(Potentially) Facing a difficult choice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

(Potentially) Facing a difficult choice

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:56 pm

Made a decision - thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BeenDidThat

Re: Facing a difficult choice

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:02 pm

AUSA if you can get it. Only way it would be different is if you were supporting a wife and two kids already. The debt is an issue, but a decent stint as an AUSA means you're probably biglaw eligible in the future if that's what you want. Especially given your desire to actually be a trial lawyer, this is an easy choice in my eyes.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:37 am

Unles you absolutely hate the city the AUSA is in I would take the AUSA job by a mile. Truthfully this isn't even close for me.

CanadianWolf

Re: (Potentially) Facing a difficult choice

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:43 am

Not enough details. It's clear that you want to be an AUSA in your firm's city but can't afford to do so due to your heavy debt burden, yet you want to be a litigator, not a paper pushing library grunt. How much debt ? Are you supporting a family ? Are you comfortable reneging on your word to the firm ?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:02 am

AUSA + PAYE + debt forgiveness after 10 years. Also, depending on what your starting salary is, you may be eligible for your school's LRAP.

[Edit]Just watch out for the tax bomb at year 10.There is no tax bomb for PSLF, but if that disappears, PAYE/IBR do have tax bombs at the end of the payment period.
Last edited by Yardbird on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:03 am

Aren't debt forgiveness programs subject to change ?

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:09 am

shadowofjazz wrote:AUSA + PAYE + debt forgiveness after 10 years. Also, depending on what your starting salary is, you may be eligible for your school's LRAP.

Just watch out for the tax bomb at year 10.

No tax bomb for PSLF

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:11 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Aren't debt forgiveness programs subject to change ?
There's no guarantee it will still be around, but at the moment it looks like it will stay for at least a while.

If they do get rid of it, you can consolidate/refinance to a longer payment plan to minimize payments (or maybe refinance your mortgage at that point for some equity, pay off student loans completely from refinancing, and then you get to deduct interest payments that you otherwise wouldn't be able to due to the phase out on student loan interest payment deductions).

If you have the opportunity for your dream job you should take it. Biglaw will likely remain an option should you need it (Article III clerkship + AUSA), but there is no reason to let the debt control your decision when you have options to pay it off (albeit slower).

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:12 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:AUSA + PAYE + debt forgiveness after 10 years. Also, depending on what your starting salary is, you may be eligible for your school's LRAP.

Just watch out for the tax bomb at year 10.

No tax bomb for PSLF
Oh yea, forgot about the IRS' stance on PSLF/LRAP. Edited my first post to correct this.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:12 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Unles you absolutely hate the city the AUSA is in I would take the AUSA job by a mile. Truthfully this isn't even close for me.

Isn't there also a pretty decent chance that OP could switch locations after a few years in that office? Going all out for tje AUSA job seems CR to me though I also bring my own biases into this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Yeah, I was going to say that I think switching offices once in is easier than getting in in the first place. A number of the people who have left my office - which sounds similar to the one you're considering - have gone to other districts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:25 am

OP is your UG debt eligible for PSLF discharge? BC even with biglaw, it's gonna take you close to ten years to pay down $400k anyway. Might as well do the PSLF route, stick to minimum payments, and get the whole thing discharged. Would substantially lower your opportunity cost by freeing up a ton of money to invest with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:13 am

Return to “Legal Employment”