Renege on full time offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Renege on full time offer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:02 am

I accepted an offer to return as an associate at my 3L biglaw firm, but for a variety of reasons between the time of my acceptance and now I want to GTFO. However, a job is better than no job.

Are there repercussions to applying to other firms while still holding on to the firm offer? They're not in the same market or even in the same state.

I'm sure I'll get mixed responses, but I didn't know if the firms I apply to would contact my old firm without running it by me first.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BarbellDreams

Re: Apply after full-time offer

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:12 am

If the firm's circumstances changed, they would drop you in a second. You need to look out for yourself.

With that said, obviously if your firm finds out you will likely get axed.

Anonymous User

Re: Renege on full time offer

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:22 am

Basically the risk is to great to chance?

I thought another firm might inform me before they contacted my summer firm, but I guess they'll do whatever they want.

Frayed Knot

Re: Apply after full-time offer

Postby Frayed Knot » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:08 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:If the firm's circumstances changed, they would drop you in a second. You need to look out for yourself.

With that said, obviously if your firm finds out you will likely get axed.
I might be wrong, but I didn't generally think "getting axed" was a real risk for looking around—my understanding is that lots of people shop around during clerkships without keeping it a secret. I'm sure it wouldn't win you points with people at your firm but I've not heard of it leading to withdrawals of offers.

That said, I'd love to hear it if others know of cases where jobs have actually been withdrawn.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Basically the risk is to great to chance?

I thought another firm might inform me before they contacted my summer firm, but I guess they'll do whatever they want.

Some will call, I suspect NY firms that know the game won't call, but the issue is I'm almost certain they wouldn't tell you either way. That being said, it would be strange (IMO) if your current firm called you, said hey we heard you were looking around for another job, and then told you that you could no longer work there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a similar concern. There may be the possibility of a biglaw offer, and would have to renege on an opportunity that is outside of the legal industry. Is there a realistic chance of losing both opportunities? Are there any ethical concerns for the bar or anything? (This is in a major market)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:41 pm

People do this all the time. Obviously don't tell your firm until you have another offer in hand that you are reneging. They will be professional; it doesn't serve them to act otherwise or to burn a bridge with you, especially if you are changing markets entirely. I know at least 5 people who have done this and their firms were all courteous and understanding. Your OCP office will tell you absolutely not to do this. But who cares about them.

Return to “Legal Employment”