Missing weekend social event during SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Missing weekend social event during SA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm supposed to go to a family event the same weekend my summer firm is doing a firm-wide retreat. Firm says it's not mandatory, but I worry I'll make a bad impression if I don't go. At the same time, some family members will be hurt if I don't go to the family event. Can anyone offer some general advice? My inclination is to go to the family event, but I really don't want to hurt my chances of getting an offer. Thanks.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Re: Missing weekend social event during SA

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm supposed to go to a family event the same weekend my summer firm is doing a firm-wide retreat. Firm says it's not mandatory, but I worry I'll make a bad impression if I don't go. At the same time, some family members will be hurt if I don't go to the family event. Can anyone offer some general advice? My inclination is to go to the family event, but I really don't want to hurt my chances of getting an offer. Thanks.

Can't you just explain it to your family so they aren't hurt?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm supposed to go to a family event the same weekend my summer firm is doing a firm-wide retreat. Firm says it's not mandatory, but I worry I'll make a bad impression if I don't go. At the same time, some family members will be hurt if I don't go to the family event. Can anyone offer some general advice? My inclination is to go to the family event, but I really don't want to hurt my chances of getting an offer. Thanks.

Can't you just explain it to your family so they aren't hurt?

I could try, but I doubt it would work.

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Family will take you back if you miss it . It's not a great look if you're the only one not there

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Actus Reus wrote:Family will take you back if you miss it . It's not a great look if you're the only one not there

This is probably the credited response. Silly as they may seem, those summer social events matter.

KM2016

Postby KM2016 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:Family will take you back if you miss it . It's not a great look if you're the only one not there

This is probably the credited response. Silly as they may seem, those summer social events matter.

TCR. I wouldn't miss a scheduled SA event, especially a weekend retreat where the firm is spending a considerable amount of time and money on the summer associates. People will notice you're not there, and needless to say that's not a good thing. Missing the impromptu happy hours is fine if you have prior commitments, but I wouldn't miss this retreat.

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Can't you just explain it to your family so they aren't hurt?

Biglaw summarized in one sentence.

reversingentropy

Postby reversingentropy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Not a big deal if you miss the event. Though if it becomes a trend (i.e. you miss 2-3 of the scheduled events) people will notice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:59 pm

I would go to the event. Two firms I summered at had firmwide events and it would have been really weird for someone to not go. I think the entire summer class went in both cases, including people who weren't working for the firm at the time of the retreat.

The whole summer is an interview. This is one thing you can do to ensure that you get a job at a really pivotal moment in your life. Do something with your family any other weekend.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Go to the firm event. You might be fine not going but why even risk it? Your SA is precisely the opportunity you'll have spent 3 years of your life and hundreds of thousands of dollars for. Don't blow it.

If your family loves you, which I hope they do, they'll understand. By all means, help them to understand. They might be disappointed at first, but blood is thicker than water, etc.

Besides, I'm sure none of them is about to offer you a $160k starting salary straight out of law school. Just ask them, "how would you feel if you contributed to me losing my job offer, just for some family gathering?"

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:15 pm

You need to stick with your new family--especially if you have student loan debt.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You need to stick with your new family--especially if you have student loan debt.

CR. You need to kiss your old family goodbye at some point - Biglaw is a jealous mistress and does not take kindly to interlopers. If your family doesn't understand, it's not like you'll be seeing them again anyway.

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:20 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:

Go to the firm event. You might be fine not going but why even risk it? Your SA is precisely the opportunity you'll have spent 3 years of your life and hundreds of thousands of dollars for. Don't blow it.

If your family loves you, which I hope they do, they'll understand. By all means, help them to understand. They might be disappointed at first, but blood is thicker than water, etc.

Besides, I'm sure none of them is about to offer you a $160k starting salary straight out of law school. Just ask them, "how would you feel if you contributed to me losing my job offer, just for some family gathering?"

Use these exact words. You have to stop letting them hold you back, OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:15 pm

What about if firm-wide retreat conflicts with OCI? (1L SA). obviously I have to suck it up and miss the retreat right?

ETA: I'm not OP

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:21 pm

Cogburn87 wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Can't you just explain it to your family so they aren't hurt?

Biglaw summarized in one sentence.

lol

chicagoriver

Postby chicagoriver » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 pm

I am surprised nobody discuss the dress code for such summer events. :mrgreen:

skers

Postby skers » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:32 pm

You can miss a single event, jfc. It't NBD. It'll probably be more fun than doing shit w/ the family though, so your loss.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:33 pm

skers wrote:You can miss a single event, jfc. It't NBD. It'll probably be more fun than doing shit w/ the family though, so your loss.

not a firm retreat though

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:00 am

El Pollito wrote:not a firm retreat though

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about if firm-wide retreat conflicts with OCI? (1L SA). obviously I have to suck it up and miss the retreat right?

ETA: I'm not OP

You'd absolutely screw it up by even mentioning OCI

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:43 am

If it's a funeral they'll probably understand, tho that'd be strange to plan

There's a shot at a wedding of a sibling. Extended family wedding seems needy

If it's a family reunion I'd think you're a moron to miss an unpaid internship for it, they're doing you a favor

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:44 am

Are the family members your young children?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:25 am

You absolutely cannot miss a weekend retreat for a personal event unless it's a funeral or your own wedding. Later in your career there will be more latitude, but as a summer, the firm is spending a lot of money on the stupid task of recruiting you, and consequently it is seen as churlish to miss this stuff without very good reason.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:02 am

As we've established elsewhere on TLS, even your own wedding is suspect. Your funeral is maybe OK. MAYBE.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:58 am

I am not sure if everyone is trolling or not but missing a summer event is not going to cost your job in the short term. Everything has its consequences, but it is not that dire if everything is otherwise fine.

I mean, also, that's why TCR is to choose 100% offer firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”