Incoming 1st Years - When's Your Start Date?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Start Date is

July
3%
Aug
17%
Sept
51%
Oct
22%
Nov
5%
Dec
2%

Total votes: 63

Anonymous User

Incoming 1st Years - When's Your Start Date?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:22 am

Poll says it all.

Edit: I edited to add Aug and the whole poll restarted. Oops, sorry I don't know how to i internet. :oops:
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Devlin

Re: Incoming 1st Years - When's Your Start Date?

Postby Devlin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Why is August omitted?

JAYINSD

Postby JAYINSD » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Devlin wrote:Why is August omitted?

I think that means August. No firm could possibly start in the month of bar exam.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:53 pm

JAYINSD wrote:

I think that means August. No firm could possibly start in the month of bar exam.

What? Some states bar exams are in July.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:55 pm

Devlin wrote:
JAYINSD wrote:

What? Some states bar exams are in July.

I think they were trying to say that they thought the poll meant to say August instead of July.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:21 pm

Have people gotten the precise start date or are you waiting for it?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:35 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Have people gotten the precise start date or are you waiting for it?

Just got the choices the other day. Seems like a fair number of people I know are still waiting. Maybe 50/50 right now.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:37 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Have people gotten the precise start date or are you waiting for it?

Just got the choices the other day. Seems like a fair number of people I know are still waiting. Maybe 50/50 right now.

You have choices? I talked to the firm a month ago they told me a date but I haven't gotten a letter or anything formal.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:38 pm

September awww yeeeah dat sweet sweet bar vacation break

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:03 am

Somewhat unrelated, but what is the normal time period in which NYC firms finalize offers and one could expect to have an offer letter by? Does it matter if it's a 100% offer firm?

(Specifically, if I'm fortunate to be offered, when will I have an offer letter so that I can refinance a chunk of my loans?)

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Somewhat unrelated, but what is the normal time period in which NYC firms finalize offers and one could expect to have an offer letter by? Does it matter if it's a 100% offer firm?

(Specifically, if I'm fortunate to be offered, when will I have an offer letter so that I can refinance a chunk of my loans?)

Offers come at the end of the summer, so Aug 1 or so.

JasonSehorn

Postby JasonSehorn » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Somewhat unrelated, but what is the normal time period in which NYC firms finalize offers and one could expect to have an offer letter by? Does it matter if it's a 100% offer firm?

Most of the time you won't be able to refinance or consolidate your loans until you graduate.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:13 am

JasonSehorn wrote:

Most of the time you won't be able to refinance or consolidate your loans until you graduate.

SoFi requires that you have been admitted to the bar.

On-topic: Haven't heard from my firm yet...

Postby 2014 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:43 am

I think there's one company that lets you refi with an offer letter. Not all firms give an actual letter though.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:41 pm

For incoming 1st years not starting in August: is anyone here doing legal work before starting at the firm? I'm thinking of asking the clinic director at my school if I can help him in the interim. Any other thoughts?

ft8fc

Postby ft8fc » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:59 pm

Mine starts in September.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:31 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:For incoming 1st years not starting in August: is anyone here doing legal work before starting at the firm? I'm thinking of asking the clinic director at my school if I can help him in the interim. Any other thoughts?

...Why?

Take a bar trip and never look back

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:02 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:For incoming 1st years not starting in August: is anyone here doing legal work before starting at the firm? I'm thinking of asking the clinic director at my school if I can help him in the interim. Any other thoughts?

...Why?

Married. And I have ~2 months from bar to work starting. So I'm planning to travel for 2 weeks but I would like to do something the rest of the time. Also considering working during bar prep.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

...Why?

Married. And I have ~2 months from bar to work starting. So I'm planning to travel for 2 weeks but I would like to do something the rest of the time. Also considering working during bar prep.

This is ridiculous.

thewaterlanding

Postby thewaterlanding » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:30 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

...Why?

Spend time with your wife or kids if you have them yet. You will have plenty of time to work when you start. Or just veg out on the couch for 2 months.

Also, just no to work and studying for the bar. That sounds miserable.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Seriously, nothing wrong with watching TV and playing videogames all day for 2 months. Not like you'll have much time to do it once you start working.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:45 pm

still waiting on start date. anyone else?

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:still waiting on start date. anyone else?

Yep...

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:47 am

Working fulltime BL (billing 40-50/wk) while studying for the bar was one of the most miserable times of my life. Yes, it's doable, but the bar is nothing to gamble with. Is it worth risking your job and undercutting 3 years of hard work to start early? If finances/family circumstances/firm require both, at a minimum, request no work 2 weeks out.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:10 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Working fulltime BL (billing 40-50/wk) while studying for the bar was one of the most miserable times of my life. Yes, it's doable, but the bar is nothing to gamble with. Is it worth risking your job and undercutting 3 years of hard work to start early? If finances/family circumstances/firm require both, at a minimum, request no work 2 weeks out.

This seems like good advice to me. For similar reasons, I am taking Barbri (firm is paying, but this is income to me that is taxable) because it seems insane to roll the dice on passing the bar over $1,000.

Return to “Legal Employment”