NY First Department- Toughest C&F? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NY First Department- Toughest C&F?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:08 pm

So I've heard that the 1st Dept in NY, where I live, is the toughest with C&F. Not that I have anything to hide, but I don't want more anxiety than i need to have for this whole process. Is the stereotype true? Any 1st Dept stories?

Cogburn87

Bronze

Re: NY First Department- Toughest C&F?

Post by Cogburn87 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I've heard that the 1st Dept in NY, where I live, is the toughest with C&F. Not that I have anything to hide, but I don't want more anxiety than i need to have for this whole process. Is the stereotype true? Any 1st Dept stories?
Making this thread seems counterproductive in that regard.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:22 pm

clueless law student here but I heard that yes its usually the toughest and strict in everything

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:33 pm

what exactly does that mean though? how are they different than say, the 2nd department?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:38 pm

C&F isn't "tough" at all. Its not an interrogation and its not meant to be stressful and difficult. Yes, if you have something on your record that justifies discussion, then it will be discussed. But if your record is clean, its going to just be a nice chat. Hell, my C&F interview was a fun chat session, and more of a networking thing, where I got to hear some cool stories about my interviewer's background, shared some of my own law school experiences, etc. Couldn't have been more chill, since my record had literally nothing that warranted discussion.

owlofminerva

New

Post by owlofminerva » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:27 am

It's not that the actual interview itself is tough in the 1st Dep't. My interview lasted all of about 20 seconds and really just asked about how I was doing and my career goals with some retired lawyer, then you sign the book, and you are good to go. In general, if you've gotten to the interview, you have nothing to worry about and it is just a formality.

What does make the 1st Dep't tough, however, is their strictness on all of the "logistical" details outside of the actual interview. The woman who runs the C&F process is an absolute nightmare to deal with. In general, you have to make sure you follow every instruction on the notices you receive with little room for flexibility. For example, every woman who showed up without a blazer jacket on for their interview was kicked out and forced to wait for another interview date unless they were able to find another girl finishing up their interview that would allow her to borrow her blazer and stick around. It was crazy. Same thing for any men not in a suit. She is also a stickler on tardiness. Don't even think about showing up late to the ethics CLE class or your interview or you stand a chance of being pushed to another date. It is this part of it that I think gives the 1st Dep't its reputation as a tough spot. That said, if you are capable of reading the instructions you receive and following them, you have nothing to worry about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”