Summer Associate position - drug testing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AreJay711

Re: Summer Associate position - drug testing?

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A risk is a risk. I'd say the risk of using illegal drugs is non-trivial, but to each her own.

I work at one of the firms so I won't be disclosing the name.

You're anonymous, so it's not like we'd know. Does your firm want a bunch of hippy fucks smoking weed and dropping acid to apply there by accident?

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I know of at least two that do. It's not just about whether firms drug test. If you smoke weed you are presumably buying it or growing it. There is risk in both of those activities. If you're stupid enough you might drive while high, get in an accident or get pulled over by a suspicious cop.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -arrested/

OP is prob getting medical marijuana and I'm guessing not stupid enough to end up in any of these disaster scenarios you're pulling out of your ass while abusing the anon feature.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A risk is a risk. I'd say the risk of using illegal drugs is non-trivial, but to each her own.

hot damn you people are all paranoid

reversingentropy

Postby reversingentropy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:27 pm

Kronk wrote:

hot damn you people are all paranoid

This is a forum for lawyers - universally known as some of the most risk-averse people in the world.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:47 pm

reversingentropy wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP would not have made this post if he/she didn't think there was some risk. Smoking weed is still illegal in most jurisdictions and even if legal, it carries a negative stigma with employers. The risk of getting caught may be low, but why chance it unless it is really important to your life?

because firms don't drug test

I know of at least two that do. It's not just about whether firms drug test. If you smoke weed you are presumably buying it or growing it. There is risk in both of those activities. If you're stupid enough you might drive while high, get in an accident or get pulled over by a suspicious cop.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -arrested/

marijuana doesn't show up on a breathalyzer, fyi.

also, wtf - who said you have to buy weed from a dealer or grow it to smoke it. you've clearly never been offered weed.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:49 pm

also did you seriously register an alt and post anon for that?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:51 pm

El Pollito wrote:also did you seriously register an alt and post anon for that?

When illegal drugs are involved, you can never be too careful.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Phase 1 - Some OP creates thread asking if X job drug tests
Phase 2 - Numerous posters assure OP that, outside of DOJ/security clearances, almost no one drug tests
Phase 3 - Some goober climbs out from under his rock and guilts OP for "risky drug use that is never worth it"
Phase 4 - Posters remind goober that it is 2015, not the 1950s, and that his bosses probably smoke weed
Phase 5 - Goober digs in heels and further reveals why he'll never make partner
Phase 6 - logical pushback
Phase 7 - Goober goobers more...
....back and forth, ad infinitum

Repeat with new thread.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:22 am

geez guys get a load of reefer madness over here

Aureusmons

Postby Aureusmons » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:15 pm

Don't listen to all these flames, OP. Your firm very likely tests SAs and associates. Mine does. About 50-60% of V100 firms do. Why risk it?

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't listen to all these flames, OP. Your firm very likely tests SAs and associates. Mine does. About 50-60% of V100 firms do. Why risk it?

/s?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:34 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't listen to all these flames, OP. Your firm very likely tests SAs and associates. Mine does. About 50-60% of V100 firms do. Why risk it?

/s?

Of course he or she is not serious. Anon troll should be outed and banned.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:46 pm

rpupkin wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

/s?

Of course he or she is not serious. Anon troll should be outed and banned.

agreed. this is a pretty heinous troll considering the accuracy of the information (and complete inaccuracy of this information) could actually impact people's lives. absurd abuse

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:57 pm

Here's some anecdotal advice for any fellow TLS brethren this might effect in the future. Be careful if your summering in-house at a Fortune 500ish company, you may be provided with notice of a drug test shortly before the summer starts (HR at these places are big/slow & may not warn you beforehand). If this worries you, the best move would be to call HR yourself and ask if there are any additional steps you need to complete before your start-date (a white lie about a vacation/wedding the week before should suffice). This happened to me and caused unnecessary levels of stress during finals.

As others have stated big firms generally don't test, but you might want to hedge your bets and at least refrain from partaking multiple times a week for the next month or so. That will make it much easier to get out of your system in a hurry if necessary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Here's some anecdotal advice for any fellow TLS brethren this might effect in the future. Be careful if your summering in-house at a Fortune 500ish company, you may be provided with notice of a drug test shortly before the summer starts (HR at these places are big/slow & may not warn you beforehand). If this worries you, the best move would be to call HR yourself and ask if there are any additional steps you need to complete before your start-date (a white lie about a vacation/wedding the week before should suffice). This happened to me and caused unnecessary levels of stress during finals.

As others have stated big firms generally don't test, but you might want to hedge your bets and at least refrain from partaking multiple times a week for the next month or so. That will make it much easier to get out of your system in a hurry if necessary.

Take this advice with a grain of salt. its fine to make generalizations, but firms don't publish their drug testing policies, so unless you ask the recruiter (dont do that, obvs) then you really are rolling the dice. And not just with this job, but your whole career.

And if you cant stop smoking for three-four months, then you are an addict and are unfit to be a lawyer until you get clean.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Take this advice with a grain of salt. its fine to make generalizations, but firms don't publish their drug testing policies, so unless you ask the recruiter (dont do that, obvs) then you really are rolling the dice. And not just with this job, but your whole career.

And if you cant stop smoking for three-four months, then you are an addict and are unfit to be a lawyer until you get clean.

Do you know of any--ONE--instance of someone not being hired in 2015 due to marijuana usage, or are you the kid whose parents told they had a friend who took three pots and died?

Because based on your idea that the "addicts" are "unfit" until they get "clean," I'm inclined to believe the latter.

TTTooKewl

Postby TTTooKewl » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:57 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Take this advice with a grain of salt. its fine to make generalizations, but firms don't publish their drug testing policies, so unless you ask the recruiter (dont do that, obvs) then you really are rolling the dice. And not just with this job, but your whole career.

Do you know of any--ONE--instance of someone not being hired in 2015 due to marijuana usage, or are you the kid whose parents told they had a friend who took three pots and died?

Because based on your idea that the "addicts" are "unfit" until they get "clean," I'm inclined to believe the latter.

I know of a summer associate who had one pot during his SA, then turned around and started defrauding the firm and its clients. And this person was totally trustworthy before become a user. Nixon was right -- can't trust these addicts.

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 am

TTTooKewl wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

I know of a summer associate who had one pot during his SA, then turned around and started defrauding the firm and its clients. And this person was totally trustworthy before become a user. Nixon was right -- can't trust these addicts.

Outed as a boomer.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:19 am

If firms drug tested they would need to fire like 75% of all their attorneys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here's some anecdotal advice for any fellow TLS brethren this might effect in the future. Be careful if your summering in-house at a Fortune 500ish company, you may be provided with notice of a drug test shortly before the summer starts (HR at these places are big/slow & may not warn you beforehand). If this worries you, the best move would be to call HR yourself and ask if there are any additional steps you need to complete before your start-date (a white lie about a vacation/wedding the week before should suffice). This happened to me and caused unnecessary levels of stress during finals.

Take this advice with a grain of salt. its fine to make generalizations, but firms don't publish their drug testing policies, so unless you ask the recruiter (dont do that, obvs) then you really are rolling the dice. And not just with this job, but your whole career.

It's my understanding that publishing is unnecessary because there is not a single LEGIT source anywhere stating their firm drug tests SA's or upon employment.

Plus the addict argument is baseless also. No one is saying they can't quit for a few months, they are asking if they need to. That's the point of the question. If they drug test, I will stop, if they don't then maybe I will anyways because I feel like it, but I don't really need to.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Icculus wrote:If firms drug tested they would need to fire like 75% of all their attorneys.

inorite

just do drink those GNC detox drinks and suit up in trashbags and run on treadmill till u die

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:24 pm

Anyone know if the SEC does?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:32 am

OP here. Although I figured that this post would get off topic, I am glad I asked. Thank you everyone for the advice. For the sake of being safe, I'm just going to cut it off. No, I'm not "addicted" to 'pots,' I had a college sports injury that has resulted in considerable pain. This summer is way more important than what this post was about. I appreciate everyone's advice, even if it was troll-like/inflammatory.

In addition, another problem arose regarding my use this summer, as I am going to be living with one of the other clerks this summer to save money.... So, I imagine that individual has zero reason NOT to tell my firm that I partake (dog eat dog world). But hey, I wouldn't blame him.

Thus, looks like I'll do what the rest of the corporate legal big-wigs in training do... drink copious amounts of alcohol this summer.

Cheers,

OP

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
In addition, another problem arose regarding my use this summer, as I am going to be living with one of the other clerks this summer to save money.... So, I imagine that individual has zero reason NOT to tell my firm that I partake (dog eat dog world). But hey, I wouldn't blame him.

Thus, looks like I'll do what the rest of the corporate legal big-wigs in training do... drink copious amounts of alcohol this summer.

Cheers,

OP

Cool. You do what you're comfortable with.

But no one likes a snitch bitch, so I wouldn't worry about the other clerk. Just play any random Scarface song when yall are moving in and lock eyes. He'll get it.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:34 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Federal chambers don't test (unless maybe you had to get a clearance for nationally sensitive cases, but term clerks don't usually), DOJ does.

I don't think anything about MJ being legal in DC makes DOJ have to hire people who use, sorry.

When I had an unpaid internship in a civil division of DOJ, they made us get a drug test and sign a piece of paper that said something about how even in states like California, marijuana is still illegal on the federal level, and I will not smoke it during my internship.

Return to “Legal Employment”