I teared up at work today; I'm not in BigLaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I teared up at work today; I'm not in BigLaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm clerking. It was a habeas petition in a death penalty case. Has this happened to anyone else?

CanadianWolf

Re: I teared up at work today; I'm not in BigLaw

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 pm

You can make a difference. I've spoken with lots of inmates, but never one on death row. The best legal writer I know just does death penalty appeals. Was this habeaus petition written by the inmate ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 pm

I've teared up during sentencing hearings.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:51 pm

I teared up watching Interstellar.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:52 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You can make a difference. I've spoken with lots of inmates, but never one on death row. The best legal writer I know just does death penalty appeals.

But presumably OP is writing an opinion that says DING!F**

Postby 071816 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:53 pm

I once teared up while eating Thai food at work.

Danimals18

Postby Danimals18 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:55 pm

Last edited by Danimals18 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:57 pm

chimp wrote:I once teared up while eating Thai food at work.

wiz

Postby wiz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What's the point of your posting that? How is that helpful to the OP, or anyone, really?

It's a warning to others as they ponder what to order on Seamless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:03 pm

OP here

CanadianWolf wrote:Was this habeas petition written by the inmate ?

No.

What's the point of your posting that? How is that helpful to the OP, or anyone, really?

Thank you.

Desert Fox wrote:But presumably OP is writing an opinion that says DING!F**

:cry:

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

In fairness to chimp, the OP put the ironic/humorous "I'm not in BigLaw" phrase in the thread title. A little levity is consistent with the OP's tone.

Also, chimp's post was funny.

ETA: Wiz's follow-up was also good. The quality ITT is on the rise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:06 pm

OP here. Levity is fine. I chuckled at the Interstellar and Thai food remarks. Joking can be a coping mechanism with the gravity of what many of us do.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Hey if that guy didn't want to be executed, he shouldn't have been a minority in America.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Hey if that guy didn't want to be executed, he shouldn't have been a minority in America.

DF may seem stone cold. However, when judge in Delaware refuses to adopt DF's half-assed claim construction of "complex diode," the tears flow freely.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:13 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Hey if that guy didn't want to be executed, he shouldn't have been a minority in America.

DF may seem stone cold. However, when judge in Delaware refuses to adopt DF's half-assed claim construction of "complex diode," the tears flow freely.

It's like Judge Stark didn't even read my paragraph about the file histories!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

OP here. Hah! I recently observed my first Markman hearing in our court, and I was blown away by the number of attorneys who turned out. If only people made the same stink about the state being in the business of killing people...

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

OP here. Hah! I recently observed my first Markman hearing in our court, and I was blown away by the number of attorneys who turned out. If only people made the same stink about the state being in the business of killing people...

400 dollars an hour is a lot of time makign license plates.

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Your post is even more pointless. Brave use of anon though.
(I know my post is even more pointless than yours)

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:04 am

J9ofDiamonds wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Your post is even more pointless. Brave use of anon though.
(I know my post is even more pointless than yours)

Yeah, but at least it's not anon. If I were a mod, I would go on anon-outing rampages. Also, I would be more tolerant of DeRascal. Also, I would lock all CLS v. NYU threads after a maximum of three posts. I really should get my application together.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:18 am

can we get this back to the actual emotional moments of doing crim work. It seems emotionally brutal.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:20 am

Yeah emotional law is not for me. Working in a domestic violence place or watching people get sentenced to death is pretty harsh.

Displeased

Postby Displeased » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:18 am

Jessuf wrote:I've teared up during sentencing hearings.

This, though I never tear up during major sentencings. I tend to get the most upset by people who are getting 2-5 years for relatively minor things (larcenies, probation violations, forgeries, etc). If my client is expected to get 10+ years or more, they normally have extensive criminal histories and a history of violent behavior, so its tougher to be empathetic.

High IQ clients also sometimes get tears from me. The dumb ones, even the mentally disabled, are a dime a dozen in the criminal justice system, so its hard for them to get special sympathy from me. I know this is probably ugly of me to admit, but I tend to get more upset at the idea of a college graduate spending 2-5 years in prison for a crime than I do at the idea of a mentally disabled person spending equal or more time. I think its just because the high IQ clients tend to be more likable, you joke around with them more in lockup and during court, so they seem more human.

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:10 am

Displeased wrote:

This, though I never tear up during major sentencings. I tend to get the most upset by people who are getting 2-5 years for relatively minor things (larcenies, probation violations, forgeries, etc). If my client is expected to get 10+ years or more, they normally have extensive criminal histories and a history of violent behavior, so its tougher to be empathetic.

High IQ clients also sometimes get tears from me. The dumb ones, even the mentally disabled, are a dime a dozen in the criminal justice system, so its hard for them to get special sympathy from me. I know this is probably ugly of me to admit, but I tend to get more upset at the idea of a college graduate spending 2-5 years in prison for a crime than I do at the idea of a mentally disabled person spending equal or more time. I think its just because the high IQ clients tend to be more likable, you joke around with them more in lockup and during court, so they seem more human.

jesus fucking lol

seizmaar

Postby seizmaar » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:43 am

we had a lady on the stand for a diversity wrongful death case. she had to describe her relationship with her murdered son while the attorney put pictures of them up on the overheard. she was massively balling and i had to put my head behind the computer to hide my tears.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:56 am

Cogburn87 wrote:
Displeased wrote:

jesus fucking lol

I mean, that wasn't maybe the best way to word it, but I get being more upset if the client is someone you can identify with and like on a personal level, and we tend to like people who are more like ourselves, so I can see how that would happen.

I am on the other side, but so far everything has been routine enough, nothing has been particularly upsetting. It's probably kind of bad that incarcerating someone for long periods is so routine, but unfortunately it is. Where I clerked, I worked on a sentencing in a case where everyone in chambers said they'd been pretty choked up, but based on the victim impact statements (3 people died, horrible case).

But I haven't had to work on a death penalty case and I hope I don't have to. I think it's hard to predict/control your reactions when actually faced with it, too.

Return to “Legal Employment”