Career in Legal Recruiting

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Career in Legal Recruiting

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:08 am

After about 2 years, I hate biglaw with a passion, and am stuck on what seems like a dead end (since I was shut out of the only practice area I ever really cared to do). So waiting it out another year or 2 and shooting for in-house is not an options since I have no intention of continuing on this path. I've always seen myself transitioning into recruiting at some point down the road, since its something I've always loved, at least as far as volunteer work (i.e. for my undergrad, my law school, my firm, etc.) Its something I always had a knack for. Is this a viable alternate career path for someone who wants to at least still utilize one's JD to his/her advantage, even if not in practice? Anyone know people who went this route, whether recruiting for a firm, working admissions in a law school, legal headhunter, etc.?

sparty99

Re: Career in Legal Recruiting

Postby sparty99 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:After about 2 years, I hate biglaw with a passion, and am stuck on what seems like a dead end (since I was shut out of the only practice area I ever really cared to do). So waiting it out another year or 2 and shooting for in-house is not an options since I have no intention of continuing on this path. I've always seen myself transitioning into recruiting at some point down the road, since its something I've always loved, at least as far as volunteer work (i.e. for my undergrad, my law school, my firm, etc.) Its something I always had a knack for. Is this a viable alternate career path for someone who wants to at least still utilize one's JD to his/her advantage, even if not in practice? Anyone know people who went this route, whether recruiting for a firm, working admissions in a law school, legal headhunter, etc.?

yes....i know people who did all that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:36 am

^^^

Nice. Any observations on how they like it, whether its a transition they are happy with/regret, how long they practiced before making this flip, etc.?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:01 pm

Anyone with input on this?

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone with input on this?

I can't imagine anything more soul sucking than having to make recruiter cold calls. Working at a firm in recruiting is probably a much better option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:49 pm

nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone with input on this?

I can't imagine anything more soul sucking than having to make recruiter cold calls. Working at a firm in recruiting is probably a much better option.

Oh much better, I'd think. I'm not really the entrepreneurial type that wants an eat-what-you-kill job, nor have I worked in the legal field long enough to have serious credibility as a headhunter. Finally, I really love working with students, which is why firm recruiting is so much more attractive to me.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^^

Nice. Any observations on how they like it, whether its a transition they are happy with/regret, how long they practiced before making this flip, etc.?

It all depends. I've seen people go into admissions office after one or two years. Others go into head-hunter after five years. Whether you are happy will depend on you, I guess. Essentially, headhunter is a sales jobs. It can be very lucrative if you are successful. Additionally, firms are different. On one hand, you might interface with both the client and canddidate. And cold calling client's to get business will be critical. Some firms, all you do is look for candidates. You would probably do better in those type of firms.

Certainly, legal recruiting (at the firm) can open doors to other professional services firms (big 4, consulting, etc). I don't think you need lots of legal experience to be successful in any of these positions. You have the big firm experience. That should be good enough to get you into the door.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:38 pm

^^^

I figured my JD would be a big advantage in these kinds of recruiting positions, since I can speak to the experience of being a student/lawyer in practice. I actually have some decent experience in admissions/recruiting work (used to volunteer for undergrad admissions office, currently attend admitted/prospective student events, visit pre-law groups to do panel/Q&A events, was firm summer associate rep at OCI, do callback interviews, ran my own LSAT tutoring/admissions consulting service, etc.). I've done some good networking on the law school admissions end, but unsure how to discreetly network on the law firm recruiting end.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:05 pm

I have some leads on a position with an e-discovery provider that hires and staffs contract attorneys on projects at the real big firms. The position would be as a recruiter looking for and hiring the best candidates, and placing them into the right projects. It may not be firm recruiting, but maybe this is a way to get my foot in the door of the recruiting world? Seems like the skills would be very applicable were I to try and parlay that into a recruiting role with an actual firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:24 pm

Bumping this, as I'm also a biglaw associate looking to move into law firm recruiting or law school admissions (like OP, I'm not interested in becoming a headhunter). Does anyone know how people get leads on these positions, other than lucking into one at their current firm? I've seen discussion of which skill set is needed, but haven't found not much information on how people actually find these types of positions to apply to them in the first place.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this, as I'm also a biglaw associate looking to move into law firm recruiting or law school admissions (like OP, I'm not interested in becoming a headhunter). Does anyone know how people get leads on these positions, other than lucking into one at their current firm? I've seen discussion of which skill set is needed, but haven't found not much information on how people actually find these types of positions to apply to them in the first place.

Spoke with a few people on this, and got some good info. For firm recruiting, its important that you be very active in the recruiting process, such that you have shown the firm that you are made for that kind of role. For example, serving as a coordinator for a summer program, helping organize summer activities, serving as a mentor to incoming summers, helping with OCI and interviewing, etc. Also, emphasize whatever recruiting experience you may have outside the firm context (ex. helping your law school with recruiting efforts, organizing some program or orientation for X or Y group, etc.)

As for where you can actually find these kinds of job postings, the NALP site has a job listing board which includes jobs in firm recruiting. Much easier than going to career pages for the various big firms one by one.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this, as I'm also a biglaw associate looking to move into law firm recruiting or law school admissions (like OP, I'm not interested in becoming a headhunter). Does anyone know how people get leads on these positions, other than lucking into one at their current firm? I've seen discussion of which skill set is needed, but haven't found not much information on how people actually find these types of positions to apply to them in the first place.

Spoke with a few people on this, and got some good info. For firm recruiting, its important that you be very active in the recruiting process, such that you have shown the firm that you are made for that kind of role. For example, serving as a coordinator for a summer program, helping organize summer activities, serving as a mentor to incoming summers, helping with OCI and interviewing, etc. Also, emphasize whatever recruiting experience you may have outside the firm context (ex. helping your law school with recruiting efforts, organizing some program or orientation for X or Y group, etc.)

As for where you can actually find these kinds of job postings, the NALP site has a job listing board which includes jobs in firm recruiting. Much easier than going to career pages for the various big firms one by one.

These positions are a dime a dozen. Usually its a female position. Its not like these are hard to find.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:40 pm

sparty99 wrote:These positions are a dime a dozen. Usually its a female position. Its not like these are hard to find.

What on earth does that even mean?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
sparty99 wrote:These positions are a dime a dozen. Usually its a female position. Its not like these are hard to find.

The legal recruiters are always females...Actually, in general. Recruiters at law firms, corporations, and consulting are female. It's really annoying, actually.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:06 pm

sparty99 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

The legal recruiters are always females...Actually, in general. Recruiters at law firms, corporations, and consulting are female. It's really annoying, actually.

Keep digging, sparty, you might make it to China at this rate.

Return to “Legal Employment”