Taking a day off over the summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
umichman

Taking a day off over the summer

Postby umichman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:05 am

I know there is another threat floating aroudn about taking a day off as an SA. I am doing a paid internship at inhouse at f-500, how bad does it look to request a day off? Not that I am overly concerned with this, but will they dock my pay for that day even if they are paying me weekly?

CanadianWolf

Re: Taking a day off over the summer

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:07 am

Unlikely that you would be docked a day's pay, but they might give your cubicle/office to another.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:19 pm

How bad is it to request 2 days off of an unpaid internship with legal aid? I have a doctor's appointment in June and in July. I can make up those days by working an extra couple of days after the internship officially ends.

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How bad is it to request 2 days off of an unpaid internship with legal aid? I have a doctor's appointment in June and in July. I can make up those days by working an extra couple of days after the internship officially ends.

Nobody cares about unpaid interns as far as taking time off since anything you do is free labor. Take a whole week. Unless they hire interns at which point take it more seriously and maybe just take a half day

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Well, I *might* be hired by the org. I am looking into postgraduate fellowships and would like the org to be a fellowship sponsor. 10 weeks is a short time, and I'm worried that taking 2 half days is gonna look bad.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, I *might* be hired by the org. I am looking into postgraduate fellowships and would like the org to be a fellowship sponsor. 10 weeks is a short time, and I'm worried that taking 2 half days is gonna look bad.

Won't look bad at all if it's for medical appointments. Absolutely won't be an issue. Just tell your supervisor in advance.

Return to “Legal Employment”