaround from your completed application to being sworn in is like 2 months at minimum. :( And right now I am still waiting on two employers from my college years to send back the forms.

Two law firms have told me to get in touch with them if they pass the bar because they like me - is it typical to get hired before being sworn in (when you're not a returning summer)?

Jchance

Re: Employment before Bar Admission if passed bar exam?

Postby Jchance » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:40 pm

thesteelers wrote:2014 grad here. I took the NY bar in February and am waiting on results, but my employers and moral character references have really lagged behind with sending back my forms - not that I can blame them, they're all busy people and spread thousands of miles apart. But now I'm envisioning a scenario where I will hopefully pass the bar, but not get my application through the character & fitness bottleneck in time to get sworn in by June. Every has told me that the turnaround from your completed application to being sworn in is like 2 months at minimum. :( And right now I am still waiting on two employers from my college years to send back the forms.

Two law firms have told me to get in touch with them if they pass the bar because they like me - is it typical to get hired before being sworn in (when you're not a returning summer)?

How did they frame it: "passing the bar" or "being admitted to the bar"? Because you'd have no problem if it's the former.

Return to “Legal Employment”