Student Loan Q--What's wrong with this plan?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Student Loan Q--What's wrong with this plan?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:41 am

Anon because of personal info...

I have 140K worth of student loan debt and a salary of 135K in a secondary market with a relatively low (well, relative to NYC, DC, LA etc.) COL.

I want to aggressively start paying off this debt asap. I was clerking last year so I've been on an IBR program and it's time to re-verify my eligibility for IBR.

My plan is to stay on IBR to keep my monthly debt-to-income ratio in a solid position (may be applying for a mortgage soon/car loan etc. soonish), while still making payments in excess of the required monthly payment (and even the required standard monthly payment).

Is there a downside to this re: penalties or the way that the "extra" will be allocated in terms of principal and interest?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Student Loan Q--What's wrong with this plan?

Postby 2014 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:49 am

Afaik there's not only no downside but it has the advantage of letting you target higher interest loans with your excess payments (unless you've consolidated)

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:15 pm

I recommend this thread for you as it discussesi loan repayment at length:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=220025&start=950

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:39 pm

I don't see any downside but I'm not sure you'll save a lot on monthly payments on IBR at that income level.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:49 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I don't see any downside but I'm not sure you'll save a lot on monthly payments on IBR at that income level.

purely speculating but i think your IBR monthly repayment may be about equal to your 10 year SoFi repayment. You should prolly refinance

Return to “Legal Employment”