Dress code at NYC firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JasonSehorn
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:24 pm

Dress code at NYC firms

Postby JasonSehorn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:07 am

Do all V10 firms require a strict suit dress code, or do some firms have a business casual dress code? Any specifics on firms is greatly appreciated. TYIA

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 852
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:01 am

every firm is different. some require business formal; others require business casual; some others (though probably not any V10 NYC firms) are okay with even less than biz casual. my impression is that biz casual is the norm.

why do you want to know?

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby 2014 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:27 am

Most are biz cas formally but it tends to be floor or group dependent. If the norm in your group is suits you are likely to do suit even if the handbook says biz cas.

At least Cravath is straight bus formal tho

User avatar
Avian
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby Avian » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:30 am

JasonSehorn wrote:Do all V10 firms require a strict suit dress code, or do some firms have a business casual dress code? Any specifics on firms is greatly appreciated. TYIA

If you're wondering for a particular firm, just ask someone in recruiting, they'll be happy to tell you I'm sure.

JasonSehorn
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby JasonSehorn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks for all the replies

User avatar
BiglawAssociate
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:43 pm

Mainly biz casual since you're going to be stuck in your office all day not meeting clients anyway

v5junior
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:31 am

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby v5junior » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:18 pm

definitely a spectrum from biz formal to completely naked based entirely on vault ranking.

zosluu
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby zosluu » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:34 pm

This may come off as a dumb question but I'm interested in a serious answer. Do you think a bright brown leather briefcase is too much? I think it would look good with any suit and business casual attire I wear. It's definitely an appropriate brief case for any attorney. But I'm going to be a 1L SA and I don't want to come off too flashy or the SA that's obsessed with his clothing style.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby 2014 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:51 pm

zosluu wrote:This may come off as a dumb question but I'm interested in a serious answer. Do you think a bright brown leather briefcase is too much? I think it would look good with any suit and business casual attire I wear. It's definitely an appropriate brief case for any attorney. But I'm going to be a 1L SA and I don't want to come off too flashy or the SA that's obsessed with his clothing style.

It's not that it would be too much for the office it's that it would be completely functionless and you don't want to do anything that draws attention such as making people wonder "uh...why?".

If you inexplicably have to bring work home at some point then go for it, but you probably won't.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:06 pm

,.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby chuckbass » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Link plz

JAYINSD
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby JAYINSD » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:11 pm

2014 wrote:
zosluu wrote:This may come off as a dumb question but I'm interested in a serious answer. Do you think a bright brown leather briefcase is too much? I think it would look good with any suit and business casual attire I wear. It's definitely an appropriate brief case for any attorney. But I'm going to be a 1L SA and I don't want to come off too flashy or the SA that's obsessed with his clothing style.

It's not that it would be too much for the office it's that it would be completely functionless and you don't want to do anything that draws attention such as making people wonder "uh...why?".

If you inexplicably have to bring work home at some point then go for it, but you probably won't.


You don't use leather briefcase to carry you laptop during the summer?

zosluu
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby zosluu » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:29 pm


zosluu
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby zosluu » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:31 pm

2014 wrote:
zosluu wrote:This may come off as a dumb question but I'm interested in a serious answer. Do you think a bright brown leather briefcase is too much? I think it would look good with any suit and business casual attire I wear. It's definitely an appropriate brief case for any attorney. But I'm going to be a 1L SA and I don't want to come off too flashy or the SA that's obsessed with his clothing style.

It's not that it would be too much for the office it's that it would be completely functionless and you don't want to do anything that draws attention such as making people wonder "uh...why?".

If you inexplicably have to bring work home at some point then go for it, but you probably won't.


I was going to get the brief case because I assumed that I would need to my laptop. If that's not the case then I won't need it.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby chuckbass » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:34 pm

zosluu wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Link plz

http://www.ebags.com/product/kenneth-co ... 0596012338

If you did want to bring a bag to work, this is fine and completely inoffensive. I'd personally go for a more muted color though so you're never clashing with your shoes.

zosluu
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby zosluu » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:08 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
zosluu wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Link plz

http://www.ebags.com/product/kenneth-co ... 0596012338

If you did want to bring a bag to work, this is fine and completely inoffensive. I'd personally go for a more muted color though so you're never clashing with your shoes.



Awesome. Thank you!

JAYINSD
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby JAYINSD » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:18 pm

zosluu wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Link plz

http://www.ebags.com/product/kenneth-co ... 0596012338


absolutely fine, very similar to the one I am planning to use for the summer

zosluu
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby zosluu » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:20 pm

JAYINSD wrote:
zosluu wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Link plz

http://www.ebags.com/product/kenneth-co ... 0596012338


absolutely fine, very similar to the one I am planning to use for the summer


Thank you!

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Just be forewarned, at some firms associates love to make fun (in a lighthearted way) of the summer associates who show up with briefcases. I can't think of a single actual associate at my firm who carries a briefcase.

JAYINSD
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby JAYINSD » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:Just be forewarned, at some firms associates love to make fun (in a lighthearted way) of the summer associates who show up with briefcases. I can't think of a single actual associate at my firm who carries a briefcase.


It is not a brief case more like a messenger bag for your laptop.

User avatar
J9ofDiamonds
Posts: 3367
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Mine is biz casual, they sent out an email to all the SAs

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:21 pm

JAYINSD wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:Just be forewarned, at some firms associates love to make fun (in a lighthearted way) of the summer associates who show up with briefcases. I can't think of a single actual associate at my firm who carries a briefcase.


It is not a brief case more like a messenger bag for your laptop.

The linked bag above? It has a handle and a detachable strap. It's a briefcase.

I'm not saying don't use one, merely that you should be prepared for the possibility of gentle ribbing if you do.

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JAYINSD wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:Just be forewarned, at some firms associates love to make fun (in a lighthearted way) of the summer associates who show up with briefcases. I can't think of a single actual associate at my firm who carries a briefcase.


It is not a brief case more like a messenger bag for your laptop.

The linked bag above? It has a handle and a detachable strap. It's a briefcase.

I'm not saying don't use one, merely that you should be prepared for the possibility of gentle ribbing if you do.

Accidental anon, this was me.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby sparty99 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:08 pm

Kenneth Cole reaction is a shitty brand. You can do better.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Postby 2014 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:54 pm

You will either not need a laptop or they will issue you one




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.