Difference between a BigLaw 1L SA and 2L SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Difference between a BigLaw 1L SA and 2L SA

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:38 pm

Are both treated the same? Do both receive the same kind of work? Is a 1L SA expected to perform at the same level as a 2L SA? Do you have to screw up pretty bad to not get invited as a 2L SA? Just wondering. Would appreciate some feedback!

juzam_djinn

Re: Difference between a BigLaw 1L SA and 2L SA

Postby juzam_djinn » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm guessing it might vary slightly by firm, but generally speaking you should get the same type of work as the 2L SAs at the firm and you are expected to perform at the same level (which is not a very high bar; take your time and do a good job researching, make sure your memos are coherent, and proofread the crap out of them)

If you're at a near 100% firm, you do have to screw up pretty badly to not get invited (i.e. Don't turn in an assignment, have a huge social gaffe or a series of minor ones). However, it depends what type of 1L SA you got. I know some firms that do diversity 1L SAs are unlikely to invite the SA back as a 2L for some reason.

jimmywho

Postby jimmywho » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:37 pm

I'm returning to the firm I did a 1L SA with. They specifically told me last summer that they were judging my work the same as they would for a 2L SA. I agree with the poster above that for non-diversity 1L SA, you'd have to screw up really bad, probably beyond just poor work product.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:50 pm

In my experience, the projects I did as a 2L were noticeably more advanced than my 1L ones. I still think they're evaluating you as they would a 2L on those projects but I agree with the above posters that you probably have more leeway if they were confident enough to bring you in as a 1L.

Return to “Legal Employment”